Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > apple iphone unveiled!

Previous  123 ... 171819
Author apple iphone unveiled!
pinolo77
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-25 09:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
After all comments posted here one thing is for sure:

- Apple entered a new market and it shakes all players.

The question whether Apple is going to be successfull and/or whether other manufacturers get the message and improve their phones in the areas in which Apple's iPhone is really revolutionary has yet to be answered.

In my opinion iPhone is indeed very interesting/revolutionary in SOME regards, but in other aspects it simply doesn't deliever (camera, 3G, third party apps, and dome others).
Of course all these consideration are based on ASSUMPTIONS and not on first hand experience.

What I wanted to say is that I am still very disappointed with SonyEricsson. Sony is a major manufacturer in electronics, and owns half of the entertainment industry, and yet they didn't manage to port a lot of tech and innovation to the SonyEricsson joint venture.

Why... WHY isn't there a real iTunes alternative from Sony??? Don't they have enough content??
Look at it that way... Apple has been the first to creat an "ecosystem" in which all devices can share, use and interact with the provided content. Apple created the ecosystem one little tiny step at the time (Mac, iPod, iTunes, AirportExpress, AppleTV and iPhone).

Sony had this ecosystem for what.... 20 YEARS??!!
And they never saw the potential of it, and still don't quite grasp it. They are huge, produce everything from computers, tv, stereo, walkman, mobile phones, blu-ray, PLAYSTATION, movies, music.

They have it all...

But it is like a multi-headed monster...

WHY?
T18s>T68(i)>T610>K700>K750i>K800i>?
johnmcl7
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-01-27 03:08
The reason for no itunes alternative from Sony is fairly obvious - Sony have failed at bringing their own mp3 players to the market so without that control they have no Itunes alternative.

These days Apple is very much were Sony used to be - people will buy a device with the Apple badge without knowing anything else about the product or possible alternatives. That's no longer the case with Sony and they definitely seem to be suffering because of that.

John
tupac1
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-02-04 12:21
hope apple releases a low end phone of the iphone. love the way they integrated the 3.5 mm slot on the port. shows they ain't singy on people buying different earphones. its a true music phone.

[ This Message was edited by: tupac1 on 2007-02-04 11:22 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-02-04 15:27
Quote:

On 2007-01-27 03:08:29, johnmcl7 wrote:
The reason for no itunes alternative from Sony is fairly obvious - Sony have failed at bringing their own mp3 players to the market so without that control they have no Itunes alternative.

These days Apple is very much were Sony used to be - people will buy a device with the Apple badge without knowing anything else about the product or possible alternatives. That's no longer the case with Sony and they definitely seem to be suffering because of that.

John

Sony do not have an itunes because the Music Industry is hell bent on preventing digital audio from becoming commonplace on anything but physical media (aka CD's). This is not just Sony but the recording industry as a whole.

This has nothing to do with SE (which is owned by Ericsson as well as Sony, SE is not just an arm of Sony), infact, SE have been known to be not happy at all with Sony's proprietary limitations.

Indeed, with the introduction of mp3 players on SE mobiles, Sony has had to allow SE to move away from ATRAC. As a result Sony mp3 players are now also proper mp3 players (they used to only support atrac). So while Sony becomes less proprietary, Apple continues to try and lock it's customer's into the ipod by using the itunes store to push drm music that only the ipod can play.

So really, Sony are the ones who have listened to public concern, and have removed a level of drm from their audio devices. I doubt we'll see Apple do the same with the ipod.

Sony still have the option of using atrac for drm content. Personally, I would rather buy songs on CD, that can be easily (and legally in australia now) format shifted to other mediums, than buy a song online, that can only play on my ipod unless I break the licence agreement with Apple that says I can't format shift the song?

Quote:

iTunes can change the your rights to the music after you downloaded it. This is a violation of basic Principles of consumer contract law. Consumers who wants to play they're music on a non-iPod player must first remove the copy protection, this removal for legitimate private use is however stopped buy iTunes DRM technology and Terms of Use. iTunes stopping this removal for legitimate private use like playing the music on a non-iPod mp3 player is obviously in violation of the Copyright Act, says Waterhouse.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/25/norwegian_ombudsman_.html

In Australia, the law actually states that it is legal to format shift (copy to another medium) music you have legally purchased, providing none of the copies are used concurrently, or distributed separately. Therefore the itunes licence could be interpreted as illegal in Australian courts (I hope someone tests it).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 171819
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic