Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Sony Ericsson Launches P1 qwerty Smartphone

Previous  123 ... 373839 ... 484950  Next
Author Sony Ericsson Launches P1 qwerty Smartphone
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 17:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Anyone fancy one of these for £520 delivered? Proto SE 123 on front and back. New, boxed with bits.
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 17:40
Doggman, do you, in all your wisdom, know the future specs of the P990 successor??? How can you say it will be inferior to any Nokia stuff at the time??? Why can´t it be opposite??? Jeez
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 17:55
I just think a lot of what Dogman is saying (repeatedly) misunderstands what SE have aimed for in their smartphones, and indeed why people have bought them in the past, and will continue to buy them. The P800, for example, was not the most cutting edge device of its time - there were faster PDAs and similar devices even then, some with more memory etc. As the P900 and P910 continued the line, there were many technology improvements that the P series completely ignored - for example 3G, which became widely available before the P910 came to market, and of course higher quality cameras - until the P990, the P series was stuck with the same old VGA affair, while everyone else moved on. And yet the P910 is still regarded now not as some dusty forgotten relic, but as the best smartphone on the market at that time, and for a good time afterwards (even, sadly, in comparison to its successor).

The P910 was little more than a refined P800 under the skin, throughly outdated at the time by Dogmann's standards, and beaten squarely by much of the competition on pure specs, but it still sold well, and is still the faithful companion of many people here and in business. Why? Because it's more than just the sum of its parts! It's a complete package, and an unbeatable package at the time of its release. So too will the P1 be - affordable, powerful enough, fast enough, with good battery life, small size, low weight, the list goes on. Like any phone the P1i will be a compromise, but if it gets the compromise right - as the P800, P900, and P910 did before it - then it will still be a winner.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2007-07-06 17:02 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 18:13
@Ares

Why are you trying to put words in my mouth that i haven't said or even suggested what i said was

"Maybe by then SE will start catching up but it will need a huge jump to do it but until they do they leave me with no choice."

Which is no where near what you are suggesting i have said and seeing as SE currently use a 208mhz chip i don't see how you can argue with that for them to be of a similar spec will indeed require a huge jump that really isn't open to discussion it is a fact. I don't know what spec the P990 successor will have and am very interested to see and really hope it does come with the top of line processor available when launched as i f not i won't consider it.

If it does that's great but it will still be a huge jump from the current spec's used and that is the point i was making. These OMAP Series 3 chips should start appearing early next Year whilst the P990 is not due till mid to late 2008. I really had hoped that these new devices already launched had come with greatly improved spec's but they haven't much to my disappointment. I just don't want to wait till mid way through next year for improved spec i want them now hence my choice of current devices. I won't even buy another device with the current chip and will wait for the Series 3 chip to arrive for my next device. But as i currently have the most powerful processor and graphics array found in any Symbian device as well as HSDPA i can afford to wait.

@Boinng and all,

Please where i have i ever suggested or said that the P1 will not sell or be successful? as the simple answer is i haven't. All that i say and stand by is that it's spec is lacking for me and others and that is a fact. If you and others are happy to buy and use it great but for lot's of us the fact it could of been so much better and offered the things we want is a missed opportunity. That doesn't mean it's a bad device or rubbish just that for some of us it's not enough and is lacking in what we want. So freedom of choice means those of you that want it can buy it and those of us that don't won't. I really don't see the problem here unless you just believe we should all just buy SE irrespective of if it offers what we want. Well sorry i choose my devices by what they offer and how well they fulfil my needs and wants not by brand.

You see what i find really funny is i never say a product is terrible don't buy it all i do is point it's deficiencies from my perspective and any problems it may exhibit. Whilst others are happy to try and destroy products they have never touched just because it's not from SE every one should be free to choose what ever device suits them best as none are perfect but some are perfect for the individual user.

Marc

http://dogmann.vox.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-07-08 12:40 ]
Zed@CPS
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-06 20:55
Guys, it's time to grow up.

Edit: This post was not intended in this thread which clearly contains valuable comments from respectable members - sorry for the mistake!

[ This Message was edited by: Lisa@CPS on 2007-07-08 15:59 ]
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 21:58

On 2007-07-06 20:55:00, Lisa@CPS wrote:
Guys, it's time to grow up.

I wouldn't say so. The dialogue is really nice and every participant has a good point.
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 23:07

On 2007-07-06 14:57:46, tkao2025 wrote:

explore first the P1 from it's release, then have your second thoughts. don't be too much oriented with the specs given to you but rather discover what it can do with it's features then choose which one suits you better. what you heard from dogman were all about loaded terminologies based on the specs he'd provided you. remember not all things will remain same once it's repeated as far as dogman wanted emphasize to us. discover first how P1 will perform and if it will do the best on you otherwise go to other model.

I'm not a huge power user and the P990i suited me fine, but was a little ram hungry. All I would like is a phone to have Exchange support, auto-focus camera, A2DP, and keyboard. The only phones that fit this bill right now are the P1 and E90. The P990i also fits, but I think the P1 will fix the ram problem and have a more readable screen in sunlight. Oh decisions...decisions.

Now no one else has anymore info on release date? Funny because other than the addition of cam and wifi, the P1 firmware should be somewhat stable now since they've been working a lot on the P990i. I can't believe they are taking so long to release it.....especially the last smartphone released by SE was last year.

I think its due for release from the 23rd of this month (says o2) so should be everywhere in August hopefully.

I think Razec has given some very good advice. Wait and see how the p1i turns out and base it on your needs and not on a raw features list. I think e90 is a good phone but its too big and too heavy that you might wish you bought a smaller, more convienient phone in the long term (especially when its weighing down in your pocket everyday) and the camera in the p1i is expected to be much better.
jlpk007
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-07-08 13:20
the wait is very long...........
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-07-08 18:16

On 2007-07-06 23:07:41, londonlad123 wrote:
...and the camera in the p1i is expected to be much better.

Yes but I have a problem with phone cameras that don't have a lens cover. Unless the production version of P1 includes a lens cover, the dirt etc. accumulating will surely effect the picture quality.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
remirez
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-07-09 13:02
Hey fellow P1i potential buyers,
I was checking Expansys as I often do lately and I was surprised to that even if the status of the P1 hasn't changes (Order on request) it seems that the price has dropped.
If I remember correctly it was first at £549 it is now at the incredible price of

£449.95

yes

£449.95

I hope it continues to go down. Drop it another £50 or so and it will be a real winner.

I might make a purchase on Expansys very soon.

I've just checked a few pages back and someone was saying that the planned price in his nearby shop was €549~£370.

Expansys shave another £70 of your price and count me in.

[ This Message was edited by: remirez on 2007-07-09 12:17 ]
tkao2025
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-07-09 13:15
Well does this mean it's out in limited qty from Expansys or a preorder?
smilerthe cheshirecat
Z600
PM
Posted: 2007-07-09 13:32
Just a preorder.... I am waiting patiently with Expansys with my preordered p1i...
as of last week...they had no release details...
remirez
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-07-09 13:32
It loos more like a preorder to me or they're waiting to have a good number of orders to order from SE.

The status should change in a couple of weeks.
cokeman
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-07-09 14:18

On 2007-07-09 13:02:33, remirez wrote:
If I remember correctly it was first at £549 it is now at the incredible price of
£449.95

Well that seems expansive?!??

The price in Sweden atm is 316,87 GBP
/ CokeMan
Sony Ericsson P1i with 4Gb m2 card, MBW-150, HSB-DS200, HBH-IV835, MDS-70, MPS-60 + more.
jlpk007
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-07-09 14:25
anyone noes when is it coming out.......
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 373839 ... 484950  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic