Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Sony Ericsson Launches P1 qwerty Smartphone

Previous  123 ... 363738 ... 484950  Next
Author Sony Ericsson Launches P1 qwerty Smartphone
deuxani
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2007-07-05 18:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ PcMan, its €549 with taxes included. Thats a very reasonable price if you ask me.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-07-05 18:59
@dogmman, despite what you say, P1 will be a hit, at the mentioned price...its sleek, its sexy, it has true multitasking capability...not everyone wants a brick, despite of how powerfull it is

regarding free apps advantage of s60 v3, one is gonna disappear really really soon, its related with VOIP...guess what...and i am talking because i am testing it
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-07-05 19:46

On 2007-07-05 18:59:55, ares wrote:
@dogmman, despite what you say, P1 will be a hit, at the mentioned price...its sleek, its sexy, it has true multitasking capability...not everyone wants a brick, despite of how powerfull it is

regarding free apps advantage of s60 v3, one is gonna disappear really really soon, its related with VOIP...guess what...and i am talking because i am testing it

Agree on that but dogmman is IMO right to a certain degree. Probably it will not be a hit amongst P990 users because it really doesnt give enough meat for a change (price difference included) but for others (TS addicted) it is IMO currently best thing on the market.

I hope voip works good and it will be available for P990:)
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2007-07-05 20:10
Agreed (with Ares) - the P1i isn't cutting edge, but in many ways that's its strength. For one thing it's benefiting from SE's bitter experience with the P990, which means improvements where needed on an an otherwise stable base, and for another it's obviously cutting costs significantly by re-using last year's technology platform, which means it's apparently $400 shy of the competition. That's a significant saving for anyone in the smartphone market, and enough to make even the most specs-obsessed buyer think twice - unless they're Dogman, obviously!

I've actually been giving some serious thought to the N95 as my next phone - I'd miss the touchscreen and qwerty of my M600, but just for a while I was won over by the idea of GPS and good quality video. I figured by the time I'll be upgrading (October/November) it'll be a good price too. Problem is, I then read all the reviews, particularly the parts about the battery life. With the P1, being based so closely on my M600, I know it will do what I need and stay up for as long as I need it, whereas Nokia's "cutting edge" platform doesn't offer that same reassurement.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-07-05 21:47
Hi all,

Listen i have never said or even suggested that anyone shouldn't get the P1 or even the W960 but these claims of superior technology are just totally unfounded if it's what you want that's fine by me.

Also great that that some UIQ3 devices will start getting Skype functionality at last but i have had this now for so long it just not a big deal any more.

Nokia release loads of really good and free apps and continue to do so, i have just started using Windows Live Messenger yet another free app that now gives me my MSN.com/Hotmail e-mails all synced on my devices plus all the other Windows Live abilities on my S60 devices. Just look at how many free apps come directly from Nokia for S60 devices and tell me any other OS that gets this amount of continuing support and improvements with no need for complaints from their users to make it happen.

Nokia have just released yet another new version of their PC Suite that now includes the ability to transfer files and folders between not only your computer to device but even device to device. Yes i jumped ship a Year and no i don't regret it one bit the difference between the service i was used to and what i get now is just so wide it is virtually unbelievable.

Again i will repeat if anyone wants to use any device that suits them that really is fine by me i just like to get the most for my money and the latest and best spec's i am able to for my money. Sorry what ever you say SE is just not delivering on this front they may make nice looking devices but they are seriously behind on spec's the biggest thing missing is HSDPA on Data centric devices for late 2007 is just plain madness IMHO.

Marc

http://dogmann.vox.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-07-05 20:49 ]
tkao2025
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-07-05 23:56

On 2007-07-05 18:46:31, Dogmann wrote:
@tkao2025

The difference in price reflects the difference in what you are getting P1 old 208mhz processor and lite graphics chip as opposed to a 330mhz and full graphics, no HSDPA, No VGA video recording, no big screen no full qwerty etc etc. One is merely fitted with an additional 128mb RAM and a Camera otherwise all it's spec's are old. The other runs the most powerful processor seen in a Symbian device and all the most up to date technology has tons of free apps both from Nokia and developers and has already new firmware available before it is even has been released in all territories, who knows if and when SE will release firmware for the P1 maybe every 2 months again if you are lucky or they may end up not releasing any.

Don't get me wrong every one is free to decide which device they want but they really can't be compared as a like for like as they are not even close. Personally when buying a device i want the latest and best i can get not just rehashed and redressed old stuff.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-07-05 17:54 ]

Oh man.....now you've got me second guessing again...thanks a lot
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 10:44

On 2007-07-05 23:56:44, tkao2025 wrote:

Oh man.....now you've got me second guessing again...thanks a lot

explore first the P1 from it's release, then have your second thoughts. don't be too much oriented with the specs given to you but rather discover what it can do with it's features then choose which one suits you better. what you heard from dogman were all about loaded terminologies based on the specs he'd provided you. remember not all things will remain same once it's repeated as far as dogman wanted emphasize to us. discover first how P1 will perform and if it will do the best on you otherwise go to other model.
10 years at Esato
Bambino
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 13:04
The power of P1 is come from the OS. Somehow UIQ is addictive at least for me

[ This Message was edited by: nokiamaniax on 2007-07-06 12:07 ]
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 13:07
The app i was talking about is fring...available from today for UIQ3 phones (except W950 and M600)
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 13:13
Hi Ares

So that would be the P990 then? what about the P1 or W960 or even the Z8?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-07-06 12:13 ]
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 13:22
Doggman, donīt know about the Z8, i think they must make a special version (among s60 v3 there are different versions also), but i am sure P990 version will work on P1 and W960...and fring already said they would be supported
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
tkao2025
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 14:57

explore first the P1 from it's release, then have your second thoughts. don't be too much oriented with the specs given to you but rather discover what it can do with it's features then choose which one suits you better. what you heard from dogman were all about loaded terminologies based on the specs he'd provided you. remember not all things will remain same once it's repeated as far as dogman wanted emphasize to us. discover first how P1 will perform and if it will do the best on you otherwise go to other model.

I'm not a huge power user and the P990i suited me fine, but was a little ram hungry. All I would like is a phone to have Exchange support, auto-focus camera, A2DP, and keyboard. The only phones that fit this bill right now are the P1 and E90. The P990i also fits, but I think the P1 will fix the ram problem and have a more readable screen in sunlight. Oh decisions...decisions.

Now no one else has anymore info on release date? Funny because other than the addition of cam and wifi, the P1 firmware should be somewhat stable now since they've been working a lot on the P990i. I can't believe they are taking so long to release it.....especially the last smartphone released by SE was last year.
PcMan
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 16:06

On 2007-07-05 18:51:13, deuxani wrote:
@ PcMan, its €549 with taxes included. Thats a very reasonable price if you ask me.

Lol tnx fortheinfo, if it's similar price to that u said it will be really a hit.. Nice buisness phone with in that price+more than great desighn and small form factor..

I'm still bothering some latest WM6 device, P1 or W960.. The latest htc kaiser is quite a lot impressive.. hmmm
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-06 16:35

On 2007-07-05 21:47:04, Dogmann wrote:
Nokia release loads of really good and free apps and continue to do so, i have just started using Windows Live Messenger yet another free app that now gives me my MSN.com/Hotmail e-mails all synced on my devices plus all the other Windows Live abilities on my S60 devices. Just look at how many free apps come directly from Nokia for S60 devices and tell me any other OS that gets this amount of continuing support and improvements with no need for complaints from their users to make it happen.

Nokia have just released yet another new version of their PC Suite that now includes the ability to transfer files and folders between not only your computer to device but even device to device. Yes i jumped ship a Year and no i don't regret it one bit the difference between the service i was used to and what i get now is just so wide it is virtually unbelievable.

Again i will repeat if anyone wants to use any device that suits them that really is fine by me i just like to get the most for my money and the latest and best spec's i am able to for my money. Sorry what ever you say SE is just not delivering on this front they may make nice looking devices but they are seriously behind on spec's the biggest thing missing is HSDPA on Data centric devices for late 2007 is just plain madness IMHO.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-07-05 20:49 ]

Dogman presents a VERY IMPORTANT POINT for ALL of us here. However, Fring is coming to the P990 ( http://forums.se-nse.net/inde[....]68a3d0f52b51c&showtopic=12268)

Marc,

Maybe then what we ALL want or need & hope for SE is to higher more ADEPT coders to the UIQ3 platform (not just Symbian in general). Even if their paying for Freelancers to do a collaborated job it would be incredible.

I wish to be able to stream Video/Audio to a compatible TV set like the NOkia (N80/N95/E61i/E90). I want that file (Bittorent/FTP) app thats free on S60 to be ported over to UIQ3. I'd like to be able to have more apps that are robust made by SE and other coders and NOT proprietary to a vendor like Motorola.

PS how long do you think it'll take Nokia - if they notice - to implement side scrolling information on missed calls, subjects of emails (even if its from BBConnect)!?? I bet no more than 3mths or less!

To be very honest I'm very surprised that UIQ3 isn't dead. and I LOVE what SE has done with the W960 (just peeved no GSM/GPRS/EDGE on 850mhz band as that is important to me - where I work now and were I will shortly).

Well we'll know how this goes. I personally may just get the P1i (November) but still unsure.

PS SonyEricsson > work with Denon or Gemini and make a nice interface for a mixer & software for this W960 as a DJ music source
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-07-06 17:31
Hi Prom1

People have me down as this tyrant that hates SE and forget that until last June virtually all my Data devices came from just one manufacturer well 2 if you include the morph to SE from Ericsson. In the early days of Mobile Data i was a strong supporter of Ericsson and was one of the reasons i used to be given Demo equipment and got involved in testing.

I really was horrified at what SE did in releasing UIQ3 in the state it was in especially after all the delays from the announcement. Whilst UIQ3 was different from UIQ2 this is still not a good enough reason or excuse IMO. This along with the total lack of communication and the time it took for each new firmware was just not acceptable IMO and why i started to look elsewhere for my devices.

The initial pictures of the new UIQ3 devices where indeed exciting but this soon disappeared once i realised that all the changes were mainly cosmetic. I still hoped to buy SE products but they ae not moving forward whilst everything and everyone else is. I just do not accept this argument of these things are not needed things are advancing and at an ever increasing rate both in terms of processing and graphics power and speed of delivery from the Networks and theses devices will be unable to take advantage of them within in their lifetime. They have Zero future proofing they are not even able to take advantage of what is already here now.

The next time we can expect new processors and improved spec's from SE is in the true P990 successor mid to late 2008. Buy that time Nokia and others will be using the OMAP3 processors and all that brings with it processor speeds of up to 1ghz and incredible audio and video abilities plus of course support for up to 7.2mbps HSDPA. Maybe by then SE will start catching up but it will need a huge jump to do it but until they do they leave me with no choice.

I also find this recent episode with SE where if they could of got away with it they would of been happy to of stopped support for the UIQ3 devices disgusting and actually unbelievable . Only due to the reactions and actions of their users were they forced to have a change of position and now all is forgiven by many and some even want to praise SE for this.

SE have lost me and many others as customers some may return but others won't and i don't think this will drastically effect SE either. Especially as they now appear to be concentrating on other market segments especially the Cybershot and Walkman ranges. I just long for the old days when Ericsson or even SE delivered exciting cutting edge devices that were guaranteed to be quality products.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-07-06 16:32 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 363738 ... 484950  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic