Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > Setting up POP3 Yahoo E-mail on k800 3 Network

12  Next
Author Setting up POP3 Yahoo E-mail on k800 3 Network
steven1983
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-02-23 21:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi,

Would anybody please be able to advise how I can setup Yahoo mail on my k800 (3 Network)

I have created a Yahoo E-mail account and inputted the following details...

Connect Using "3 Locked"
(Other option is "New Account", selecting this gives "PS Data" or "CS Data". (I don't know what either of these mean and any of the setting further on with these options and so have left as "3 Locked" by default).

Connection Type "POP3"

Incoming Server "pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk"

Outgoing Server "smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk"

Advanced Settings...

Outgoing Username & Password (Have entered my Yahoo details)

Incoming Port "110" (Default)

Outgoing Port "587" (After reading info on Yahoo site for POP3)....(Default was 25)

Everytime I click send/receive it says "finding server" and after a while "unable to find server"

What have I done wrong, or what have I missed?

Many Thanks

Steve
spectre77
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-02-23 22:10
hey there steven,

I might be wrong on this, but i think it's not possible to set pop3 account for yahoo unless you're subscribed to the yahoo mail plus. It will be great if we can cause i would really like to have my yahoomail account on my phone too.

Regards.
Sony Ericsson P990i + 2GB MS Pro Duo + HBH-GV435 & Sony Ericsson K800i + 1GB M2
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-02-24 00:27
Hi Steven ,
Firstly you do not need to be subscribed to Yahoo mail plus service at all well not anymore anyway all your problems are due to the incorrect smtp server settings. follow the following instructions and all should be good hope this helps.
There are two things you need to do firstly you need to go to your Yahoo account on a PC and in the options activate the POP3 E-mail.
The incoming mail server is pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
The outgoing mail server needs to be smtp.(insert here whatever 3's mail server is).co.uk

This is why it is not working as it needs to be 3's smtp server not yahoo's.

Once you have done that all should work fine.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-02-23 23:31 ]
steven1983
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-02-24 14:02
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. VERY GRATEFUL!

I had enabled POP3 on my Yahoo account (and managed to setup POP3 which works with MS Outlook so POP3 will work with that.

The trouble is, I'm not sure 3's server is POP3?

There is a default e-mail account on the phone for 3 mail, which is set to IMAP4 under "connection type". The incoming server is imap.three.co.uk, outgoing is smtp.three.co.uk

If I send a mail to my 3-mail address, the phone picks it up straight away. I did set my Yahoo mail to forward to this address and it did work, but for some reason it won't now (didn't change any settings)

I would happily change to 3mail permanently, but this isn't a web based mail, so can only use with the phone!!

Reading 3's website, I downloaded the pdf instructions and entered what it said for setting up Yahoo Mail....it makes it sound the easiest thing to do in the world!! I've included a link to their instructions and the link to the POP Settings Yahoo gives.

http://popfwd.mail.yahoo.com/pf/PopConfig?.intl=uk&.addr=&.bm=

http://www.esato.com/board/img.php?id=66602[/img]

Based on your recommendation, I took out the Yahoo details for the outgoing server and entered smtp.three.co.uk, but still no luck.

ypoppyflower
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-14 16:06
Hi,

i have tried everything you guys have posted but it sitll does not work. I'm not quite sure what i am doing wrong.
I have enabled pop3 in my yahoo account.
put in all the correct data in my phone (with orange)
but sill no luck?

wondering if anyone can help, there must be something i am doing wrong.....
DAN55
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-07-02 14:28
hi,

any update? my yahoo/orange pop mail has just stopped - get pop server errors now :/

im using pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk and orange.net for smtp

ta
BBS
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-07-02 15:15
Why don't you guys contact your service provider? Usually you need to use the SMTP server name of the ISP you use to connect to the Internet via your phone but may work with other SMTP server name you have account that require SMTP authentication. For and example in my case with P990i, I have a POP3 mail account from one ISP, I use SMTP of another ISP with which I have another POP3 mail account while the mobile phone service provider is third company. Of course, it also works with SMTP of mobile phone service provider.

If Yahoo POP3 mail supports SMTP authentication then you should be able to use its SMTP server provided that you could select use SMTP authentication in your phone as in my case. I am sorry, I am not familiar with your phone. Hope it helps.

Just for your information - my mobile phone service provider has also opened POP3 email account with my phone no. as user name but I have been unable to set up it in my phone so far. As far as I understand I should set up for the WAP service of the mobile phone service provider before setting this email account. As it is not important I have not tried further. I am adding this information to emphasize the need of contacting your service provider.

[ This Message was edited by: BBS on 2007-07-02 14:22 ]
aatuif
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-02 16:23
my mobile operator doesn't have an smtp server, and i get incorrect user and pass thru outlook even for yahoo...
I think after all pop3 is for yahoo plus accounts only as given in the yahoo accounts page...
BBS
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-07-02 17:07

On 2007-07-02 16:23:00, aatuif wrote:
my mobile operator doesn't have an smtp server, and i get incorrect user and pass thru outlook even for yahoo...
I think after all pop3 is for yahoo plus accounts only as given in the yahoo accounts page...

Yes, you are right. Yahoo! on POP3 mail client says "This is a Yahoo! Mail Plus feature." Yahoo! stopped supporting POP3 mail client for free mail service long ago. Hotmail still supports POP3 for old users.
DAN55
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-07-02 19:01
oh? have they stopepd the free pop mail accounts then? :/

was working fine upto a week ago

ta

[ This Message was edited by: DAN55 on 2007-07-02 18:02 ]
mts
C702 Speed Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-03 02:33

Maybe is not a what you want, but try "Yahoo!Go 2.0" java app. Works perfect on K800 and other SE phones.
This java app included:

Yahoo mail (for me as gmail client useless)
One Search (fine)
Maps and navigation (very close to Google maps)
Flickr upload and browsing (Perfect)
RSS reader
Weather
etc. (Calendar, contacts)

Its free and is a must have app for you

Download and info here:
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go/tour

I hope that google release soon this kind of application (all in 1) for cell phones.
aatuif
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-03 03:50
yahoo go is not compatible with my phone...
truewor
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-07-03 07:00
have you enable the pop in your yahoo mail account?

set the security to ssl, i far that i know, yahoo using ssl as security protocol and is automaticly change the port too.

i hope its help
DAN55
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-07-03 14:33
correct truewor - yahoo just informed me of this - email now back

ta
aatuif
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-07-03 15:51
Quote:

On 2007-07-03 14:33:49, DAN55 wrote:
correct truewor - yahoo just informed me of this - email now back

ta

so you 've pop access in non yahoo mail plus account, pls confirm...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi