Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Getting my own N95 unbarred.advise please

Author Getting my own N95 unbarred.advise please
tangey
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-24 17:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
HELP !

Short version of story is:-
I bought handset only N95 from local O2 shop last week. I am a CPW customer but not eligble for upgrade. I didn't buy it in the CPW shop as I thought when it came time for upgrade in a few months it might go against me that I'd bought a phone.

Two nights ago, the phone was stolen from the counter of the bar I was sitting in. I phone CPW and got my Sim blocked, which automatically put a bar on the phone. On requesting to view the security cameras in the Bar, the phone was suddenly "handed in" by a mystery member of the public (make of that what you will). Switching it on, the date and time was reset, clearly someone had tried another sim card in it.

Ok, so now I've got my phone. I phoned CPW and told them, hey can I get a replacement SIM, and btw unblock my phone "sorry sir, we can give you a new sim, but we can only unbar phones that were sold by ourselves". I go to the O2 shop, phone in hand plus the receipt which shows the IMEI number of said phone that I'd bought only a week ago. "sorry sir, you don't have a contract with us, we can't do anything, if CPW barred it, they should be able to un-bar it.

I can understand CPW not being able to unbar it, they didn't take any IMEI details from me at the time, they just set the signal to tell the sim card to bar whatever phone it was in, so they have no knowledge if the phone I'm asking to unbar is mine. But surely O2, having indisputable proof that I am the owner of the phone, (receipt with IMEI number, my cc was used to pay) can be in a position to assist ?

Can anyone give me some advice ?

[ This Message was edited by: tangey on 2007-05-24 17:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tangey on 2007-05-24 17:01 ]
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-24 18:02
Very tricky one that! Wonder if anyone knows, perhaps someone who works at a phone shop.
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
Merlyn101
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-05-24 19:30
O2 should be able to do it! Write a letter to customer services at head office and explain the situation. Might take a little while, but you should be able to get it done this way.. Hope that helps!
I haven't seen any proof of tomorrow all day!
Sainty
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-24 19:31
O2 should be able to get the IMEI unbarred by simply getting in contact with there fraud/security department. For all they know you didn't have anything to do with it getting barred and they really should help you out. I would go back in and try again. If that fails, ask to speak to the manager of the store. Hope this helps!

Nokia 402 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 3510i -> Nokia 6100 -> Sony Ericsson V800i -> Samsung D500 -> Sony Ericsson K750i -> Sony Ericsson W900i -> Sony Ericsson K800i -> Sony Ericsson P990i

[ This Message was edited by: Sainty on 2007-05-24 18:32 ]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-05-24 19:38
defo O2's problem to sort out....
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-05-24 20:02
I've had 2 phones barred and managed to get them unbarred and in both cases it was the retailer (2 different ones) that I had to go through to get the phones unbarred as the network (vodafone and o2) were not interested and just kept telling me to go back to where I bought the phone and prove ownership
tangey
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-06-02 21:05
I went to the O2 shop and they categorically stated they could not and would not unblock a phone that O2 had not blocked directly. So I visited my local carphonewarehouse shop. The young guy there couldn't have been more helpful, and didn't understand why carphonewarehouse on the phone had told me they couldn't do it.

He phoned up, and after a 5 min wait, told me it was done, and I had to wait 72 hrs. 72hrs, and about 20 simswaps later, the phone was still giving me "sim card registration failed". Went back to the shop, they phone again, "yeap no problem...just wait 72hrs". Well you guessed it, after 3 days still the phone wasn't unblocked.

I tried phoning directly myself, explained the situation to the girl on the phone who told me "yeap, I can see you got it blocked, and I can also see it was unblocked, whats the sim card number". I reminded her the simcard was working fine, it was the phone that was blocked. "ah, ok, I see it was unblocked, let me just see if it was blacklisted" (hold on, isn't a handset being blocked, and being blacklisted the same thing ?) After a 5 min hold she came back with, "yes just spoke to an 02 manager who has authorised the handset to be unblocked, you might have to wait up to 72hrs."

ME: Ummm...you didn't ask me the IMEI number, how did you un-blacklist it ?

HER: Its ok, I got the information from your account

ME: but the phone that is blacklisted isn't the phone you sold me a year ago, I'm using a new phone I bought last week (or at least trying to use it).

HERE: Oh.....well I don't want to keep you on hold any longer, give me the IMEI number and I'll phone the OS manager back.

You could imagine, I assumed that as soon as I hung up, she'd completely ignore doing the follow-up call. But blow me down, about 24hrs later, didn't I get a lovely juicy signal on me N95. So hats off to her, she did phone back the 02 mamanger afterwards.

So the moral of the story is, keep perserving !
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-06-03 20:45

On 2007-06-02 21:05:11, tangey wrote:
So the moral of the story is, keep perserving !

Is the real moral not to pay more attention to where you leave your phone and to make sure you always know where it is?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-06-03 20:59
I expect there are many morals and truths. The truth here is that we are human and some are honest and some thieves.

The moral here though is that when the human element is done, then perseverance with the commercial machinary is a must in order to achieve the desired result
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi