Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
? the sdk is downloadble i have it it cost me nothing
P1i and E51
Spacer
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-06 18:55
BTW there is final sdk on eric. site released today.
There are also free c++ tools for linux (u can make symbian apps, but there is no emulator so u compile and run on your p800)
If you want to emulate runing of your native symbian 7 app.
then u need codewarrior from metrowerks.
With java u can emulate and develop already withSDK avail. for free already
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-06 19:39
Yes, I know, I have too much free time on my hands. But, I can't help it, I just love to debate about something with know-it-all clueless kids.

Quote:
You are a desperate Nokia fanboy

Ah, do I miss being a child... If I were one, I'd probably would reply to you: And you are a desperate SonyEricsson fangirl... Too bad I'm a grownup...

Quote:
You cannot even grasp how the mobile phones you comment on work. If you need to justify yourself purchasing the 7650 instead of the P800, go to a Nokia forum.

I will never buy a 7650 because I don't need a smartphone like that. I need a phone/PDA combo like the P800, so I'll probably buy that. Not everything is a Nokia vs. SE battle, you know. If exactly the same P800 was produced by Nokia instead of SE, I would still buy it. You probably wouldn't, that's what is so sad.

Quote:
Series60 is a UI, nothing more. UI stands for User Interface. IT IS NOT A OPERATING SYSTEM.

Series 60 is not just an UI, it also adds support for other things like MMS, camera etc. Symiban 6.1 Series 60 is a PLATFORM which will be more popular and widespread than Symbian 7.0 UIQ. Are you saying otherwise?

Quote:
There are no Series60 apps, they are Symbian apps using the Series60 interface. If Nokia put Series60 on top of Linux, none of the apps would work, cause they were written for Symbian. All apps written to use the Series60 interface would work on a Symbian 7 codebase with little or no conversion needed.

Oh, really? How many Symbian apps have you written? Can you tell me what an active object is? Active scheduler? Descriptors? A store? A MBM? Uikon? No? Well, I have been developing for Symbian for quite some time now, so I think that I know a little more about Symbian programming than you do.

Quote:
Just showing how little you understand, you say Symbian7 is not much better than 6.1.

Aaaargh, let me repeat myself, Symbian 7.0 IS more advanced than Symbian 6.1. BUT, that has NOTHING TO DO with the amount of software available for it and its quality.

Quote:
Oh go use a bluetooth headset with your 7650. What's that, you cant? Oh yeah thats right, the 6.1 release has a problem with that, thank god I'm getting a phone based on Symbian 7.

Well, Nokia 3650 will support a bluetooth headset and it is using Symbian 6.1 and Series 60. How can that be? It must be some Nokia's mistake. After all, Knut G., a well known Symbian expert, claims that such a thing in not possible. I'm so confused...

[ This Message was edited by: faca on 2002-12-06 18:41 ]
Knut.G.
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-06 20:19
Sigh.

Faca:
You are a desperate Nokia fanboy, deal with it. Pretending you are a grownup(mentally speaking) doesnt work, since people only have to read you posts on this forum to see otherwise.

Series60 is not just a UI? This really proves that you know jack shit. It is NOT a platform, the platform is the Symbian operating system. It adds support for MMS? Are you completely daft? Nokia has not been able to write a decent MMS implementation yet, and it certainly has not done so with Series60. All the MMS workings lies in the Symbian operating system, no where else. The only thing Series60 does, is make it available to the end user in its own UI.

--------------------------
Oh, really? How many Symbian apps have you written? Can you tell me what an active object is? Active scheduler? Descriptors? A store? A MBM? Uikon? No? Well, I have been developing for Symbian for quite some time now, so I think that I know a little more about Symbian programming than you do.
-----------------------------
You have been reading up on Developer papers, haven't you, you naughty boy? If I bothered to read up on it, I could know what those things are. I do not however, but honestly, I doubt you do as well. Is this your pathetic reply to my statement about the Series60 being a GUI? Let us get facts out:

Are you stating that a program written for Series60 on the Symbian6.1 operating system will work if they put Series60 on Linux? Yes or no pls.

I honestly doubt you have written a competent Symbian app in all your life. I welcome you to prove me wrong, but the FUD you spread here only proves you are able to read whitepapers, nothing more.

Being such a expert on Symbian programming, explain to me then, how the porting of a program from 7650 to P800 is very hard. Please. You clearly do not have a clue what you are talking about. You have contradicted yourself every second post in this thread, and now you are supposed to be an experienced Symbian programmer? Please. I have some programming knowledge you know, and changing the user input from keyboard to mouse/touchscreen aint that hard.

-Knut
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-06 21:35
Quote:

On 2002-12-06 20:19, Knut.G. wrote:
Being such a expert on Symbian programming, explain to me then, how the porting of a program from 7650 to P800 is very hard. Please.
-Knut

Please, please, please explain to me how this could so easily be done. No, seriously I really like to know.

Quote:

On 2002-12-06 14:05, gadgetboytom wrote:
the funny thing is that nokia are using v7 on the 9210 replacment

and moto on paragon II and siemens and loads more people

not to mention series 60 apps should work with little or no conversion on v7 products

the p800 like the 7650 are pioneer phones

[ This Message was edited by: gadgetboytom on 2002-12-06 13:06 ]

Same question here. Please do tell me where you get your information from.

Btw, aren't you the same guy who started the 7650i rumours(among others) who's all been proven wrong?

Thanks.
carpe noctem
Knut.G.
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-06 23:27
Well Raven, I'll try to sum it up.

Psion who made the Epoc operating system(Epoc32 at first) which Symbian is based on, never really broke much of the application compatibility when they released new revisions of this OS. All an author had to do, was basicly recompile it to fit the new screen, and maybe a few other things.

Symbian will not be so daft as to totally change API's and OS layout because its a new version, thereby destroying software compatibility and losing developer support. It's pure logic. There's a reason most apps work on all of Microsofts Operating Systems.

Now seeing as Series 60 lies on TOP of the Symbian OS, what people have to do to convert a app from 7650 to P800 for example, is to take into account any changes the main operating system, and convert to the new UI, which in this case is UIQ. The program itself will convert rather fast, seeing as its all Symbian, the only thing which will take some time is the UI change.

The debate here is how much time will it take. In my opinion, this will not be a big issue. We are talking about the UI here, not core program functions. This is not like converting an app from Windows to Linux. Of course we never know, Symbian might have been so daft to completely break all compatibility, but I seriously doubt this is the case.

-Knut
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 00:37
Thanks, Knut. I really do hope that it'll be as easy as you predict here. A lot of software written for the Symbian 6.1 Series 60 will be very usefull on the P800 as well.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess, and if this turnes out to be true, there's no longer any reason for me not getting one of these puppies!
carpe noctem
Knut.G.
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 02:05
Yeah Raven, I hope so too.

There is gonna be a lot of Symbian phones coming out, and there might be more than 2 UI's used in the future too, so I hope cross platform compatibility will be ok. That way Symbian phones will hold out much better against MS phones as well.

-Knut
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 04:14
Yep! So, Knut, do you know more about these new symbian powered smartphones that's coming? I was really looking forward to the samsung one, but apparently it's not coming before 2004.

This post was posted from a Nokia 7650

Ruvjet
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 08:12
Quote:

Btw, aren't you the same guy who started the 7650i rumours(among others) who's all been proven wrong?

Thanks.

and the 9310 rumours... and the 'SE are gonna release phones on 2nd DEC' rumours... and the 'T400, T500, T700, trust me' rumours...
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 10:50
Quote:
The debate here is how much time will it take

@Knut.G.: The debate here is (and I'm repeating this for the third time, so please read more carefully) that I claim that Series 60 will be a much more popular and widespread platform so it will have much more software and of better quality. Sure, some of that software will be ported to UIQ, but not all of it because most of the companies will decide that it just doesn't pay off to port to UIQ because only P800 supports it and we all know that SE only has about 5% of market share while Nokia, Siemens and Samsung together have much much more (and they all support Series 60).

Knut.G.
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 17:07
Quote:
@Knut.G.: The debate here is (and I'm repeating this for the third time, so please read more carefully) that I claim that Series 60 will be a much more popular and widespread platform so it will have much more software and of better quality. Sure, some of that software will be ported to UIQ, but not all of it because most of the companies will decide that it just doesn't pay off to port to UIQ because only P800 supports it and we all know that SE only has about 5% of market share while Nokia, Siemens and Samsung together have much much more (and they all support Series 60).

You are as usual repeating a lot for the third(or more) time. Your have a right to your opinion, but I think you are wrong. Your grasp of how market share works also seems a bit off. How does SE's 5% marketshare come into play? Or Siemens, or Samsungs market share? What's interesting in regards to SYMBIAN apps is the marketshare for SYMBIAN phones, not Series20/40 phones, and not SE phones with SE's own OS.

Who cares if Siemens support Series60 if they have yet to release a phone using it? Or Samsung for that matter. Nokia has sold between 1-1.5 million 7650 now, and about 750-900 thousand 9210(not sure about this figure). If the P800 is a success, and sells about the same as the 7650(probably a lot more, seeing as it has no competitors) it will have maybe between 30-45 percent of the SYMBIAN market, how is this not attractive to developers? Even if Nokia sells like crazy on the new Series60 phones, P800 will still have a marketshare of maybe 20%.

You have yet to prove to me and the forum how porting an app from Series60 to UIQ will be difficult. You also fail to grasp the notion that apps can be done on the P800 which are not usable on a Series60 device. Look at the new Opera browser for mobile phones. When they were reviewed on ZDNET, he didnt want to show the browser on the 7650, and instead focused on P800, which he said was "a extremely nice product". Developer love the P800 and the possibilities it provides, so lets just see how things turn out eh? I'm willing to bet a lot of money that things will turn out juuuuust fine.

-Knut
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 18:33

OK, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Knut.G.
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 19:25
I agree.

Guess we can agree on something Faca

-Knut

[ This Message was edited by: Knut.G. on 2002-12-07 18:26 ]
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 21:07
@knut.G., about the opera browser not being for the 7650, that's because the browser requires too much memory to work properly on the 7650 (unfortunatly). It willl however work on the 3650. I'm sure the p800'll be an attractive device for developers and i'm sure there'll be loads of apps for it, but i don't think we should expect too much too soon.

This post was posted from a Nokia 7650

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi