Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Lousy quality P1 keys

123  Next
Author Lousy quality P1 keys
gseh88
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-12 21:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I love most things about the P1 but have found an annoying weakness. I was trying my old M600 leather cases to see if they will fit the P1 and whilst trying to push on the PDAir flip case, I found it to be quite a tight fit. So I tried pulling it off but it was catching some of the keys on the keyboard. I pushed harder and got it out without too much trouble but then found that the edges of 2 of the keys were slightly sharper edged. On closer inspection I found the keys are actually covered with stickers and pulling the case off had also pulled off the edges of the stickers from the key itself. This is obviously extremely annoying as the backlight now shines through these gaps! I wasn't even pulling very hard so the quality of the stickers is pretty feeble so all you P1 owners out there, BE WARNED!!
Tail
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-12 22:10
This i have hard to belive. You must have done something wrong. Its a very solid build quality of the P1i
antichrist
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-12 23:59
can you post a picture of your p1?
gandalf027
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-13 00:20
Sorry to say that something is wrong with your P1.
I did the same with a leather case and nothing happened to the keys .. no stickers on mine.
mmac78uk
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-13 00:24
Same here, i'm in the UK too and got mine from Play.com... mine is perfect, no probs here! no stickers either.
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-13 00:57
I've got this today too and a whole column of squeeky and loose keys down the centre. Very annoyed. And the build quality is shocking I've never had a SE phone creak so much and that's saying something as they all tend to!
p910iguy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-08-13 01:43
iv'e been playing with my mates P1 and no creaky-ness (to an extent) and the build quality of buttons is fine no "stickers" no looseness perfect (just like my p990) is it possible that some people got some 3rd-world import jobbys? where the build quality might not be as good in other countries?
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-13 14:46
i think the use of word stickers would be incorrect. more so that the keys are clearly made of two layers (put a torch to them and you see the top layer). it would appear that this layer is weaker in some places than others. a firm press puts it back down again but for how long who knows.
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-13 15:46
My battery cover creaks, it started doing it today on the 3rd day of ownership. Why oh why can't any manufacturer have perfect build quality?
gseh88
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 00:13
Sorry for disappearing guys but I'm on holiday and don't get to the internet as often as I should.

There is absolutely no question that the keys are covered with stickers. This is how the light shines through to show the letters/numbers and because two of my keys are damaged, the backlight now shines through at those points. Contrary to my and obviously many of your expectations, the keys are NOT solid plastic with the letters/numbers moulded in clear plastic all the way through the key as in computer keyboards. My scraped off bits of stickers are on the top left corners of the Q/W and A/S keys. When I run my finger nails along the outer edges of many of the keys I can definitely feel a very slight edge where the sticker meets the key. Why not have a feel of yours (!!!) and let me know what you find?
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 00:28

On 2007-08-16 00:13:28, gseh88 wrote:
Sorry for disappearing guys but I'm on holiday and don't get to the internet as often as I should.

There is absolutely no question that the keys are covered with stickers. This is how the light shines through to show the letters/numbers and because two of my keys are damaged, the backlight now shines through at those points. Contrary to my and obviously many of your expectations, the keys are NOT solid plastic with the letters/numbers moulded in clear plastic all the way through the key as in computer keyboards. My scraped off bits of stickers are on the top left corners of the Q/W and A/S keys. When I run my finger nails along the outer edges of many of the keys I can definitely feel a very slight edge where the sticker meets the key. Why not have a feel of yours (!!!) and let me know what you find?

Oh yes! I can feel an edge and looking under a bright light I can see it too. Are all SE phones like this? I can't see these stickers staying on for too long.
dagrim1
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 00:57
well, inspected my keys briefly but can't say I feel or see any sticker stuff...
sunking101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 01:05
They are very thick, not stickers in the sense you're probably looking for. they don't go right to the very edge of the keys though so under a bright light you can see them.
Marc_SE
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-16 01:15
Are you sure the keys aren't 'attached/on' a thin rubber membrane which is held in place by the front fascia? It's possible that you've ripped the key away from the membrane whilst removing the case from your handset, possibly giving you the impression that the keys are covered by stickers?

You got it into a case (that it wasn't designed to be used with) and therefore put it in a situation that it obviously isn't designed to be in - hardly makes the quality 'lousy', does it?
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 01:22
hmmmm pretty good build on my phone thus far... solid, no creaking battery cover at all... the front case is solid... the only creaking is one of the left keys... but it's not consistent..
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi