Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > On the Couch with Cycovision

Previous  123 ... 161718 ... 222324  Next
Author On the Couch with Cycovision
Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 11:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello and welcome to 'On the Couch with Cycovision'!

Members come and members go, it's as much a part of forum life as typos, smilies and baiting newbies but very occasionally you come across a member who seems to be in it for the long run.

Joining me on the couch today is one such member so just what is it that keeps him coming back to Esato and what does he think has changed the most in the six years that he's been an active member? Lets find out as I welcome to the couch, ofiaich!

I'd like to start as always if I may with the question: How did you find the Esato Website?

I had a friend called Chris who was a real genius with computers, mobile phones and all kinds of technology. His predictions about what would develop and when, were uncannily accurate! He introduced me to Windows 3.0 but also OS/2! OS/2 was excellent but was never marketed well. I remember getting a T68i and Chris said if I needed help, then check out a new site called Esato.

My first post was on Posted: 2001-11-12 19:22 and was about how to download Color images for T68 at Esato.com

first post

And that was back in November 2001! What was the Esato forum like back then? Was it much slower in terms of the frequency of new posts and topics than it is today or has it always been a 'buzzing' forum?

I think ESATO was really buzzing, but of course, the topics were not as technical as now, but technical enough for that time!

What were the main topics of discussion? Which threads were you most active in?

There were many posts about how to setup email, Bluetooth, Infra-red and how to use WAP, and of course, the should I charge my battery for 24 hours before I use my phone kind of post so yes, buzzing and appropriate for that time

Which do you think have been the most notable changes on Esato over the past six years? Do you think that Esato has

become better or worse?

I think it has become better and often the support and discussions are very helpful, but recently, in my opinion, the level of manners is poor. I think if ESATO wants to remain as perhaps the best forum, then people need to think twice before posting replies that are not so well mannered.

For example, we were all newbies and we all make the mistake about not using the but we can be told this gently.

I do feel, recently, some of the threads here at ESATO are not good for ESATO's image.

I also feel that some threads are very informative, excellent and so funny

How easy was it for you to become part of the community here?

Yes, easy even though some of my posts might have been unusual. For example, how to get full Japanese support on a non-japanese mobile ! I bored everyone with that

Tell us a little about yourself! I believe you used to be a lecturer, is that right? What do you do now?

Yes, I was a lecturer in nursing but I had to retired early because I damaged my neck severely in a very bizarre accident. Not my fault

Basically, because the role of lecturer involved more and more desk work, my neck became worse, sitting and static work was a pain in the neck, , but to move about was OK ! So 'Grasshopper, time for you to leave !'

I had studied Kung Fu since I was 7 years old, so, to get fit again, I immersed myself in this to get my mobility and fitness back.

I am not the oldest here, see The Bathroom Thread and you can find out who is!

What's the story behind the photo you posted on Esato of yourself in a Japanese bath tub?

For that particular picture, I just thought I would add it as a bad joke for The Bathroom Thread because it is not my bath,

but I so wish I had a bath like that !!

Why did you fall in love with Japan?

Long story, so I will make it short. Don't want anyone to fall but maybe half of you are already !!

When I was 7 years old, I was bullied at school. Mum loved Chinese food, and the older ESATO members will probably remember Vesta Chow Mein with added chemicals Near to my home there was a Chinese restaurant, so my mum sent me there with a few pounds and I had to ask the cook's recommendation and then bring the lovely chemical free food home ! He often saw that I had black eyes or a bloody nose or Jack Duckworth sellotaped glasses.

So he asked my mum if he could teach me Kung Fu, but in the same vein as Mr. Miyagi, ( no, not ESATO's Mr. Miyagi ) he said not to start a fight.

yet? Bear with me.... just another 46 years to go Well, I wonder why his face and his son and daughters face were just slight different so, I at the age of 8 years, read about China, but not so many books, then read about Hong Kong, not so many books, and Malaysia, Korea, Vietnam but I settled on Japan because I could find a lot more books.

Later, I practiced different martial arts including Japanese Martial Arts.

About 10 years ago, I decided to go to Japan, so bought a ticket, knew only a few words of the Japanese language but got on a airplane and enjoyed exploring in Japan!

My next trip will be my eleventh trip! I can speak enough Japanese now to survive, and I am also learning Chinese

Didn't make it short did I ?

Who are your favorite Esato members and why?

I don't think I have favourites but masseur helped me a lot with WM6 issues that helped me to decide on my current phone.

You, Cycovision, have also given great advice about WIndoze !

Many people here have given excellent advice and also have responded quickly to my questions!!

What has been your best Esato moment so far?

I am not sure..... I remember good advice, interesting threads and also silly things.

I remember the thread about the 2,000,000th post and I got 1,999,999 !!

One of the silly things was when batsie posted that he had a K300 lolly and I posted a silly question there.......

And what has been your worst Esato moment?

Hmm,,,, I suppose, I have been more than a tad disappointed about some of the threads and also some that 'out of order' and was also annoyed when I bought a memory card for 802:se: but the card was damaged and wrapped only in a thin piece of paper ! That made me think about trading !

What do you think the future holds for Esato?

I think the future is very good !! I think the moderators do a great job, and I admire them! I don't fancy doing what they do !

If you could be Laffen for a day, what would you do?

I would :-

(1) delete all of the members who registered before me who have never posted for a 2 years or more

This would make me Number 2 and I would then launch my fleet of TyTn II mobiles and take over the development of mobiles around the world ! Muuuuhahahahahahahaaa!!!

(2) I would send Electrically charged MMS to anyone who opposed me :evil::evil: These MMS to be activated when the mobile is in the trouser pocket

(3) I would also lock the first posting in the MARKET FORUMS so that what was 'for sale' or 'wanted' etc could not be deleted.... because these sales are part of ESATO's history...

Ah! Forget about my (1) because these members are all part of ESATO's history too! I was only joking

(4) Fix the broken spring in the sofa because it nearly perforated my Sim card

Which phone do you use at the moment?

I use a TyTn II so I jumped ship! masseur can take part of the blame! His advice sold it for me I will get the W960i as a back-up in January, but may sell it...

Loving my TyTn II because I have full Japanese support, even with Microsoft Exchange Server emails/Appointments etc.

A piccie of my friend Totoro on the TyTn II screen, and also an example of the Japanese characters displayed !

Are there any phones or gadgets that you are looking forward to?

I like the screen's usuability on the iPhone and can get some applications on the TyTn II working similarly to this, but not as well. When I am next in Japan I will have a good look at what's there !

On a side note, I do get amused when people want Japanese phones here, that are for the Japanese domestic market !

Finally, is there anything you would like to say to the Esato community?

Yes, keep ESATO the best !!

I said above "recently, in my opinion, the level of manners is poor." I DO think if ESATO wants to remain as perhaps the best forum, then people need to think twice before posting replies that are not so well mannered. Quite easy really.... 'post in such a way, as you would like someone to post to you !'

Greetings to all ESATO members !

Ofiaich

Ladies and gentleman, lets have a big round of applause for ofiaich!

Well, Christmas is coming and soon we'll be putting up the decorations at Esato HQ ready for a feast of seasonal 'On the Couch specials' so until then, goodbye and take care!

[ This Message was edited by: Cycovision on 2007-12-07 11:10 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 12:04
That was a greeeaat interview and some wise words for us all if we want Esato to stay great.

A K300i lolly indeed
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 12:24
Oooh, new interviews to read! Wheres Scotty, finally crashed his Spitfire into the Berlin Wall? I miss the old bugger. Went drinking with him once, you know. It was all Talisker and Vermouth, whilst I was tucking into a can of special brew. Honestly, the mans so posh he sweats Bollinger!
Hello, Scroto!

U.G.L.Y. You ain't got no alibi, you ugly!
leeboy13
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 12:28
meths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my word! how you been? maybe we could have a update on the couch?
Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 12:29
He's the only I bloke I know who grows truffles under his fingernails. He's still around but he felt that his work with the couch was complete (with the exception of interviewing a certain moderator) and so he's handed the reigns over to me for a while.
procterdc
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 12:33
Likin the interview. Any hints on who the next victim is lol?
It ain't about how hard you hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward - Rocky Balboa
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 12:49

Are there any members who no longer visit Esato who you miss?

There certainly are! I sorely miss methylated_spirit and DJCreamz since I used to have a good giggle with in in the non-mobile forums.

Ahh it's good to be loved! Where is Ryan Creamer though? Remeber the days of Spurious Nonesense? Jolly times.
Hello, Scroto!

Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 12:51
I certainly do remember SN! Creamer doesn't come here anymore but I tracked him down on facebook.
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 12:51
There's a name from the past! Welcome back Meths!

Is it you being interviewed I wonder?
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 12:55
I have not yet been approached, Indeed I fear I repel rather than entice
Hello, Scroto!

deepsme
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 13:25
Nice person ofiaich..got to know a lot more about him after reading that Q&A...great work Cyco!
here, have a puff
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 13:45
@ofiaich: i liked your interview. was a nice one indeed(indeed it was long so i , just kidding )
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 13:47
Good interview indeed, keep up the good work
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-07 13:49
That was gratifying!
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
Ridahz
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-07 15:33
We know Batesie Sucked that Lolly bonedry lmao....
Ridahz Feedback +29 -0
Titanium Trader
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 161718 ... 222324  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic