Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > New SE phones lack of 16M colour screen

Author New SE phones lack of 16M colour screen
BBS
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-06-16 18:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I am astonished to see SE P990i has 16384K colors as reported by SM Pro.

Please check: Swiss Mgr Pro/System/Colors which will show the following details:

Display
Dimension: 240 x 320 pixels
Colors: 16384K
Address: 0x65660000
Tehy03
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-16 18:58
I don't thing the difference is so big that I wouldn't buy the phone because it has "only" 262K screen...
plankgatan
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2007-06-16 19:07
me and my friend compared our screens (N95 and k810. 5 minutes ago). we downloaded 2 exactley same wallpaper and looked. you couldnt see any difference about color, sharpness, and so on. (and if you dont believe me, just compare yourself with some (SE/Nokia) friend and you will see).

more k850i-publicity....he he

[ This Message was edited by: plankgatan on 2007-06-16 18:09 ]
rambo47
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-06-16 19:18
I think pixel density is way more important than 256k vs. 16M colors. Especially on a small cell phone screen. But folks want to get all caught up in statistics. It's like saying my Ferrari can go 190 MPH but your Porsche tops out at only 180 MPH. Gets kinda silly. Having said that, I believe SE's use of the 256k color screens is a question of money. And the surplus of the type of screens they already have bought. I don't believe for a second that it contributes to battery drain. As mentioned previously, it's way more a matter of backlighting. And the capacity of the battery, which is often determined by the form factor of the phone. My Nokia N95 had a paltry 900 mAh battery, and for a mobile with all that stuff packed into it like WiFi and GPS that's just stupid. I just picked up a shiney new Nokia E61i and that bad boy has a 1500 mAh battery. That's more like it! It's a longer battery but just as thin as the N95's so a re-design of the case is definitely in order.
Blackberry Bold
Blackberry 8220
Blackberry 7105t
bilibulu13
K800 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-06-17 04:59
SE does have 16M phones just not GSM. Look at w51s or SO903iTV it is suppose to have a screen just as good as a BRAVIA LCD TV. Nokia is miles behind. Only if they bring it to their GSM phones
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2007-06-17 06:18
Guys lets be honest here...
All phones are way overpriced, the K850 will be waaay overpriced at launch, it's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of strategy and profit.
When u pay €630 for a handset the few cents the 16m screen cost is not the issue. Don't kid your selves, _is_ milking it ;]
Having said that, the recent displays _are_ crisp and clear.

To you that say that the human eye can't see the 16m colors: True and False.
The average human eye can see between 3-10 million shades of colors at the same time, this don't mean that you can only see 3-10 million shades at total. (I'm no eye doctor ok)
Also have in mind that you don't see the same shades as other people, so more shades (colors) means better viewing.
Also genes gives some people the ability to see far more than 16 million shades. This is the reason why some people see the difference in the Ferrari RED while most think this color has always been the same on all red Ferraris.

My point is, number of colors _does_ matter, no need to kid ourselves it don't. This don't nessesary mean that a 16m display is better than a 262k display for every purpose. Also the downside of 16m displays so far is they tend to fade in sunlight just a tad bit more than 262k displays.
thecell
K700
PM
Posted: 2007-06-17 07:30
I'm sure some people hard to notice the difference between 16m v 256k, some cant surely say how depth the colour of the phone showed to him if they didnt read the spec before.

I'm agree with above, colour depth does not take it all. LCD quality, LCD type, resolution, backlight and the LCD width made it too.

Remember k700 vs 6600, same colour but k700 more nice looking, even compare to xphone2 (same 176x220)

A little difference in LCD colour does not change my decision to buy a phone id the feature far away more superior.
Like TFT v TFD if one should i choose, i prefer TFD because it doesnt show much difference in display but had much more performance in battery.
sesukaku
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-18 15:26
plankgatan.. hemm.. not quite sure about what you say, coz i did compare my K800 with 6300, and the difference is just too much. 6300 is way brighter and more colourful. I am not sure about N95 though, i don't see much of 16m colours phone and i only get my chance once to see that brilliance of the 16m colour display.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-06-19 03:59
our friend at se-net.net compared the K850 screen with N95 and this is what they have to say:-

From several angles the screen looks decent, however it does not have the brightness of the N95 display due to the 16M colors of the Nokia family member.

http://forums.se-nse.net/index.php?showtopic=11607

And the K850 doesnt seems to be smaller in size than N95. Even the thickness deosnt seem to be much different from the N95. K850 looks longer.
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-19 09:02
its clearly mentioned in that review that N95 has a brighter display that K850, its settled now.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-19 10:04
@plankgatan

Sorry but what resolution was the wallpaper and was it meant for the N95 or the K810? Try putting a N95 wallpaper on the K810 and see what happens then as if was meant for a K810 it is very unlikely to have as much detail so of course will not show the advantage the screen has. But if it really makes you happy feel free to believe what ever you wish don't let a little thing like facts get in the way.

Marc

http://dogmann.vox.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-06-19 09:05 ]
Danny_BFC
K618 white
PM
Posted: 2007-06-19 11:24
I'm sure i read somewhere that the Human eye cant actually tell the difference between 64k Colours and 256k Colours. I assume this is the same for 16.9Million Colours ?
Im not fussed about phones/gadgets no more. If im online im in the Non-Mobile discussion
dayz
K700
PM
Posted: 2007-06-19 12:02

On 2007-06-15 07:08:47, Prom1 wrote:

On 2007-06-15 06:31:14, JuanPablo wrote:
Two reasons:

1. 16M colors make the battery life shorter.

2. The human eye cannot see the difference between 256k and 16M.

2> Utter CRAP! Why are there specific COLOR WHEELS and calibration applications for LCD's & CRTs?!! Why do graphic design houses/firms & in-house graphic teams for top mags like Vogue/GQ have their publishing graphics teams USING calibration hardware/software combo's?!!! WHy do HD movie producers have their teams use such combo's on their FinalCutPro studio screens!?! Lastly why does LaCie make such STANDARD for visual quality screens for CRT's/LCD's for MANY MANY years?!

There is a HUGE spectrum that a healthy human eye can see. Alongside the same colors with minimal range its nearly impossible for the human eye to detect. However give a broad range of colours and its like night & day for the human eye to detect.

Proof? Ferrari doesn't always use the same RED paint in all their models, older berlinetta front engine classics always have a deeper shade of red than moderns like the 360 Modena's. Red also is the most EXPENSIVE paint to have on a car and boosts your insurance JUST because of the color on same car model! You wanna proove me wrong? Get some 9 year old kid with a buck-knife/key to scratch your expensive red-paint Honda TL or RX-8 , 350z. You'll see.

What effects perception of 16mil colors vs 256K is the QUALITY of the LCD! Samsung produces more than anyone else does, and SE just didn't want to give a major competitor so much money.

yes yes yes.. you made your point

here's my point

having a 240x320 lcd

it is useless to have higher color because the length and width of lcd LIMITS the it!

example

get an 15' monitor and put NVIDIA GeForce 8800... the resolution and the color quality will be limited because YOU NEED TO BALANCE IT!

"Why do graphic design houses/firms & in-house graphic teams for top mags like Vogue/GQ have their publishing graphics teams USING calibration hardware/software combo's?!!! WHy do HD movie producers have their teams use such combo's on their FinalCutPro studio screens!?!"

simple.. they have the money and they can buy LARGE HD LCD and GOOD HARDWARE and when they print it out their designs, its the PRINTER! (take note.. PRINTER) and again.. it depends how large can the printer produce the dpi GETS?

Proof? Ferrari doesn't always use the same RED paint in all their models, older berlinetta front engine classics always have a deeper shade of red than moderns like the 360 Modena's. Red also is the most EXPENSIVE paint to have on a car and boosts your insurance JUST because of the color on same car model! You wanna proove me wrong? Get some 9 year old kid with a buck-knife/key to scratch your expensive red-paint Honda TL or RX-8 , 350z. You'll see.

get a honda and ask a kid to scratch it? LOL! it is the lamest idea i have ever read! why dont you ask your kid and scratch your car

of course.. you will notice the difference because the OBJECT IS LARGE for everyone to NOTICE IT! you get an small object and you will not notice the difference because it is SMALL gets?

a 320x240 dont need 16m colors and because it is limited... get a nokia and sonyericsson with the same photo and to me, 265k or something is way more better than 16m because it is more realistic.. more crispier unlike the 16m colors, i dont know what word to describe. its just that i dont think the 16m will win 265k on 320x240 lcd.

i dont mean to offend anyone here.. its just my point of view here

plankgatan
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2007-06-19 12:20
i cant understand, that some of you guys complains about the freaking screen !!!!!

are you guys never satisfied ?

im so dame lucky of my k810 screen, its looks awesome. i know for sure that my next phone (k850i) also gone be really "Crispy".

and like i said, we compared a 256k and a 16M. you couldnt see any big difference !

[ This Message was edited by: plankgatan on 2007-06-19 11:23 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-19 12:51
@plankgatan

I asked you a very simple question as to a statement you have made as fact if you can't answer a simple question how can i know or understand how you reach this conclusion it really wasn't a difficult question yet you appear unable to answer it why?

To be honest i really can't bother arguing with you as i said you believe what ever you want as obviously black will always be white to you. My mistake for wasting my time and challenging a statement i find hard to believe i just won't bother again.

Marc

http://dogmann.vox.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-06-19 11:51 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic