Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Sony Ericsson Launches P1 qwerty Smartphone

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 484950  Next
Author Sony Ericsson Launches P1 qwerty Smartphone
jabbadabba
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 19:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

I believe you, the extremely busy and productive software engineer, are somewhat full of it. How constructive is it to continuously call something a piece of shit, providing little to no info? I vacuumed the net for info and user opinions on smart phones, and the P1i comes out as quite regarded compared to most. Did it strike you, the software engineer, that it might be your phone, your setup or other factors concerning your situation specifically that might be the problem?

That said, The P1i's surely not perfect, but it haven't given me problems yet. But then, I'm no software engineer
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 19:10
Ahh, when all else fails, the personal attack. Quite the SE fanatic, I see....
EMSH
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 19:18
Anil, why dont you sit for five minutes and give us a rest of the flaws-not all but critical ones only? It is not personal attack, it is being objective.
jabbadabba
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 19:35

On 2007-11-20 19:10:07, Anil Gidwani wrote:
Ahh, when all else fails, the personal attack. Quite the SE fanatic, I see....

Oh please, "when all else fails"? There's nothing else to "attack", Anil. You were just waiting for this to get personal, weren't you If you have specific problems, present them. It's just that you don't seem interested in solving anything.
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-21 03:17
Ok, big guy, here are my initial specific problems, not one, but two, let's see if you can solve them:

a) When I sync my calendar entries from Outlook, the Calendar application fails to start up saying 'not enough memory'. I'm running the latest WG1 firmware that I upgraded to just yesterday. No. of entries: 1500+. It seems the Calendar application cannot handle entries beyond a certain number.

b) When I sync Contacts, contacts that had categories assigned to them in Outlook show up as multiple contacts on the phone. A great productivity booster, I'm sure. (for beta-testers, at least)

And please don't tell me PC Suite has always been flaky and that I should disregard these problems. PC Suite is as much part of the phone as the rest of the software on the phone.
gseh88
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-21 15:42

On 2007-11-21 03:17:17, Anil Gidwani wrote:
Ok, big guy, here are my initial specific problems, not one, but two, let's see if you can solve them:

a) When I sync my calendar entries from Outlook, the Calendar application fails to start up saying 'not enough memory'. I'm running the latest WG1 firmware that I upgraded to just yesterday. No. of entries: 1500+. It seems the Calendar application cannot handle entries beyond a certain number.

b) When I sync Contacts, contacts that had categories assigned to them in Outlook show up as multiple contacts on the phone. A great productivity booster, I'm sure. (for beta-testers, at least)

And please don't tell me PC Suite has always been flaky and that I should disregard these problems. PC Suite is as much part of the phone as the rest of the software on the phone.

If you have 1500+ calendar entries, are you synchronising the whole of your Outlook diary including past events and all future events? If so, why not try limiting them and seeing if this helps?

As for using categories in Outlook, I use these too and have no problem with multiple entries. However, each of my contacts only has one category. Are the multiple entries caused by you having more than one category for an entry? If so, I agree that this looks like a bug.

As I have said elsewhere on these forums in reply to one of your many posts bemoaning the P1, I think all smartphones will have their limitations and whatever make you choose, there have to be some compromises. You simply cannot expect something the size of the P1 to perform all the functions of your PC. That's like complaining that your mini isn't as fast as your Ferrari! If the P1's compromises do not suit you, it does not necessarily make it a terrible phone, just the wrong one for you. Having said that, it sounds like you have a faulty one anyway (from your other posts).
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-21 16:39
Hi all,

Sorry but my Multimedia smart phone manged to sync two years back and 1 Year forward worth of Calendar entries with out a single duplicate or any error and that was 4,958 entries. Are you seriously telling me a Business smart phone like the P1 can't handle that many entries?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-21 16:45 ]
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-22 03:08
The synchronization program is as much part of the phone as any other piece of software actually residing on the phone. It should work completely and without error.

To have to limit the number of entries synchronized would be self-defeating and serve no purpose.

Corporates spend millions to preserve and protect their data. Does SE do so for its own valuable database of customers?

gseh88
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-23 01:47

On 2007-11-21 16:39:09, Dogmann wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry but my Multimedia smart phone manged to sync two years back and 1 Year forward worth of Calendar entries with out a single duplicate or any error and that was 4,958 entries. Are you seriously telling me a Business smart phone like the P1 can't handle that many entries?

Marc

I think it has been established in one of the other threads that the number of entries is probably not the problem. However, that is not the point. There are many levels of business users of smartphones. I consider myself one of the heavier users and am perfectly happy with the P1. You, on the other hand, appear to be an extremely heavy user. Like everything in life, it's all about compromises and I am happy to limit the period which is synchronised onto my phone. I accept that I don't need my whole life available immediately on my phone at any point in time. You on the other hand, appear to be one of those people who does not understand the meaning of the word compromise and sees everything in terms of black and white: something is either great or the worst thing in the world. You not only want your Mini to be as fast as a Ferrari but you also want it to carry 6 passengers and be able to drive up a mountain and when it can't you scream blue murder. I don't think anything I say will change your mind so I think it's best to stop the discussion there. Even Anil seems to have simmered down from his latest post I've read!

I hope you find that perfect smartphone soon.

[ This Message was edited by: gseh88 on 2007-11-23 00:50 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-23 01:59
@gseh88

I really have no idea what you are talking about but a Buisness smartphone that has problems syncing all required Calendar entries can not be considered a good thing however you want try and excuse it.

As for finding my perfect smart phone i have done so and found owned and used plenty for past 17 months but they have all been S60,

I'm still waiting for SE to be able to offer a smart phone that has HSDPA and more than a 3 year old 208mhz processor with a stable and well developed Software. With any luck the forthcoming P5? or whatever it is called will be able to achieve this and i may return once again to SE, but an early adopter i most certainly won't be not a chance. I will have to see that SE manage to deliver what they promise for once and not a work in progress.

I don't pay to be a Beta tester and if i buy a device and it doesn't fulfill my needs and deliver what it promises it gets sold and fast. I know no device is perfect when launched by 6 months plus waiting for Firmware fixes is totally unacceptable IMO.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-23 00:59 ]
Anil Gidwani
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-23 03:10
Well, @qseh, I've simmered down because a) AquaCalendar seems to do the job b) the phone seems stable in other respects, even though not as richly featured as I would like.

But honestly, a business phone that does not offer a reliable PIM? And why has SE downgraded the features on the PIM applications? On the contrary, the PIM in a business phone should be even more richly featured, reliable and robust without needing third-party software. Even the P900 was richer.

And what is this I hear about backups not being reliable? I no longer maintain a paper diary, so my phone is the primary repository of all my scheduling and contact data. I move forward with trepidation if backups are not reliable. And not a little disappointment.
gseh88
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-25 01:23

On 2007-11-23 03:10:45, Anil Gidwani wrote:
Well, @qseh, I've simmered down because a) AquaCalendar seems to do the job b) the phone seems stable in other respects, even though not as richly featured as I would like.

But honestly, a business phone that does not offer a reliable PIM? And why has SE downgraded the features on the PIM applications? On the contrary, the PIM in a business phone should be even more richly featured, reliable and robust without needing third-party software. Even the P900 was richer.

And what is this I hear about backups not being reliable? I no longer maintain a paper diary, so my phone is the primary repository of all my scheduling and contact data. I move forward with trepidation if backups are not reliable. And not a little disappointment.

@ Anil

I can understand what you say about PIMs but I am so used to buying 3rd party PIM software whether I am using Palm or Pocket PC devices that I accept that no software will be perfect for everyone. The manufacturers are onto a no win situation on this front. It is ironic that the PIM software on my P1 is the first I have used which has not been replaced within the first week or two. And surely that is the point, what I look for in an application is probably very different from what you require. There is every chance that although you may find Aquacalendar superior, I may well prefer the standard P1 application. One of the reasons I like it is because of its simplicity. I realised after years of using Agendus on my Palm that you end up with too much of a good thing and that life without "features" such as icons, categories, attendees, etc is a good thing. Once again, it's just my opinion.

As for unreliable backups, I have never had a problem but this has never concerned me since all my data is reflected on my PC, notebook and Pocket PC. The only thing backups do is to restore the setup of my phone (emails, connectivity, etc) which, I agree, is not as comprehensive as it should be.

[ This Message was edited by: gseh88 on 2007-11-25 00:27 ]
borgyt
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-25 04:50
i have a question, is it not possible to add animations anymore to SMS messages? although i have been able to see animations from SMS sent to me, i can't seem to find them when writing an SMS message. is there any workaround to this?
jabbadabba
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-25 18:05

On 2007-11-25 04:50:07, borgyt wrote:
i have a question, is it not possible to add animations anymore to SMS messages? although i have been able to see animations from SMS sent to me, i can't seem to find them when writing an SMS message. is there any workaround to this?

Right beside the smilie icon beneath the text field when writing a message. Isn't this what you mean?
PDAMad
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-11-25 19:06

On 2007-11-25 04:50:07, borgyt wrote:

Do you have the "Enable Smilies" option ticked under Messaging / More / Settings?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 484950  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic