Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE failing in producing good phones?

Previous  123 4 ... 303132  Next
Author SE failing in producing good phones?
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 11:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I think SE needs to redress the balance of high-end phones in its portfolio.

We must remember that in the early years of the S700i and P800, when SE did have more for then, what were considered high-end phones in its portfolio, it was also a time when the company was losing millions of pounds and market share was stagnant if not falling, to such an extent that Ericsson made it known that it wasn't going to throw money into a bottomless pit.

Now the company has been turned around on the strength of a good stable of mid-tier handsets - not technically brilliant but good performers, a formula that is working right now, almost too well.

Still, I wish for something a bit bolder and I agree with most of what has been said, especially the poster that said its the consumers that benefit.

If for no other reason, we need another competitor to the N95 so at least we have some choice. Its good to see companies flexing their muscles and at least making the effort. For me Safe = Boring.

P990i + BT30Q

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-05-14 10:15 ]
kreacher
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 12:15
Is Nokia is producing only high-end phones? NO WAY! They're all over the price range. I don't buy this excuse of increasing market share by concentrating only on mid-range phones. SE has probably botched up their product plan this year and are playing catch up with Nokia.
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-14 12:35
which is the best selling SE phone ever? and how much did it sell?
nokia's 1100 sold 200million units
enh_cheung
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 13:28
Nokia being a big company, they have the money, the resource, and man power, the technology and the experience to use mass production strategy (production of normal phones) while producing high quality high end products like N-Series. This is what SE could not do at the moment.

SE is kind of a baby in the mobile phone industry and they need to try different strategy that most suitable for them. They have already tried the strategy that using great design & function to amaze ppl (e.g. S700i, K700i... ), different sub branding (e.g. Walkman & Cyber-Shot) to attract consumer, showing ppl what they could do. these are all good moves because at the very first stage of a company they really need to make themselves well known in order to attract ppls attension.

But now they have come across a point where the rate of popularity hit an impact that it won't go up quickly as it used to be. This is because they are now quite well known, which is what they wanted. What they are now trying to do is spread the market sharing, which effectively what Nokia is so successful in doing. This could be achieve by 2 ways: make some very high-Spec/quality fones that will attract more ppl (which is kind of same as what they start off with) or produce large amount of mid end spec phones for ppl to choose from.

It would be very difficult if the go for the first strategy because that would require lot of money to investigate new functions and productions, which i dont think SE could afford at this stage. Instead, going for mid end mass production will means their production cost would be lower and when more ppl buy their products, they will earn more for investment. Which is what they are doing at the moment.

From my opinion, they might still undertake some investigation in the high end technology at the background while they announce all these mid end, unattractive (at least to me) products to the market, but I am afriad this will happen for at least another year or so, untill they have gain futher more market shares and have more money to play with before joining back into the high end market.

For me, I am kind of disappointed by SE's recent products too, but I believe this is the un-avoidable step needed before producing some better high end products. It might also be another good chance for me to try something different, very unlikely to be nokia, but maybe something very different like the Meizu M8 Minione~
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 22:12
Nokia is hoping that the iPhone takes off. It will open the market for truly high-end phones. Not the wanna be phones that SE is currently offering.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/10000/

-/..../../...//.../../-/.//../...//--./---/../-./--.//-/---//-/...././/-../-

[ This Message was edited by: sapporobaby on 2007-05-14 21:15 ]
thami
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 23:43
zzzzzZZZZZZzzzzXXXZZZZ
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-05-15 03:22
@enh_cheung

get your point very well. i do think motorola have done this also before; producing super end phones with UIQ and first to have 3G in a smartphone i.e. A1000,A925 and so on. these were percieved as great move as SE does. but now we could hardly see super high-ends and they are constantly targets design, and function balance.
alrodlop35
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-05-15 05:07
This topic is quite a lot like why car manufacturers do the things they do. Why do they make ridiculously outrageous concept cars they'll never sell? IMO, it keeps people amazed at the possibilities and the things that are out of their reach. It makes people buy things from the brand hoping they'll get a little bit of the thing that's out of their reach. Like when some of my classmates buy an SE because they think it'll be similar to my K790a. Or when people can't afford a Porsche 911 but they go for a Boxster because it's got the same engineering and prestige.

This is why SE should take a bit of effort and make a powerhouse and show it off to the world so that buyers will buy an SE and be happy because it's from the same brand that created a powerhouse.

Of course this is just my opinion so please don't blast me.
supers33d
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-05-15 10:18
The K810i isnt a bad phone as your making it to be its a very buyable phone I like the retroness of the design its different. Reminds me of something taken out of a super sports car interior.

Sony ericsson have gone back in time to take a step forward whilst nokia have taken technology a step further to advance.

At least the SE isnt a windows mobile copycat

[ This Message was edited by: supers33d on 2007-05-15 09:19 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-05-15 10:26

On 2007-05-15 05:07:24, alrodlop35 wrote:

This is why SE should take a bit of effort and make a powerhouse and show it off to the world so that buyers will buy an SE and be happy because it's from the same brand that created a powerhouse.

Of course this is just my opinion so please don't blast me.

I completely understand where you're coming from. SE has long touted themselves as the brand that consumers aspire to - what with it having a higher average selling price than the other companies. However, at the moment, I wouldn't say it has the most advanced handsets. Strange that!
mailboxmanoj
K550 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-15 10:28
Hello,

Yes you are right,even I share the same concerns.
Iwill be the happiest person to see SE compete with Nokia and as rightly said by you SE has the technology to make Nokia crumble.

I really dont know whats going wrong,SE said sometime back that they are concentrating more on Quality and not quantity.

However I feel they should work more on low end,FM radio phones to increase their popularity,I mean its such a bad thing that Sony is lagging with all the technology and brains it has.

Somebody needs to go and tell the SE officials that a great company is going waste.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-15 12:07
Hi all,

I really think the problem is Ericsson where tech focused and SE are $$$$ focused, and sorry but just designing new phones and still fitting the same internals as in previous models doesn't really cut it as leading edge tech.

Either SE just bought to many of the chip sets and graphics processors and won't upgrade until they are all used, or they are just not interested or capable of using the latest tech. Which ever it is not really important what is, is that they should start upping there game and giving their consumers what they want and sooner rather than later. We are not talking about experimental technology but things that are already in the market if others can do it why not SE as it really makes very little sense, little things like HSDPA, EDGE, WiFi G, full graphics to chips to enable VGA 30fps all of these are and have been available for quite some time now but not from SE Why?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-05-15 11:10 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-05-15 12:18
@Dogmann

I agree with what you're saying about SE being £££ orientated atm but for a couple of years it made huge losses.

I would say that is at the moment wants to increase in size and it won't be able to do so unless it has the £££s in the bank to invest in new devices. R&D does cost money afterall with little or no return until the model reaches market.

For the past couple of years it has been raking in some good money at last so hopefully we will see the fruits of this soon. I just wish they would get a move on.
shery
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-16 12:20
the nokia made hightech named them n-series.maybe SE is about to launch 'se' series which will combine hanycam walkman and cybershot.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-05-16 12:36
SE should incorporate 3.2Mp cameras wit autofocus, 2 LED flashes, 512Mb MS card and a walkman 2.0 player to all of it's series in mid-range,

Low-mid ends should have 2mp AF cameras + 1 LED flash, walkman 1.0, and 128Mb memory card included.

High ends should have Symbian UIQ 3/3.1, 5Mp camera with AF + Xenon Flash, QVGA video @ 30Fps Walkman 3.0, 1Gb memory card and an HSDPA + Wifi for Smartphones, HSDPA + Edge for non-smartphones. adding a Nivdia or AMD Ati mobile video chip is a must for a high end.

Cybershot models should have more cybershot features(CCD sensor+ISO and lens stabilizer) and the same thing for walkman ranges(should have Standardized autofocus @ 2-3.2mp-5Mp) but both having QVGA video of at least 15Fps. S-Series should retain Sony CCD sensor in cameras as a part of cybertshot range,

T-series will continue having Thin stylish profile while retaining all features listed.

All "low ends" i.e. J-series should have VGA to 1.3MP cameras with QCIF video, memory stick slot without card included, TFT 160x120 screen and triband
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 303132  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic