Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Using Other People's Wi-Fi Without Permission

Author Using Other People's Wi-Fi Without Permission
joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2007-04-20 12:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-04-20 10:19:30, locoworks wrote:
how do you KNOW if your stealing someone elses wifi? there are some places that have 'free' wifi hotspots as a service, and there is a city somewhere, ( can't remember which city, saw on TV a few months back ) where the whole place has free wifi connection.
i would go along with what others have said along the lines of if its not secure you should not be penalised for using it. if your in the middle of the high street and you get a signal, how do you know whether its from the little cafe advertising free wifi or the flat above the shoe shop over the road? 'secure or share' would be a fair wifi motto.

Not sure but i think in most cases when connecting to free wifi (via a cafe or something) it takes you to there homepage first, so you would indeed know its free and your not stealing it.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-20 12:26
when connect to "free" wifi, i start browsing with the page i just want to, no homepage pops up first. i just set it as access point and thats it
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-21 07:40

On 2007-04-20 08:35:26, carkitter wrote:

BTW, when did it become okay to steal off the rich? Are they not entitled to the same rights as everybody else? I also can't condone Wifi-Rage either; you be better off calling the Police as in the first post.

dude I'm not sure if this reply is intended for me, but did I explicitly approve stealing from the rich? No I did not. I just made the point that if someone thinks it's okay to steal wifi on the assumption that all broadband is unlimited, then you may actually be really disadvantaging someone as well as just breaking the law. All stealing is wrong, but stealing from those who can afford it is not as bad as stealing from those who can't, that's a basic social justice principle. Sorry if you disagree but we are all entitled to our opinions.

And as far as my baseball bat comments goes, I WAS FREAKIN' JOCKING DUDE I don't condone stealing fullstop, rich or poor, but to me violence is even more wrong than stealing.

carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-22 14:36
ok Max, just checking.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-04-22 14:44
btw, has anyone ever seen a hotspot identifying itself as "free public wifi" when scanning for hot spots?

I've seen it several times myself, including on my laptop and N95 and apparantly it is fake and you cannot connect to such hotspots

the best explanation I have seen for it so far is this blog
arien617
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-22 16:23
Here's some advice from The Real Hustle.

Watch Here
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-22 17:21

On 2007-04-22 14:36:30, carkitter wrote:
ok Max, just checking.

hehe, no worries buddy
Yoruichi
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830
PM
Posted: 2007-05-29 17:27
Regardless of the item/service stealing is wrong and unacceptable. also at the begining of this year Singapore began free wifi access islandwide in public areas just register with a provider and get an access code. its a 2 year deal to encourage IT growth / development.
Namo Amitabha
dude_se
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-05-29 23:12
i use my neighbours unsecured network and wpa network (they are connected so i kind of stole the wpa key), i only use it to download off rapidshare and sometimes randomly. i dont think they realise and if they did they wouldnt call the police about it. they arnt that gay.
i could steal their broadband details or even report them for illegal downloads because they have files downloaded off torrents in their shared folders if i really wanted to, but im also not that gay.
i respect their network, they respect me. thats the way i see it i also use unsecure networks when im out and about buy purely for a quick browse and nothing bad

dude_se
10 +'ve feedback's, 0 -'ves
---------------------------
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi