Previous  1234  Next
Author Esato Treasurers
maggflodd
T630
PM
Posted: 2007-05-18 11:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-05-18 11:09:27, batesie wrote:
this thread is more about a middle man for transactions...

but your idea is good, but i wouldnt think theres many people willing to lend a complete stranger a working phone for an unknown amount of time...

yeah, probably not, but still... I know cases who'd appreciate even just an old 1600 or similar... and members who are willing to "donate" so to speak could get some sort of "credit"...trader-points...

I know, it's not what the thread is about, just brought it up because of the similar administrative problems and trust issues! [addsig]
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-18 11:18
well i guess we should wait for some more users too feedback ideas on this, and it would be good to get laffen to state the rules once decided... [addsig]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-05-18 11:24
Esato does not take any responsibility for any trades done here. It merely facilitates trading by providing market forums for members to advertise in.

As trading is wholly a member based activity its totally up to us, the members, to make the rules as we see fit
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-18 11:26

On 2007-05-18 11:24:44, masseur wrote:
Esato does not take any responsibility for any trades done here. It merely facilitates trading by providing market forums for members to advertise in.

As trading is wholly a member based activity its totally up to us, the members, to make the rules as we see fit

fair dinkum [addsig]
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-18 11:33
id be willing to help from here in Australia, though shipping costs could be costly

seriously though, something needs to be organised..... i know masseur will of course be will suited, he has helped me on more than 1 occasion
leeboy13
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-05-18 11:52
this really is a great idea and having afew in different locations would certainly help cut costs and cut delays

this is a real positive move in the right direction IMHO for esato
living the dream!
scottt
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-05-18 14:33
I can help out too

I think i have over 10 feedbacks not sure
I my 32GB iPhone 3GS

MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-18 14:42
Basically sound idea, But it does require strong co-ordination and a large degree of responsibility on the part of "asset-holders".
Operating on a regional basis is very sensible, Time was when posting of any item was purely based on relative feedback, those with little or no feedback were obliged to post first.
Trust is in short supply these days, and it is sad but perhaps inevitable that such a scheme as is proposed may have to be implemented.
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-18 18:59
This is something I had thought about doing a long time ago and even proposed it as a paid "premium" feature for se-nse just over a year ago HERE

In reality there are many problems with a middle man taking care of the goods. The biggest of which is the opportunity it gives for someone to send a faulty phone to the middle man and then claim they damaged it. Of course you could test every device but I'd prefer to leave them untouched/unopened.
Also it would double the postage costs.

To avoid these problems I would suggest the idea is probably only viable if the middle man handles only the cash.
The buyer would send the payment to the trusted person who then informs the seller.
The seller then sends the item directly to the buyer as he knows payment is secure.
Once the item has been received by the buyer the payment will be forwarded to the seller.

Of course certain conditions would need to be enforced such as methods of payment and strictly recorded deliveries only.

Mik

se-nse-a-win;Sell Any Item;[url=http://A-ZoTT.com]A-ZoTT.com[/
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-18 19:07
Sounds like an excellent idea, I'd be willing to act as the middleman from time to time!

Something does need to be done as there does seem to be quite a few scammers that pop up (or the same few that keep re-registering).

How would it work if it was a buyer with no feedback - would they send the payment to a middleman? I think for buying either bank transfers, cash, postal orders or confirmed paypal accounts would be the only acceptable methods.

Edit: Trackable posting has to be a must too, recorded del a minimum.

My Ebay Auctions:w: W810i, K700ix2 faulty, o

[ This Message was edited by: Sammy_boy on 2007-05-18 18:08 ]
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-18 19:08
That way it keeps postage cost's down to one way!

Either way something needs to be done, as for a fee that too is a very reasonable request, as I wouldn't have minded paying an extra £5-£10 if it meant I would have either a phone or my money back at the end of the transaction!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-05-21 09:18

On 2007-05-18 18:59:13, MikLSP wrote:
In reality there are many problems with a middle man taking care of the goods. The biggest of which is the opportunity it gives for someone to send a faulty phone to the middle man and then claim they damaged it.

Mik

Yes, that would be easily solved if the seller ensured that the phone was addressed and ready prepared for the middleman to post. This way there would be no reason for the middleman to handle the phone - only the parcel.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-05-21 09:33
...which would then raise the question of how the middle man can confirm that what is in the parcel matched what had been advertised so that the funds can be released? otherwise the seller could be sending any old value-less thing to the buyer, and I think the middle man should be taking care of both parties needs otherwise whats the point?

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2007-05-21 08:54 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-05-21 09:53
Thats certainly true!

So the middle-man should test the phone to see if it works as advertised?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-05-21 09:56
sorry, I was just editing my post as you replied again.

basically I added "I think the middle man should be taking care of both parties needs otherwise whats the point?"

The whole point is to ensure the transaction works for the seller and buyer and as for concerns over whether the middle man damaged the phone... again... isn't the point of all this that only trusted people would be the middle man and someone agreed by both sides, and therefore beyond doubt?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi