Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > p1i wifi issues

1234  Next
Author p1i wifi issues
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 17:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I have a brand new P1i and its working perfectly apart from the wifi. Now maybe its an issue with compatibility between my router and p1i, but my p1i just refuses to let any application access the net.
It will detect the acess point, it will accept the WEP code, it will connect within the WLAN manager. It will even give me an accurate IP address.
However when I try using any web apps(opera, fring, rdm+, rss feeds etc...) the phone will give a 'remote server not found' error or some generic connection error.
When I try to access my routers IP address, it will simply tell me there is a network error.

I have a micronet wireless router connected to an ADSL modem. The router is set to B+G mode, WEP security, Set to be an access point and automatically assign channels.

I changed the wifi mode on the phone to ad-hoc and it worked for a few seconds before giving the same error. I set it back to inrastructure and changed my router to only B mode, this worked for a good half hour till I turned off the WLAN. When I turned it on again, the same thing happened.

I've tried fixed IP addresses, fixed channels etc...It's all giving the same error.

Please guys, any advice? I really do wish this one facet of the phone would work as its one of the main reasons I got this over an m600.

Every other wifi device connects without a glitch.
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 18:13
I had this bother. I did a master reset to delete all my previous wifi dabblings and then did the following:

Enable WLAN
Search for network
When yours is found click connect
Enter WEP key when asked
That's it.

I made the mistake before of setting up an account and trying to do it that way but the above is the only way that worked for me. The master reset was crucial.
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 18:17
thanks, but the master reset didnt change anything. I'll try and see if it works at a different wifi spot if i can find one. I guess its just an incompatibility between the router and phone.
Also does power saving change anything?

[ This Message was edited by: DagMX on 2007-08-15 18:23 ]
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 18:44
So did I initially but I didn't get online. I must have done something wrong as must have you. A master reset will lose user-installed apps, yes. I also lost my pre-installed themes but they are available on this site.
alfheim
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 23:03
I have a similar problem I was wondering if anybody knew anything about or had a solution to.

I cannot connect my P1 to my 3com office connect router. it says that its's connected, and thinks that it's connected (uses the right pasphrase and all that) but the IP address the phone has is not one given out by the router. (Probably the default address used when no DHCP server is found) And obviously it can't use the connection to get on the net as it's not properly connected.

I have another wireless router from linksys with the exact same setup and there is no problem in connecting to this one.

Anyone have any ideas?
kradcliffe
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 23:52
when l had the P990i, it would only connect to the web on certain routers with the power save off. lt's a real pain in the ass!
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-16 02:27
You did put the wlan- connection in the connection group which the program you're using tries to connect to the net with?

..just checking.
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 07:46

On 2007-08-16 02:27:35, Nipsen wrote:
You did put the wlan- connection in the connection group which the program you're using tries to connect to the net with?

..just checking.

yes, and I put it as the first priority as well just to make sure.

I think its down to an issue with the router. My brothers DS sometimes does the same thing(it'll connect but nothing happens in game).

To the guys who'se connections work: what router do you guys have?

mm...also on an unrelated topic, anyone know how to record conversations? the sound recorder doesn't do that.
RDZONE99
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 10:15
@ DagMX

i'm having the same problem too. find it so annoying because everything was fine but now i can't connect at all.

it's only when i'm near my router then everything is all good. i've tried everything, just haven't done the master reset.

well let me know how you get on. i'm going to keep trying!!!!

oh well, nothing is perfect!!! hehehe. back to the drawing board
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-16 17:45
Ok. I've been experimenting a bit, and it seems that:
1. WEP and WPA works fine.
2. The phone struggles with short preamble set on the access point (but that might've been because of noise on my location).
3. Wpa2 is right out. Noticeable drop in signal strength, connection fails for unknown reason (other than drop in signal strength).
4. The automatic DNS- assignment apparently doesn't work as you'd expect on any other computer, and might need to be set manually. (At least on the setups I've tried so far). I.e, the phone produces the "cannot find external..." message, even when you're connected. If anyone were to come up with an educated guess at why this is (or if it maybe isn't a problem when you're on an unsecured network), I'd be grateful.
5. Signal reception and connection recovery is terrific when the rest works.
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 18:46

On 2007-08-16 17:45:09, Nipsen wrote:
Ok. I've been experimenting a bit, and it seems that:
1. WEP and WPA works fine.
2. The phone struggles with short preamble set on the access point (but that might've been because of noise on my location).
3. Wpa2 is right out. Noticeable drop in signal strength, connection fails for unknown reason (other than drop in signal strength).
4. The automatic DNS- assignment apparently doesn't work as you'd expect on any other computer, and might need to be set manually. (At least on the setups I've tried so far). I.e, the phone produces the "cannot find external..." message, even when you're connected. If anyone were to come up with an educated guess at why this is (or if it maybe isn't a problem when you're on an unsecured network), I'd be grateful.
5. Signal reception and connection recovery is terrific when the rest works.

Agree totally with 5..signal reception is terrific..shame the wifi is so picky though...
I've tried setting tha acount settings manually to no avail...sigh, this is a major PITA.

Hopefully I can try it out at my friends connection to see if it works there.
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 19:14
I had a ton of bother setting mine up but it has performed flawlessly ever since and never drops a connection, unlike my old Nokia N80.
Retrospek
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 19:31

To the guys who'se connections work: what router do you guys have?

I'm using a WG602 access point and it works great. I've had no problems using this access point with the P1i and I've had no problems with it connecting using WPA2 encryption..
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-16 19:49
On 2007-08-16 18:46:56, DagMX wrote:

Agree totally with 5..signal reception is terrific..

The power- saving and so on works, too. Logs back on and no apparent problems.
shame the wifi is so picky though...

I've tried setting tha acount settings manually to no avail...sigh, this is a major PITA.

And, of course the error- messages read: "Error. Error.... There's still an error, you know. Have no idea what it is, though. Error."..

If you can log on to your access- point and write down some of the settings, that would be great.

edit: er.. there's something going on here. I can't have power- saving and strong encryption. But I can have power- saving and encryption if I assign the ip- adress of the phone on the router permanently. ..Am I on to something this time?

[ This Message was edited by: Nipsen on 2007-08-16 19:52 ]
DagMX
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-17 05:36
the Access point settings are pretty basic:
WEP
Europe broadcast mode
B+G hybrid mode
Act as only an access point

All the regular IP and gateway settings are normal and haven't been changed from default.

When my p1i is connected, it shows up in the active clients of my access point and the number of shared clients on the p1i are accurate as well.

Methinks the router and P1 are interfacing correctly, but the router isn't sending data as such which is weird. My brothers PSP can access the web fine. Laptops work fine and so does another PC. The Wii has no problems(but often has dropped signals durin long trasfers such as updates).

The only other device that is having similiar problems is my brothers DS. It will connect in the setup/test mode. No problems there, but the router will not send any data to or from it. I always thought it was just a problem with the DS, but I guess my router has problems with portable wireless devices?
I'm not sure how portability would make a difference though? Maybe due to their lower powered WLAN radios?

EDIT: This is weird. I set the preamble mode to short and power-saving on the phone to off and its working perfectly fine now...I'll test it out for a while and report back. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Tried disconecting and reconecting to the wifi. Same old problem

[ This Message was edited by: DagMX on 2007-08-17 04:59 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi