Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Today I played with a T68 with Java

Author Today I played with a T68 with Java
Merkur
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-03 02:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I would like to point out that we will probably not see a Java SW for T68i. It has reached the end of it's life. Most of the bugs have been sprayed and it's become a stable product.
However, it does make a good platform to develop new things. In CeBIT I played with a T68i with downloadable games on it. That makes no garantee that the T68i will ever have that.
The first time I saw Sync ML, EMS and MMS was in the Ericsson booth in 2000 CeBIT and they used spcecial Demo phones. Red R320's with the letters PROTOTYPE written on them in white letters. They were only using the phone as a platform for development or even demonstration!
I think SE will introduce us to the next T68i quite soon! I hope it will have an inbulit camera and at least 4096 display... or 65000 display to kick the competition good.
ppcrockar
P990
PM
Posted: 2002-12-03 11:37
I would prefer Mophun over Java actually. Mophun seems alot better..

I just downloaded th Mophun SDK, and the included examples with source are nice. It seems rather easy to develop games for it using C/C++
Coramoor
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-12-03 23:43
Sorry to take away your hopes..
But I sent an email to sony ericsson support center about mophun or java in the t68i...

this was their reply: (I copied the mail directly from my inbox)
(And yes.. the reply made me sad to...)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for contacting Sony Ericsson Customer Care Center.

The T68i will never support Java or the Mophun platform.

Best regards,
/Joen
Sony Ericsson Customer Care Center

Please contact us again if we can be of further assistance and also visit our
website http://www.SonyEricsson.com for more information and support on our
products.
mailto:Questions.se@support.sonyericsson.com,
Questions.no@support.sonyericsson.com, Questions.dk@support.sonyericsson.com or
Questions.fi@support.sonyericsson.com

Question:
Subject: T68i
Product: T68i

Opinion: Is there a possibility of you guys ever adding Java or mophun support
to the t68i in a future upgrade?
First Name: Audun
Last Name: Skilbrei
Phone Number: +4748118194
City/ Region: Stord/Hordaland

------------------------------------------------------------------

This should end this dicussion.. and if you don't (want to) believe me(quite understandable). You can send a mail yourself. The mail address is there.

[ This Message was edited by: Coramoor on 2002-12-03 22:44 ]
Fahed_2000
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-03 23:58
it could be a special version of the t68
Good Shit, Bad Shit, It's all Shit
jb
T65 blue
PM
Posted: 2002-12-04 01:59
Quote:

On 2002-12-03 11:37, ppcrockar wrote:
I would prefer Mophun over Java actually. Mophun seems alot better..

I fully agree.
jb
T65 blue
PM
Posted: 2002-12-04 02:01
Quote:

On 2002-12-03 23:43, Coramoor wrote:
Sorry to take away your hopes..
But I sent an email to sony ericsson support center about mophun or java in the t68i...

That has more to do with product positioning in the market than technical problems. It would be "bad" if T68 would compete with T300.
nickhills
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 03:10
guys, (and girls)

I have a friend (of a friend) who works for the ericsson part of (SE) mainly working on power transmission, and speech encoding, as opposed to all the fancy bits like games. Well he had to pop over to ericsson europe HQ, and met some of the guys writing the phone software. It just so happened that he had a T68, and one of the guys offered to update the firmware for him. There were however consequences. All of the original phone images were lost, and he was only able to store 6 of his own pictures, and most of the default ringtones dissappered too, however what he did gain was a JAVA based app for measuring signal strength, and reporting cell info. A bit like the net monitor option on a nokia (oops, sorry i swore) This is possibly the 'debug' option that the thread starter was talking about.

But don't get excited, as i have said, he had to sacrifice most of his phone memory to get the thing on there in the first place, and eventually got bored of it (it was also dog-slow)and had the phone (re)flashed to t68i, thus recovering his 'lost' phone memory.

so...to be honest, i think you can rule out the possibility of a firware upgrade to include java support, the phone just cant support it (viably),when you think of the libraries the phone would need to store for application development to become widespread among the developer community, and besides, its hardly a fast processor in the handset anyway, and seeing as j code is compiled at run time you'd probably need to stick a itanium in you phone to get it running smoothly

sorry guys, but it was nice while it lasted
ppcrockar
P990
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 12:03
IMHO Mophun is a much more interesting alternative than Java. Mophun seems far superior when it comes to games.
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 12:50
Quote:
...JAVA based app for measuring signal strength, and reporting cell info...

If there was such an app, then there is no way it was written in Java. J2ME MIDP (which is what is being integrated into mobile phones) does not have access to things like signal strength or cell info. It is very limited when it comes to interaction with the rest of the phone. Basically, it can only draw something on the screen and register when a user presses something on the keyboard.

Knut.G.
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-07 18:36
Well, they have access to a bit more, I mean, they would have to have access to SOME core functions for email java apps and such to work.

-Knut
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-08 11:10

They can use TCP/IP connections, but that's about all of it.
Knut.G.
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-08 13:21
Nope, I just read up on the J2ME MIDP spec, and it clearly states that Mobile phone manufacturers can specify "secure" api's, and if the Java app is recognized as "trusted", it can be run in a "trusted sandbox", with access to those critical API's, whereas unsigned/untrusted java apps are run in a different sandbox, with only access to basic API's. It's all up to the manufacturers.

This makes sense too, I mean how big is Java going to get if it cannot even save something. If you want info, read up on the specs on Suns site. The section in the PDF file is "Security for MIDP Applications".

-Knut

PS. The basic Java usage includes access to tone/melody speakers as well, not just tcp/ip. Probably more as well, but I haven't looked that hard.

[ This Message was edited by: Knut.G. on 2002-12-08 12:55 ]
faca
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-12-08 14:06

MIDP 1.0 does not have access to tone/melody speakers. Nor does it have access to any 'critical API', whatever that is. And it certainly does not have access to signal strength and cell info.

A device manufacturer can extend the MIDP API with its own extension APIs, but those Java apps which use it will then only run on that particular device. Most manufacturers (like Siemens and Nokia) extended the API to provide some basic sound support and better games support. In some devices there is an extended Java API to provide sending/receiving of SMS mesages (mostly for multiplayer games). But all of this is not part of the MIDP 1.0 standard. I don't know about other SE devices with Java, but P800 supports MIDP 1.0 with no extensions, so just the basic stuff (it also supports PersonalJava, which is more powerful than MIDP but still it does not have access to signal strength/cell info and things like that). And anyway, extending the API to support signal strength and cell info would be pretty stupid as I don't really see any need for that in games and simple apps.
Knut.G.
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-12-08 14:47
Guess we misunderstood eachother, I was talking about the new MIDP 2.0 standard, not the old one. The new 2.0 specifies that it MUST have access to tone creation and such.

But even so, saying that 1.0 CANNOT have access to these things is a bit off, because its up to each phone manufacturer if they want to extend the API's or not. It is not a shortcoming of JAVA itself, its more a case of how it is implemented.

You can compare it to the Symbian OS. You can choose not to implement several things, and make it fit in a smaller working enviroment(ie 7650) or you can make use of about all the features the OS has to offer (P800 for example). Its not excactly the same, but in both cases, the manufacturer has to create support for the things they add thru UI/API creation or modifying.

With critical API's, I meant stuff like looking up the address book. Not the best wording for it, but I think you understand.

-Knut
scorpion87
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-20 12:11
Excused my English but are Italian, I have not understood if a version must exit software of the t68i with the functions java? Thanks. Hello. It compliments for the situated one!!!!!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi