Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Nuclear, climate perils push Doomsday Clock ahead

123  Next
Author Nuclear, climate perils push Doomsday Clock ahead
lastikcizme
T230
PM
Posted: 2007-01-18 13:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Read it here

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The scientists who mind the Doomsday Clock moved it two minutes closer to midnight on Wednesday -- symbolizing the annihilation of civilization and adding the perils of global warming for the first time.

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, which created the Doomsday Clock in 1947 to warn the world of the dangers of nuclear weapons, advanced the clock to five minutes until midnight. It was the first adjustment of the clock since 2002.

Congratulations all arms dealers and warmongers, what'll they do with the money they got once the world is left a waste of nuclear fire and dust.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-01-18 16:09
Well if nothing comes of the latest round of talks with N Korea then I can foresee a hefty war starting. The US has already moved its Stealth bombers into position.
leeboy13
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-01-18 16:14
Seriously goldenface? whered you hear that too?

i hope dooms day isnt upon us, i really wanted to go out in a better mood
living the dream!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-01-18 16:19
@leeboy13

and some are saying N Korea is preparing to test another nuke.

source

North Korea Condemns Deployment of U.S. Stealths
NewsMax.com Wires
Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2007

SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea on Saturday condemned the deployment of U.S. stealth fighters in South Korea as an act of aggression aimed at launching war against the communist country.

A squadron of F-117A Nighthawk warplanes and some 300 airmen from Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico arrived in South Korea earlier this week for routine training. The deployment typically lasts four months.

It is the fourth time such stealth fighters have been sent to South Korea since 2003, the U.S. military said.

The U.S. deployment of the stealth aircraft, which are designed to avoid detection by radar, is "aimed at putting its scenario for a war against (North Korea) into practice," the North's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland said Saturday in a statement.

The United States is "driving the situation to the brink of war through their reckless arms buildup and military provocations," the committee said in the statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.

North Korea commonly issues such bellicose statements, accusing the U.S. of planning to attack the communist regime. Washington denies of any intention to invade the North.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-01-18 15:21 ]
Xugaa
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-18 20:16
^ No, North Korea's nutty "God" has said that he will be testing another nuclear weapon.
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-01-18 20:41
WW3 here we come!

bring it on!

fatreg
joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2007-01-18 20:44
Cant ww3 wait till at least after the summer! I'm getting married soon, and don't want to be called up for duty during my honeymoon!
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-01-18 23:22
Shame really. I find it funny how governments don't do anything to reverse what we've done. Global warming is pretty serious, on top of the other things likes nuclear wars.

Ironically, it would be cheaper in the long term to reverse global warming than to hold back due to economical losses caused by cutting back on greenhouse gas production.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2007-01-19 00:00
@lastic - As I've seen the report in CNN yesterday . . . the clock was adjusted to - 5 minutes. The closest the clock was adjust was in 1953, when it was at the peak of the HEAT between US and USSR with their NUKES . . the time was set at 2 minutes to midnight. [addsig]
Johnex
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-19 07:13
*goes to the nearest amunation to stock up*
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-19 07:44
I don't think NC is a real thread they are calling for attention. Bush refused to talk to them. They are willing.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-19 20:43
THis guy has just the small man syndrom.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-19 23:50
I think you'll find North Korea is all talk just like Saddam.
No country has a conventional army which can take on the might of the US. China knows this that's why they've been stealing US military secrets for years.

The only military tactic that can work effectively against the US is Guerilla Terrorism because it is low-tech, uses suicide tactics and break all the rules of war such as basic ones like wearing uniforms.

The Down Side of geurilla warfare is that you can only do it well on your own territory, ie: you have to be occupied by the US. North Korea won't be able to cope with that. Kim Jong Il (whatever his name is) will end up like Saddam if that happens.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2007-01-20 00:14
@car - Yeah I agree mate Kim Jong Ill is just BUYING time here . . . just like what Saddam did before IRAQ was invaded . . . I am very certain that the Axis-Of-Evil countries will be INVADED by the US . . . sooner or later. Pyangyang and Tehran will be . . . . next ! [addsig]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-20 02:05
No, contrary to popular belief, the US doesn't start wars for fun... It only acts when a line has been crossed, and as in Iraq 2003, 1991, Vietnam, Korea in the 50's, WW2, etc, it was in coalition with other counties.

What happens will depend on North Korea and Iran respectively.
But it's obvious the US is getting ready. After 9/11, they'd be silly not to be prepared.

I think the doomsday clock thing is just leftist scaremongering designed to cause anxiety in the public at large. Global warming, while a real threat, is manageable and not as dire as some predict.

And we're still a long way from WW3.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi