Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > How do I bebrand a Nokia N70?

Author How do I bebrand a Nokia N70?
SuicideMunkE
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-04-04 03:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi,

I'm looking to remove the awful Orange firmware from my N70 but am a bit of a Nokia noob.

Is there any software (like Davinci) that can do this for me using the standard cable? Thanks in advance.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-04 08:49
da vinci is focued on ly on se fones
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
SuicideMunkE
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-04-04 10:29
Thanks, i know ive used it in the passed. But is there equivalent software for Nokias?
floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-04-04 10:55
You want to Debrand your Nokia N70?, It's really easy fella, and it's totally free.

You need to download a little program called Nemesis Service Suite (NSS) from here;

http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/software.htm

This is a free download, and it lets you change the product code of your handset (similar to the CDA number on the SE phones).

NOTE: This is not changing the EMEI number, only the product code.

The Product code is the number that the phone uses to identify itself to the online update service to get the correct version of software. Your phone will have the Orange product code, and you need to change it to a generic Uk or Euro (or whatever one you want) in order to get the generic sortware.

If you look under the battery on the phone on the label you will see lots of numbers, such as the IMEI number and the model number and the product code. The product code will be a 7 digit number something like 0536418 (that is the Euro 1 generic N70 product code).

Once you download the NNS software, install it on a windows XP machine. Make sure before you install it you have the Nokia PC Suite software installed, and all the drivers for the phone, and that it works with your N70.

Once the NNS is installed, close the Nokia PC Suite, and open the NSS. Now plug in your N70 using the data cable that was supplied with the phone.

In the very topright hand corner of the NSS program there is a little icon, click it and the NSS will scan for your phone and it will find it.

Once it has found it you will see some icon in the main window, one of which is called 'Phone Info'

Click on this and in the right hand pane of the main window the top box has an option called product code, and beside it a check box that says 'enable'

In this box type the product code you want to change to, and check the enable box. now click the 'write' button at the bottom.

It only takes about 2 seconds and the code has been changed.

Now disconnect the phone and close the NSS.

Now run the online Nokia Update Service (very similar to the Sony Ericcson one), available to download from www.nokia.co.uk

Connect your phone again using the supplied cable and it'll now run and update your phone to the generic software.

Here are the product codes

N70 Generic Euro 0536418
N70 Generic Euro Music Edition 0536418 (this is the latest edition handset in all black with the better walkman player)

Hope that helps

David
SuicideMunkE
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-04-04 12:06
Thanks m8, you've just saved my N70 I was about to smash it up.

Cheers
silent
K800 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-06-26 01:38
big respect from me for this guide, thanks
silent
K800 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-06-26 13:23
didn't work, updater (nokia) states my phone software is up to date.

i have a N70 on 3, and i put those generic codes above in but it won't work. my firmware currently is V.2.0539.1.2

any sugestions?
'arold
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-04-23 18:35
I have an unlocked N95 which was on the Orange network and still has all the Orange links and applications which I would love to get rid off and turn it into a generic phone. I downloaded NSS and it found the phone, but when I tried to change the product code (0536062 - N95 generic Euro) nothing happened and it displayed 'Error' in the bottom left bar. Any ideas anyone?
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-24 01:09
did u mark "write" in the box? did the pc recognized your fone?
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi