Forum > Regional > Americas > ciphering

12  Next
Author ciphering
thanatos808
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-11-11 10:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
i was making a call and lost tract of it, wasn't really paying attention, i was put on hold, and then i guess the call got disconnected, and gave me the busy signal sound, and then my phone told me "ciphering on" and i tried it again "ciphering off" i use a t68i.... what is ciphering?? first i ever heard of such thing....
today is yesterday's tomorrow
bingo
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-11-11 14:32
I think it's a way of making a line more secure, to prevent eavesdropping and "cloning" that used to be common on analogue networks.

thanatos808
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-11-11 15:19
now how do i turn it off or on manually?
today is yesterday's tomorrow
gshanouda
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-11-11 19:11
I haven't seen anything like that yet, if someone know how to turn it on or off please let us know....
thanks...!
***Proud Owner of t68m with t68i upgraded software, and EPoX Dongle
**Proud Owner of and only ...!
*you can do anything with computers....!
cykoman
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-11-11 19:51
I have the same problem. I am using T-mobil in Indiana, US. It usually happens in areas of low reception.
lemonflav
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-11-18 06:21
I have the same problem with At&t in the north suburbs of Chicago. I finally got real pissed, and called customer service to let them know how shitty their service was. The guy on the phone told me that the cyphering is all part of a security program that is used to keep our calls private. When your signal drops real low, the cyphering turns off and then in my case I get a dropped call. All my friends on At&t complain about this shit, and I'm ready to say "fuck GSM!" and just get a Nextel!!
peanotation
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-18 07:27
i use a t68i with AT&T in san diego, CA

i saw this cyphering thing turn on once, and i had borderline one bar of reception, i heard a beep, looked at the display, and it said "cyphering off" and i looked at the reception, and i had full bars, but they were all red.
apparently, cyphering turns off when you get to three bars or less on the reception meter. whenever i have 4 or 5 (max) it's green, and the calls sound crystal. i guess to try to improve an already shitty reception, when the phone reaches below 3 on the meter, it turns off cyphering to allow for more boost with reception but sacrificing your security of the call.

but then again, who the hell knows
gshanouda
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-11-18 19:02
I haven't seen it in my phone yet...
***Proud Owner of t68m with t68i upgraded software, and EPoX Dongle
**Proud Owner of and only ...!
*you can do anything with computers....!
arus
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-11-18 19:23
Nor me.

This post was posted from a T68i

amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-24 08:24
Never even heard of it!

lemonflav> do yourself a favor and stay away from Nextel.
shawnmccall9
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-11-24 14:56
ATT's GSM coverage blows, I tried it...T-Mobile is much better is Chicagoland. BTW, R520 works a lot better here in the states than a T68 because of A) poor provider infrastrucutre B) poor recpetion on t68. R520 at least can make the most of what we have
jaimingandhi
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-25 19:02
i have same problem too
highrez
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2003-01-03 06:48
I agree with the previous poster - ITS NOT GSM, its your carrier (AT&T). I originally had AT&T, and their service sucked. I was working at a mobile phone software company (a large one) at the time and had access to a couple of other sims. I took a road trip with a cingular, att, and t-mobile sim. I wasn't the least bit surprised to find out att had the least coverage of all the carriers.

Cingular had the best coverage, but only because cingular allows you to roam onto ATTs network. T-Mobile however, had the best network. I was out in the middle of nowhere downloading backgrounds over GPRS when I finally decided T-Mobile was the company for me. I informed ATT I would not pay for service that was unusable - got a T-Mobile sim and have not looked back!

Something else that made me mad about AT&T was their international roaming. Its pitiful in comparison with T-Mobile. I was going to a country AT&T did not have roaming agreements in, so I called customer care. I was going to try to get the NCK from them (i knew it was a fat chance, but on the basis they did not have romaing in the country I was going to it almost seemed reasonable considering I signed a service agreement). Not only did they flat out refuse to remove the lock, they told me that at the end of my service agreement (12mos) they still would not remove it.

NEEDLESS TO SAY AT&T SUCKS. If you get AT&T service don't expect to be able to use the full potential of your phone, cause it won't happen. Cingular and T-Mobile will provide a much better experience.

And last point if you're still not convinced they suck: They have a roaming agreement with cingular (mentioned previously) that allows cingular customers to roam onto their network but not the other way around. Isn't this messed up when they obviously have a lesser network? So they're collecting the reciprocal comp from cingular but won't shell out the bucks to let you have better service. They're cheap and evil - oh, and did I mention their network sucks?

I'm done now.
clifford_lee
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-09-09 17:26
I've found out that the chirping sound is part of the "notify" found in the insert sound effect in text messages. I pluged my T-300 into an amplyfier and when i went to write new>Options>insert item>Sound effect and played notify, the chirping sound was being played in the amplyfier. you can hear the various tunes with this link>at the sound effect menu with the first, chimes high, followed by chimes low, ding, ta-da, notify(the chirping snd) Drums, Claps, fanfare, chord high and finally chord low.
govigov
K500
PM
Posted: 2004-09-09 17:54
Dont know what you are talking bout lee. I think ciphering comes when two service providers share the same network. They do that to keep costs down in low density areas. Ciphering codes the bandwidth so that it may not interfere with the other service providers.

This message was posted from a T230

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi