Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > No webcam or video recording on P800

Author No webcam or video recording on P800
invaders
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 11:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
More official bad news from SE. There will be no possibility for developers to adress the built-in camera on the P800. What that means: there will be no way to write software that turns the P800 into a videocamera or webcam, surveillance camera or whatever. SE say that there is a risk that hackers use the camera to spy on people, so they don't provide the API (tools) to work with the camera. Ridiculous. The camera in Nokia 7650 is freely available to developers. If hackers decide what honest developers can do, we live in a reversed world.

From the SE Developers Forum, this was posted by SE Develepor Support people:

"For this product it was decided to not disclose a native camera API towards third party developers.
One concern can be that the existing internal API's are not suitable for exposure (no pun intended) towards third parties and would require an abstraction layer for acceptable robustness. A public API needs to be concise, well documented and robust.
There are also considerable security/integrity issues associated with disclosing a public camera API. Image capture is a powerful capability in a Internet connected device and could easily be abused by malicious applications without end user awareness.
Someone assessing risks could say that the immediate availability of network connectivity in combination with image capture is a sitting duck waiting for those rogue apps to strike. Of course for a developer it is a very exciting feature to play with.
In case of the P800 the camera feature is available to end users through the integrated native 'Communicam' application."
DmX
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 11:37
very bad news

i still hope that someone will be able to make a video program for the P800
jamiescott
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 12:31
Although the resolution would be poor, I know it would be possible to 'record' the image as it appears on the screen, as in a constant screen capture. And I'm also pretty sure that although a bit of hacking through the system may be needed, it would be possible for one to make a video capture app through the camara aswell...

[ This Message was edited by: jamiescott on 2002-12-05 11:32 ]
Floberg
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 12:33
I agree with DmX, VERY sad!!

The "statement" from SE sounds ridiculous...! If you let people take regular photos, why not let them record videos?

NokiaKilla
R520
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 12:39
You must know how hackers think. Be a hacker and you will know. (Sorry I am not the one )

P.S.
They break the rules.
`*-.,_,.-*`´*-.,_ rules _,.-*`´*-.,_,.-*´

When we have not what we like... we must like what we have.
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 12:43
Ooooooh this is bad, bad, bad news.
carpe noctem
lazarini
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-05 13:06
This is the lamest statement by SE i hope they change their mind ! Maybe a group peticion will help they cant do this to us just aint fair !

This post was posted from a R520

JaJa
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 13:13
Believe that the quoted text below could be the real reason. The API is not stable enough to be published. The second claim is also valid, but perhaps discussed in the statement to give more weight to the decision to leave the API out (maybe for now).

But think of it -- a simple native app that you get, could snap your P800 memory full of pictures and then your phone is dead. Heard of the 7650 freeze when memory fills? Or some software secretly takes pictures and sends them through GPRS somewhere. Someone somewhere already disussed this, don't rememebr where.

Quote:

"For this product it was decided to not disclose a native camera API towards third party developers.
One concern can be that the existing internal API's are not suitable for exposure (no pun intended) towards third parties and would require an abstraction layer for acceptable robustness. A public API needs to be concise, well documented and robust.

jamiescott
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 13:51
For years Hackers have been trying to perfect the technique of pin-pointing the placement of a mobile phone whilst keeping the line open, If you have a videophone and a fully open OS, hackers could do the same with mobile phones as they can with your home PC, I used to often have a peek through the eye of strangers webcam's, but I was merely playing at being a hacker, not actually doing any harm, although I do think I freaked out a few peeps. If a hacker knows someone's number and can see through there phone, oh and by the way, so you realise the real danger, these days most countries Mafia's have as many Hackers on their side as they do Thugs.

God bless you Vladmir Levin, and you Captin Crunch. We will forget you not!!
arroyootje
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 14:10
but thanks to hackers there willl be a little hacker somewhere who will probably find a way to do it anyway!!!!
jamiescott
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 14:13
Well I'm certainly going to get a second one to muck about with if no one's figured it out by the first big price drop (I don't want to take the risk with my first one, I want her to last a while)
DmX
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 14:19
New: Video Recording with Audio on Wind Operator (ITA)
There has been a new Video recording software released. Its called VideoMMS and it is an advanced video capturing program. With this application you are able to record video of maximum 100kb, but you can set the bitrate, framerate and video dimension. You are also able to send the clip via MMS and even view it on the phone in full screen. Unfortunately its available for WIND (Italian Operator) customers only and is downloadable via GPRS. The size is 157Kbytes (SIS) and it costs 0.60

www.allabouter6.com

they have video with audio now
and we dont even have video by it self!

this really sucks!!!

7650 and 3650 are going to have things better than the P800
DmX
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 14:19
New: Video Recording with Audio on Wind Operator (ITA)
There has been a new Video recording software released. Its called VideoMMS and it is an advanced video capturing program. With this application you are able to record video of maximum 100kb, but you can set the bitrate, framerate and video dimension. You are also able to send the clip via MMS and even view it on the phone in full screen. Unfortunately its available for WIND (Italian Operator) customers only and is downloadable via GPRS. The size is 157Kbytes (SIS) and it costs 0.60

www.allabouter6.com

they have video with audio now
and we dont even have video by it self!

this really sucks!!!

7650 and 3650 are going to have some things better than the P800
gadgetboytom
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-05 14:28
oh please!

it wont take 5 min to figure out how to use the camera in 3rd party apps

P1i and E51
webwatcher
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-05 14:59
Relaxed every API is hackable! don't worry.. within a few weeks the will have it running, .. like the X-box.. no no.. you can not hack it.. it's unpossible! well as everyone now it;s hackable
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi