Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i bugs

Previous  123 ... 3334 353637  Next
Author P1i bugs
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 14:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
For starters, I get random errors when I start up Calendar. Sometimes 'Access denied'. Sometimes 'Not enough memory', and at other times 'KERN EXEC error". Quite whimsical....and quite unacceptable in a production phone!

As a software engineer, I can estimate how long the firmware must have been tested. My guess is 1 week....

I paid a lot of money here in India for this phone, and my entire daily schedule depends on some simple applications like Calendar and Contacts. Both have bugs, and I wish I could start listing them here. I will if I'm forced to. Meanwhile, I'm off to the store to see if I can turn in this amateurish piece of unprofessionalism for an O2...

Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-20 14:15
So you have a branded o2 phone..? Version on firmware? Do you use sync? If so, what do you sync with?
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 14:46
Your P1 is not behaving normally.
If it's O2 branded, unbrand the phone and update for the last firmware. You are obviously using and old buggy version of it.
If you need help, just ask in this forum.
spartacus79
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 14:59

On 2007-11-20 00:19:58, Nipsen wrote:
..try scraping a bit on the sim- card. Or take it out and insert it again a couple of times. Could be it's bad contact?

The sim is brand new, and tried with over 4 sims.
any other ideas for the bug which make the P1i unable to receive/make calls ?
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 15:17
Actually, I do not have a branded O2 phone. I was referring to the possibility of exchanging this phone for the O2 phones now available in the market.

I repeat: no production phone should show such errors for any significant number of customers. On this count alone, the p1i falls flat, judging by the number of people that have reported such errors.

I upgraded to WG1 and the latest firmware using XS+ and SEUS just this morning, so old firmware can be ruled out.
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 15:45
I have never experienced a high level of faults with my p1. I use the calendar, notes, contacts etc a fair amount, I have no other PIM software or PDA so this is my primary device.

The first firmware I had (d23) was a little buggy with WLan, and that was all, I suspect that with latest firmware (f41) IF you are experiencing this level of problems then you have a faulty device.

As to the quality of the built in PIM apps, I find them to be a good increment from the built-in ones I had with my p910. I think these apps are basically upgraded ones from the p910 i don't think they completely re-wrote them in the move from uiq2 to uiq3, I have never experienced the calendar app crashing for example.

As Nipsen suggests, if you note how you produce these crashes Myself and others in this forum will attempt to reproduce them - at least we can get them listed as actual bugs this way. If we can't reproduce them then you will at least know that you have a faulty device.
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 15:50
Could it be the PC Sync that is causing the problems? I have a fairly large Outlook database (1500 contacts, 1500 calendar entries) that I import into the phone, and perhaps this synchronization is causing the problem.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-20 15:52

On 2007-11-20 14:59:07, spartacus79 wrote:
The sim is brand new, and tried with over 4 sims.
any other ideas for the bug which make the P1i unable to receive/make calls ?

Well.. not very likely - but some operators have a list for logons. And if you connect your phone too often, or with different information, you could get blacklisted for a couple of hours (and more hours after that if you still try to connect, with another phone, maybe, and so on).

..But most likely you're trying to connect with a gprs point that isn't supported. And get bounced from the nearest "central". At least it happens sometimes.

So (possibly).. switch the internet- settings to "cs only" (to stop the gprs thing from automatically connecting).. turn off the phone. Pick out the battery. Have a cup of coffee. And then plug it in again, and try retrieving new settings for the phone from your provider.

If it's something with the phone, it could be everything from a faulty radio to problems with priority on the radio- bands for specific providers. Rare, but it happens.

Anil Gidwani:
I repeat: no production phone should show such errors for any significant number of customers. On this count alone, the p1i falls flat, judging by the number of people that have reported such errors.

..one?
I upgraded to WG1 and the latest firmware using XS+ and SEUS just this morning, so old firmware can be ruled out.

Hm. You didn't have some program that saved some calendar- entries installed before that? Or synced with calendar- entries you had transferred from a previous firmware? (just throwing out things here). Btw, not making apologies for the errors here - I just want to have the details, so we can post something on the wiki (and something might be done about it).

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 16:21
Err... not just one, but several customers have reported these crashes, KERN EXEC problems and 'not enough memory' issues. Simply unacceptable in a production version of a product. What's even more scary that these problems occur randomly, with some units reporting no problems and others reporting several. Even the production process seems flawed!

Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-21 01:39
..well, not on the calendar- app. On any number of third- party apps, error codes from panic calls happen sometimes, yes. To avoid memory leaks and illegal memory access or program execution from badly written code, true, but still.. very bad, I agree.

G00gler
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-21 04:10
@Anil

Did you restore a backup or did you just sync addresses from outlook? I know a lot of people have problems after they restore a backup between different FW versions.

I certainly have not had any of the problems you are reporting. I have in fact never had a crash and I have had my phone for probably 3 months now. I must admit I don't use my calender so much but when I have there has not been any problems.
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-21 04:47
I did a sync, not a restore, since my earlier phone was a N7710.

Anyway, I need a solution pronto, so I've opened a new thread on this problem.. Thanks, @googler.
OffLineR
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2007-11-25 11:32
That idiot P1i Alarm frustrated me again by deciding today as a workday eventhough I haven't selected as.

I can't believe that woken me up that early. I hate that alarm.

I love
I love my P1i.
But sometimes I can't believe the bugs they manage to come up with. They weren't used to be like that. Now I am sure that developers definetely don't use products as their primary phone.

should find a solution for that.
Forever !!!
OffLineR
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2007-11-26 06:43
And that same idiot alarm decided not to go off today. I have no idea what should I do but I am really disappointed now. How can I trust this alarm now.

It can let me down in anyday, anytime.
Forever !!!
gseh88
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-26 16:49
Are you sure you ticked off all the correct options when you set the alarm? I think the alarm tries to be too clever and ends up confusing most people. For example, if you set it to go off "Once", you must also stipulate the day otherwise it is likely to have the wrong day and surprise, surprise, the alarm does not go off. Only when you set it to go off "Daily" do you stand a good chance of it going off as planned. Of course you then have to remember to switch off the alarm so it doesn't go off the next day.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 3334 353637  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic