Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE failing in producing good phones?

Previous  123 ... 303132  Next
Author SE failing in producing good phones?
skylineR35
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-05-13 13:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
i think SE do not have "serious" rival beside nokia to compete with. Samsung phone, motorola Vseries, are no more fighting "seriously" with se

The one now SE "seriously" fighting is LG, not nokia. LG non-stop making fashion phone and its becoming popular in the market. this attract SE to do the same thing instead of making high end phone to compete with Nseries like N95 N81 N82 etc.

As you know, the one who bought high end phone is less than those who bought stylish phone. start from V3. So now "i think" SE is targeting mid-end stylish phone. SE wants $$$$ of course. We might just see, what is the next step SE gonna do, continue making stylish phone or making "quality" phone...

just my 2 cents
Delta 9
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-13 15:03
The thing SE is doing right now is market segmentation. The old Ericsson days in which there was one flagship model are gone. Because SE wants to put it's money where it's mouth is Walkman phones get better music players and Cybershot phones better camera's. Let me rephrase that; Cybershot phones get inferior music players and Walkman phones inferior camera's.

Personally I don't think this is a bad thing, divide and conquer as the saying goes. As for the K800 - > K810 etc. upgrades, it's just a way of making an old model have a longer life and thus generate more profit. The SSNW (Same Shit New Wrapping) principle has worked in the past (egg. W800 -> W810).

Also the Twin tactic seems (W610 - K850, W580 - S500) to work. It has done so in the past for other company's (nokia 8310 -6510, 7210 - 6610). It's all about presenting options, some people like their phone to look trendy others like it to look professional.

As for the N95, I hate to admit it but it's beyond SE. But then again an N95 style phone isn't in the tradition of SE. This because even though the N95 is a smart phone it's appeal is toward normal consumers not business users. On the hole Nokia managed to make smartphones mainstream (via Symbian) something SE hasn't attempted yet (p series is very business oriented). If SE would release a phone with similar specs it would be a "mainstream" phone with a "mainstream" price tag. Or (and this I do fear) it will be released as a separate series (eg. NavU phone) with inferior camera, music player etc. I hope the latter won't happen and it will be integrated in a Cybershot phone.
4000 Miles an hour in a jet-airplane...... GO OUT OF YOUR MIND GO INSANE!!!!
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-13 16:54
You know what?

I think we are all correct. Hell, we should hire out our collective knowledge of the market and sell this to SE, Moto, and Nokia.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
andrewkeith5
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-13 19:06

Personally I don't think this is a bad thing, divide and conquer as the saying goes. As for the K800 - > K810 etc. upgrades, it's just a way of making an old model have a longer life and thus generate more profit. The SSNW (Same Shit New Wrapping) principle has worked in the past (egg. W800 -> W810).

As for the N95, I hate to admit it but it's beyond SE. But then again an N95 style phone isn't in the tradition of SE. This because even though the N95 is a smart phone it's appeal is toward normal consumers not business users. On the hole Nokia managed to make smartphones mainstream (via Symbian) something SE hasn't attempted yet (p series is very business oriented). If SE would release a phone with similar specs it would be a "mainstream" phone with a "mainstream" price tag. Or (and this I do fear) it will be released as a separate series (eg. NavU phone) with inferior camera, music player etc. I hope the latter won't happen and it will be integrated in a Cybershot phone.

I think in that first paragraph the phrase you want is an extension strategy - release a new version or variant of a product to increase is life cycle and giv eyou more time to get the next one right.

And i agree with you totall on the second paragraph. I really think that at least 95% of all the people that get the n95 will actually use it as a proper smartphone. Smartphones are for power-users, business people, and those that actually want to use them to their full potential. theyre not for the mass market, whcih is where SE is superior. It creates products that do what their users want them to do, and are easy to use to their full potential without being limiting in functionality (like lower end nokias). Its the power:easyiness ratio that makes sony ericsson products win. Theres a reason why out of the 2000 pupils in my school, i've only ever seen five using nokias. Everybody else has a sony ericsson or a samsung (and some motorolas, but god only knows why)

and @sapporobaby: i like the idea

[b]To contact me on any of my posts, please call me on

[ This Message was edited by: andrewkeith5 on 2007-05-13 18:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: andrewkeith5 on 2007-05-13 18:09 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-13 19:44
Hi andrewkeith5

i really don't know how young you are as you have just stated that your at school but your view of the real world is really very unrealistic. We all get you are an SE fan and hate Nokia which is fair enough your right to choose. But you really do need to stop making sweep statements that are not backed up by facts as this just makes you look rather silly you latest quote.

"I really think that at least 95% of all the people that get the n95 will actually use it as a proper smart phone. Smart phones are for power-users, business people, and those that actually want to use them to their full potential. they re not for the mass market, which is where SE is superior. It creates products that do what their users want them to do, and are easy (like lower end nokias). Its the power:easyiness ratio that makes sony ericsson products win."

Please quantify they different points you make in this statement as I'm afraid most of it is just pointless ramblings that again have no basis in fact or reality.

I really can't see how you can claim the N95 is not a mass market device as it's sales figures would beg to differ. Also are you following around everyone that has bought one to check that they are not using to it's full potential otherwise how can you even guess this is so wishful thinking doesn't count I'm afraid.

As for this is where SE are superior and creates products there users want to use to their full potential without being limiting in functionality, May i respectfully suggest you read all the threads in this very forum cataloguing missing features and what SE users really want from their phones Cybershot with decent Media players or Walkman with decent camera features as yet again your opinion is not backed up by facts. You most certainly are an SE fan boy and there is nothing wrong with that but please get a grip on reality SE are quite simply not this great company you perceive as they have proved too many times recently and stop the slating of any product that isn't from SE as really that is just pathetic no one is saying you have like them or buy them but give them some credit where it's due and try accept that SE are not the company you seem to think they are although they could be.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-05-13 18:46 ]
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-13 20:17

On 2007-05-13 19:06:45, andrewkeith5 wrote:

And i agree with you totall on the second paragraph. I really think that at least 95% of all the people that get the n95 will actually use it as a proper smartphone. Smartphones are for power-users, business people, and those that actually want to use them to their full potential. theyre not for the mass market, whcih is where SE is superior. It creates products that do what their users want them to do, and are easy to use to their full potential without being limiting in functionality (like lower end nokias). Its the power:easyiness ratio that makes sony ericsson products win. Theres a reason why out of the 2000 pupils in my school, i've only ever seen five using nokias. Everybody else has a sony ericsson or a samsung (and some motorolas, but god only knows why)

and @sapporobaby: i like the idea

[b]To contact me on any of my posts, please call me on

[ This Message was edited by: andrewkeith5 on 2007-05-13 18:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: andrewkeith5 on 2007-05-13 18:09 ]

that is utter nonsence you've written there. do you really think because 2000 pupil in your school use SE is the reason why SE is easier to use?
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 00:25
Guys, guys, don't beat up on him too badly. Obviously from his posts he has little or no idea about what he speaks. For him, Andrekeith5, to make such broad and general statements, it goes to show that he lives in a fantasy land where everyone has an SE phone.

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 00:52

On 2007-05-13 12:21:56, sapporobaby wrote:

On 2007-05-13 11:48:29, razec wrote:
add to my previous post,

motorola and SE have feature packed phones in the form of A and P series, nokia have phones in at least in PAR of their technology; the featurepacked 9xxx series. but now Nokia tends to be too high in their standards in their smartphones as motorola did on Q series and SE on the P-series smarthones.

On PAR you say. Name one SE phone that can compete with the N95. Buggy software aside as Nokia and SE phones are laden with it but, right now Nokia is leading the pack. Expect to see more phones from Nokia's competitors to start having GPS built in.

As for cameras. Let's be realistic. A camera in a phone is for the most part nothing to write home about. If you want to take great shots, get a real camera. Don't use a camera phone and complain about the low quality in the shots.

you didn't get what i mean dude,when i say PAR, i meant it in old days so you can read 9xxx series(successed by E series) and i don't know where did you get the N95 thing involved on the PAST,we all know it's more superior in features than the previous A and P series as i am emphasizing. read well before you react dude.
SopoIki
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 01:54
Nokia, SE, both of them are run by the best minds in business that money can buy, engineers, designers, managers. Why SE has not released its N95 counterpart, imo it's not because they can't technically, but because they know something we don't. I'm no business expert but I know one thing, David cannot beat Goliath using the same sword and spear (trying to compete at all levels, especially the high end). Sling and stone (low and mid end segments) work for them.

Trying to compete with the market leader, the 800 pounds gorrila with all its resources is very hard already, let alone trying to beat them in its own game. Instead of worrying on what they should or should not do as if we know better, why don't we all sit back, relax, and enjoy the fight, because the competition is benefitting us all, the consumers
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 02:24
It's all PART and PARCEL of their marketing strategy . . . is into proliferating new models lately, more on QUANTITY rather than QUALITY [addsig]
skylineR35
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 07:48
agree.

in this world nothing is perfect. either great in quantity or quality.
I think SE is going for the "quantity"... always connected to $$$$ in the end.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 10:03
you didn't get what i mean dude,when i say PAR, i meant it in old days so you can read 9xxx series(successed by E series) and i don't know where did you get the N95 thing involved on the PAST,we all know it's more superior in features than the previous A and P series as i am emphasizing. read well before you react dude.

Ah, okay, but you have to remember, the E-Series came well after the P series phones from SE. The Nokia E series phones have been very successful. I don't think that I was including the N95 in my discussion about the past as this would not make sense. I was mainly talking about the here and now as this is all that matters. Currently, Nokia is leading the pack when it comes to innovation IMHO. SE is simply going through the motions and following. Case in point, look at the P-990. They put an 802.11 B wifi radio in the phone when the rest of the world has well evolved to the 802.11G standard. This is not innovation in my opinion but giving you something to placate you. This is also one reason why I for all intents have left SE. They really do not seem to have their head in the game.

QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-14 10:14
even the new P1 has wifi B
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 10:17

On 2007-05-14 10:14:39, QVGA wrote:
even the new P1 has wifi B

True, but G is the standard and has been for 2 or more years, but SE decided to put the older B standard in their flagship biz phone. Does not make sense.

Dummaari
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 10:58
good phones??

now the question is good to whom?
from sony ericsson point of view i guess they are producing good mobiles for majority of the customers, who are middle range customers. this is clearly seen from there lastest sales fiqures.. the market for mid range mobile is much bigger then high end market, so now they are more focused in mid range & they are making good money.

true when p800 came in to market, it was superior then most high end mobiles from other vendors. but due to small market, they couldnt make a good profit & return was not high..but now they are getting a high return.
so from sony ericsson point of view they are making better mobiles now..

but since most of the forum users are high end users, we feel we are not getting the best mobile from sony ericsson now. this is true & very sad for me also..
i guess this is the reality.. but i wish they still take the top spot with a very good high end mobile..
i like symbain uiq & sony ericsson then others, & very really sad with the current products, when i see products like N95 from nokia
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 303132  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic