Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i Green Tint on Photos - FIXED by firmware????

Previous  123 4 ... 161718  Next
Author P1i Green Tint on Photos - FIXED by firmware????
T-mobile
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-08 23:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Mine has that green tint too, but I don't really care. It functions great overall, and at the bottom line it is not an SLR camera.
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-08 23:28
Agreed no SLR but that's a strange comparison!

a 14.99 compact camera could perform better than the p1 in all fairness. green tint is inexcusable however.
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-09 00:40

On 2007-09-08 23:28:00, peanut wrote:
Agreed no SLR but that's a strange comparison!

a 14.99 compact camera could perform better than the p1 in all fairness. green tint is inexcusable however.

The £14.99 compact wouldn't have anywhere near the fantastic macro performance of the P1i though. I think people ask too much of mobile cameras these days. Remember how bad the cameras were just a few years ago? The green tint is annoying but only really noticeable in a few situations. If you take critical photographs on your P1i to be blown-up and framed then you are using the wrong device - this is a smartphone with a very decent mobile phone camera attached, not a digital camera.
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 23:35
Sorry I have to disagree it's not decent by any definition. I have taken better pictures with my S700 and K800. It is not as good a quality as either of those.

I agree that people expect too much but they do expect a quality that matches the description. I don't recall any camera manufacturer stating that their digital cameras would hue ones picture green down one side like this does.
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-11 00:33

On 2007-09-10 23:35:45, peanut wrote:
Sorry I have to disagree it's not decent by any definition. I have taken better pictures with my S700 and K800. It is not as good a quality as either of those.

I agree that people expect too much but they do expect a quality that matches the description. I don't recall any camera manufacturer stating that their digital cameras would hue ones picture green down one side like this does.

Fair comment and I'm sure SE haven't deliberately released the P1i with this fault, I bet they had no idea. I've never seen the P1i advertised as an imaging device though, unlike the N73 and N95 etc.
YnG
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-11 01:26
Im just wondering, Is this problem just affecting a certain batch of p1's? Or is it everyone?
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-11 17:22
Here's an answer from SE I received this morning, btw (in swedish):
Problemet som ni beskriver angående kameran i telefonen är felrapporterat och kommer lösas i en kommande programvara.

(The problem you're describing re. the camera in the telephone has been reported [..already. i.e, it's in the system somewhere], and will be fixed in an upcoming software- update.)

So I guess it means they believe it's a software- thing as well (or want to focus on a software- solution first, before recalling the entire production - or admitting there's something wrong with the camera that can't be masked with a better post- processing filter, I guess).
Ibinco
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-11 17:58
Let the games begin... I also have this green tint on all my pics..
That makes 3 major bugs ive found already.
I got the magic stick!
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-11 19:58
@sunking101

I find your attitude really funny you buy a device that boasts a 3.2 mega pixel camera and then are happy to accept it doesn't work properly or has a green tint as being acceptable. SE must just love customers like you that accept faults as oh well that's how it is.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-11 18:58 ]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-11 20:59
the green tint isnt' even that bad.. i've been very satisifed with the camera on the p1i... but if possible lets see them fix this green tint in the corner...
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-11 22:14
Well.. I took this picture with my k750.
http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/viewphotos.php?pid=7054

See for yourself, and then compare with the p1. But, obviously the p1 camera is very, very bad. Not just the tint, it seems the pictures are grainy, partially out of focus - and something is done to the pictures that shifts the palette into the bit with all the runny grey smudge on. At least in relatively low- light conditions.. Also, no controls for shutter speed or lens opening. Which, I assume is what's so brilliantly taken care of by the software.

But... let's see if it's improved with the next firmware. I'm not going to expect anyone on SE to suddenly start implementing semi- custom controls for the camera- app, similar to what they have on their jp- phones, though.

(Unless everyone goes and writes in the wiki, perhaps )
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-12 00:33

On 2007-09-11 19:58:19, Dogmann wrote:
@sunking101

I find your attitude really funny you buy a device that boasts a 3.2 mega pixel camera and then are happy to accept it doesn't work properly or has a green tint as being acceptable. SE must just love customers like you that accept faults as oh well that's how it is.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-11 18:58 ]

The green tint is only visible in certain situations and let's face it, it took someone commenting in this forum to make us go and look for the green tint anyway! I like the camera, it's fine. My next phone in 12 months will presumably have an even better one, that's technology. As for my accepting faults, not on your life. I sent a P1i back because it creaked and I refused to have the N95 due to build quality 'issues'.
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-13 00:50
@Nispsen compare what?

you need to have the same picture to go an accurate comparison...

here are some randoms i did with the n93i and p1i both shoot in automode..

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2006227445630230958

i'll admit the p1i camera isn't the great but I don't really have any issues with it... of course one always wants better i guess

[QUOTE=shaolinmonk]Hey guys,

Still got that n93i lying around so I thought I'd do a picture quality comparison.

Everything shot in auto +/- macromode where needed.

This compares "stills" only too lazy to do video and we know the n93i vid recording is much better anyway.

Enjoy...

P1i pics

N93i pics
[/QUOTE]

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-09-12 23:51 ]
liaoip
Xperia Play Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-13 02:28
Hello DragonEye,

Very awesome of you to contribute such a comparison. I'm at work right now so I haven't taken a detailed look yet, but so far it seems I'm likin the P1i stills better. Overall the color just seems more "correct" (or it could be my computer screen). BTW, what's up with the parking lot photo? The other camera(N95?) seemed to crap out on the white balance and made it all purple pink. You sure you didn't change the white balance from automatic to something else by accident? Anyways, the colors for the P1i seem more natural to me. I'll have to take a look at the actual quality and resolution when I get back home. But great work and thanks for sharing.

Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-13 12:53

On 2007-09-13 00:50:42, DragonEye wrote:
@Nispsen compare what?

Anything, really. Take the vodka- bottle shot on your link, for instance. So, where's the focus? Is it somewhere between the Smirnoff- label and the Canadian Club whisky, maybe? But, it's still not worse further down in the picture. So I guess that means the picture has several points like this, and that there's some post- processing going on supposed to smooth things out. It doesn't appear to work well. And the result seems to be several fields of somewhat grainy picture almost in focus in several places. And the irritating thing is that you'll get this with almost flat surfaces too. Here is a picture in black and white where you can see it clearly. So where's the focus? It's on the back of the notepad in the top right of the picture. Here's another picture of the same, but this time with focus apparently on the point nearest the camera, on the tip of the plastic holder on the keyboard.

Then it's the colours. If you open the picture of the larva I took with the k750, you'll be able to see very clearly that the colours don't shift particularly much from the left to the right in the picture. Even though it's taken in overcast conditions with more light coming in from one of the sides. In other words, the amount of light on parts of the picture doesn't shift the colour- palette on the other parts of the picture out of range. And that way I won't get grainy brownish smudge, or a bright glare, on most of the picture as a rule.

So, can this be fixed? It definitively can be improved. But I don't think it's very likely that the software in the form that it's in, with the autofunctions and so on, can be used to take very good pictures. Or even passable ones. Because the lack of any aiming spots for the autozoom, as well as the strange post- processing, doesn't make that possible, it seems to me, anyway.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 161718  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic