Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > No webcam or video recording on P800

Author No webcam or video recording on P800
jamiescott
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 15:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
not just every API, every piece of hardware of software, at the end of the day, they're configured to work one way, all you have to do is know how to re-configure them to do what you want them to, I remember doing my self PS1 hack before it was the done thing, i had so much fun, luckily I had 6 of them to muck about with, even though it only took me 4
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 15:27
@gadgetboytom: Have you ever done any Symbian programming? Maybe you or webwatcher could explain to us how a 'Symbian API' can be hacked?

I'm afraid that video recording and other camera apps just won't be possilble on the P800...

[ This Message was edited by: faca on 2002-12-05 14:33 ]
gadgetboytom
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-05 15:35
it dont need to be "hacked" as such it needs to be mapped to make it avalible for use by 3rd party apps

it exists as hardware in the os its just a case of figuring out how to access the api

P1i and E51
cykor
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-05 15:43
yes it's totally useless for hiding the API...

and maybe it's much more dangerous than releasing it...
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 15:52

@gadgetboytom: But, you're just guessing here, right? You don't really know? Well, my guess is that if SE doesn't want others to access the camera API in their product, then you won't be able to access it no matter what you do. And even if some 'hacker' finds a way to do it (no software company would risk doing that because they could get in trouble with SE), I'm not so sure I would want to install any such software on my phone because who knows what else it does (sends random SMS/MMS messages to people, records entered passwords and then sends them somewhere, takes pictures or records sound when you don't want to and then sends that somewhere etc.).

Anyway, not exposing a camera API to developers is big big minus for P800. I afraid that Series 60 devices (7650, 3650, future Siemens, Samsung and Panasonic smartphones) will have much much better software than P800 will.

gadgetboytom
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-05 16:01
Quote:

On 2002-12-05 15:52, faca wrote:

I afraid that Series 60 devices (7650, 3650, future Siemens, Samsung and Panasonic smartphones) will have much much better software than P800 will.

you gotta be kidding right?

Version 7.0 is so much more superior to Series 60
http://www.symbian.com/technology/symbos-v7x-det.html
Version 6.1 (Series 60)
http://www.symbian.com/press-office/series_60_version10_po.pdf

you dont have a clue

[ This Message was edited by: gadgetboytom on 2002-12-05 15:06 ]
jcpsad
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-05 16:21
that sucks! its a bad move! unlike 7650 w/c is able to record videos and can be used as a webcam too!
www.photos.panelo.com
www.panelo.com
www.bilog.panelo.com
www.pbalive.panelo.com
Spacer
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-05 18:36
Faca: well you are righjt and correctly pointed out what
gunnar.forsgren@sonyericsson.com
said on forum:
http://www.ericsson.com/mobilityworld/sub/open/technologies/epoc/forum_replies.html?TID=332&Start=1&Step=25
However message has been edited from that time and if you read
Disclaimer: The material provided is aimed at clarifying functionality towards the developer 'engineer-to-engineer' and shall in no way be taken as an official company statement.

Then u notice that this is not official !. They are still considering options and maybe in same way how in 7650 was camera api added later in same way it will be added for p800.
Personally if i will debug existing soft of p800 and will find way how to call camera.. i will produce software where user will be acknowleged about security risk that he is removing any SE responsibility for security breaches... (if such protection ever exist!!)

They just act as company which wants to sell more phones.. and with this type of publishing they will be maybe able to sell this Phone even in Saudi where 7650 were restrected because of camera features!

Well i am 95% sure that if you want u will be able to record mpg4 video limited to your memstick on your P800 and you will be glad to pay for it to know software company!
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 19:57
@gadgetboytom:

Symbian 7.0 UIQ:
- used only in P800 so far
- P800 not released yet, who knows when will it be
- developers need to buy a whole new IDE (CodeWarrior) if they want to develop for this phone
- no software available for it yet

Symbian 6.1 Series 60:
- used in 7650 - already available and couple of million of these devices already sold
- will be used in 3650 - even cheaper than 7650
- will be used in Nokia N-Gage
- will be used in future Siemens smartphones
- will be used in future Samsung smartphones
- will be used in future Panasonic smartphones
- will be used in future Sendo smartphones
- already has some very good software available for it

Pop-quiz: which of these two platforms will have more software and of better quality? Just look at the amount of devices available for each platform. Of course that a lot more developers will choose Series 60 for development because they will be able to sell it to more people.

And if I don't have a clue, then maybe you can explain to me what is it that Symbian 7.0 has that is not possible with Series 60?

lazarini
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-05 20:03
Hehehe FACA is in his element again :=>

This post was posted from a R520

faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 23:15

Yes, I am. Oh, and I see that I forgot one more important thing:

Symbian 7.0 UIQ:
- no camera API

Symbian 6.1 Series 60:
- camera API available

Spacer
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-06 10:58
Faca if you wil check diagram of Symbian you will see taht there is not particular ONLY camera subsection of sdk.. its separate sdk supplied with symbian for every different model...
Otherwise you are right only about differences between ver 6 and 7
just check diagrams of both system components and compare for yourself dont expect to do the same instead of you (otherwise they will think some nasty things about you as they did, but you just thinking, nothing wrong with that quite opposite ).
ppcrockar
P990
PM
Posted: 2002-12-06 11:21
Of course Symbian 6.1 Series 60 (Nokia) has more software. They have been available some time now. The software for the P800 will not be available until the device is launched. No reason to launch software before the device is available..

I think it's nice that the P800 is based on Symbian v7 and not on v6. BTW according to Nokia, the problems they had with the bluetooth not working with headsets on the 7650 was becuase of Symbian v6.

What's the big deal about being able to record video? I guess the frame rate would be pretty lousy anyway. I have a video recording option on my digital camera. How often have I used? Well I tried it, but that's about it.
gadgetboytom
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-06 11:44
Version 7 is vastly superior to 6.1 if it wasnt it would be called version 6!!!

Fact

maybe this helps

http://www.symbian.com/technology/SymbianOSv7funcdesc11.pdf

[ This Message was edited by: gadgetboytom on 2002-12-06 10:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gadgetboytom on 2002-12-06 10:46 ]
Knut.G.
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-06 13:56
Faca:
You're kinda grasping for straws here, arent you? The Symbian7 architecture, and the P800 which uses it is CLEARLY superior to the series 60 products you name(Symbian 6.x). Take a look at the P800 whitepaper and see what it can do, and what the Series 60 phones CANNOT do. If you want the feature set in the P800, there is no match, end of story.

And about the camera:
The fact that the camera API is not made available means squat. Look at Palm developers, that have hacked the system so badly that each new os revision will break several apps, because they use undocumented features. I don't understand the great thing about using the P800 as a videocamera, but for those who do, I'm pretty sure a developer will find a way.

If the camera is the one negative thing you can say about the P800 faca, then I guess you really are desperate. Why can't you just accept that a good product is coming to the market, and Nokia aren't the ones making it?

-Knut

[ This Message was edited by: Knut.G. on 2002-12-06 13:11 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi