Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 55 565758  Next
Author Official W880-W888 discussion
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-12-13 10:25
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The Gold version is an exclusive for Vodafone. If you dont have Vodafone then you cant have a gold version.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-12-13 11:01
JC, there are two golds: Voda's Havanna gold, and now Classic Gold......

http://www.sonyericsson.com/c[....]ecifications/w880i?cc=gb&lc=en

p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
bearcub24
W890 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-12-16 19:49
Yea not seen the classic gold version but believe the Havana gold one is an exclusive to Vodafone, not 100% sure but I don't think its got the soft touch finish on the back either.
Raja
W980
PM
Posted: 2007-12-17 03:36
Are themes for this phone slightly different to the other 320x240 SE phones?
I remember reading somewhere that not all themes on the W880i work properly. Is this so?
Thanks
janakson
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-02-02 19:35
Hey guys, I'm really new to all this and I have a W880i.
Yesterday I did a Master Reset - I just wanted to clear out the phone and I've done it many times on my W800 and W810 so I didnt think of it as a big deal.

After the Master Reset the phone turned on so I left it overnight, I turned it on this morning, pressing the 'c' button and it does the normal vibrate thing and displays the Sony Ericsson and then the screen flashes - from what I've read its an EROM problem but what do I do to fix it?

I know that the following
W880i
CID52 RED (EROM)
CID52 RED (OTP)
CDA102719/78

tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-02-02 21:41
you're missing an important one: the firmware version

get to website and download SEUS, then try to upgrade its firmware version and see if it solves your problem. in case you still have the problem.....come back
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
janakson
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-02-03 11:29
It told me i had the latest version - and i clicked update again but the phone does the same thing.

I know that it is Orange branded
leibniz
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-03-11 18:43
@janakson - it's been over a month since that last post. Did you get your problem sorted out? Sorry I can't be of much help - it's been a while since i Seus'ed my phone, and then it was a different phone. I can't remember if there was a way to "force" the same firmware onto your phone that is already there, or not.

In other news, has anyone noticed that the battery life for the w880i is terrible? I found this article ( http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-w880-en.shtml ) and although it seems to be thorough, they claim "the handset lasted about 3 days at 1 hour of calls, with about 30 minutes of Bluetooth usage, and 2 hours of music playback a day".

According to SE detailed specs page, this little BST-33, 950mAh Li-Polymer battery is supposed to make that phone last about 425 hours on standby.

I accept that the length of life on a charge will vary depending on the signal strength, features used, etc. etc. but this phone I have isn't even in the ball park.

Normal usage for me is minimal. Max 5 min./day talk, no music, no BT or other service usage. Any I've been consistently getting less than two days. I am as close to standby usage as one can get without actually physically losing the phone - and I'm getting about 1/10th of what SE claims.

I also have an m600i (same battery) and I've been watching this battery thing for the last month. I have three different batteries. I've tried all of them in both my w880i and my m600i. Considerably shorter battery time on the w880i.

After playing with phone settings, I have found that I can go from about two days on standby to about three days, if I set the default theme and remove the wallpaper.

Another thing I've noticed is that the AC adapter doesn't work for the w880i. All three of my SE AC adapter work fine for my k750i and my m600i, but not the w880i. Zero. Just doesn't work. However, the USB cable adapter does work, and it charges the phone, albeit slowly.

So maybe I've just got a less than 100% built phone, I don't know. I do spend a lot of time near my computer, so it's not a big deal keeping it charged, but when I went away for the weekend, it was a real pain.

Has anyone else with a w880i noticed this heavy battery usage?

On another note - I've also noticed that the earbuds that come with the w880i are imo, much poorer quality sound, than are the ones that came with my k750i for example. So much so, that I don't use these little ones that do fit better in my ears. I'll prefer a little annoyance (don't stay in as well) for the much better quality .

After all that - don't get me wrong. I love the w880i. I suppose that with such a fabulous phone, expectation is pretty high.

The phone (well, MY w880i) isn't flawless, but it's still pretty damn good.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone on the battery issue. Anyone have any tricks for longer battery life? Any services that are particularly heavy on the battery - nay the obvious ones - music player, BT, etc.

Greeting from Western Canada.

btw - firmware up2date.
R1JC002
EROM R3A016
LCD software version 200611136
Cam 3.3
Java JP-7.3

Phone came from Hong Kong - has ..CHINA_AI... ub the firmware version string. Maybe that's the difference, IDK.

[ This Message was edited by: leibniz on 2008-03-11 17:56 ]
Kimi
Sony Xperia V
PM
Posted: 2008-03-11 18:50
I had no trouble using the W880 for about 3 or 4 days on one charge at moderate usage. But be aware: as soon as you allow the handset to watch for UMTS (3G) networks, the battery will drain considerably faster. If you are in an area with weak or no 3G coverage at all then it get's even worse, because the phone desparately is looking for the best signal.

So have you switched off 3G in the network settings? And for Bluetooth usage: not using Bluetooth means actually switching it off in the settings or via the shortcut menu. If you leave it on but just do not use it it will eat up the battery as well.

If you know all this and tried everything - I suppose something is wrong with the phone.
leibniz
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-03-11 19:01
Thanks for the post kimi - excellent point.

I assume that settings > Connectivity > Mobile networks > GSM3G networks > setting "GSM only" is the actual deactivation of searching and using 3G networks ?

It was in fact set for searching/using 3G networks, so this may just be what's draining my battery.

I've just set GSM only - so I'll see how long the battery lasts now.

I use almost no internet (except for email) so since I dont' browse, I really don't care much about 3G.

THANKS for pointing that out....

Have an excellent day.

Regards,
Bill
T68i T616 K750i Nokia-E60 M600i W880i G900 CECT P168+ iFone X1 Nex Razor
leibniz
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-03-13 23:57
Well I'm back with battery results.

Setting GSM/3g to "GSM only" did help make the battery last longer. Not a lot, but certainly it was noticable. Still, 3 days of life on more or less standby isn't very good, especially since the claim is so much better than that,

The other substantial problem over here is that the AC adapter doesn't work on the phone. I've got 3 recent SE phones, and 3 identical AC adapters. All adapters work fine in my k750i and my m600i. The w880i however, not so much. I think I can rule out the adapter itself.

Anyone know if there are any hidden on/off settings to enable/disable this option? I've never heard of that before, but I ask because I did find a setting to disable that power/connection port when USB is attached.

The manual says that there should be a red light behind the C buttion, and that it may take up to 30 minutes for the battery charging icon to display, while charging.

I snapped the adapter in tight and proper and plugged it in and waited over one hour. Nada.

There's either a hidden setting to disable this, or else I have a technical fault with the phone. I hope it's the former, and someone can shed some light on this problem. That would be the best outcome here.

Anyone?

Thanks.
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-14 04:18
it sounds like you may have a hardware problem. maybe the phone's connection socket is loose or something. i'd just take it to a service center to have it checked if i were you.
leibniz
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-03-14 21:21
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I may try and re-flash the same firmware, in case that has anything to do with it. Or a full reset.

I dunno. I'm glad I have lots of phones, because I have yet to find the perfect one.

T68i T616 K750i Nokia-E60 M600i W880i G900 CECT P168+ iFone X1 Nex Razor
imazz
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-14 21:36
I totally agree about the W880i and battery life. I get 2 days max. I use it for texting and surfing mainly but the majority of the time it is in standby. The walkman (through speakers in my case) or playing games can drain the battery in no time.

When I plug my AC adapter in, it always recognises that it is plugged in, but it does not always charge. I have more success turning the phone off and charging it like that (non-optimised charging!).

If you are only charging yours via USB then you are never 100% charging it I guess.
afbug
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-07 23:36
I have a problem with W880. I've installed some games but it seems like my M2 card or phone have some problems or corrupted the files. Now the games can't be remove from the card/phone even though I've formatted the card and did a master reset on the phone. The files are not there but the game 'title' still appears and when I try to delete it, it says 'operation failed.'

Will a software update solve this problem? If my card is trashed, its alright but I hope my phone can be salvaged.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 55 565758  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic