Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > how to use FAR manager

Author how to use FAR manager
arun_diablo
K700
PM
Posted: 2006-12-27 22:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hi.
i want to flash and update my frimware for k700i using FAR Manager, can any one guide me how to do that. How can i know that my phone files have been detected in Far manager, any tips???

plz explain about MAIN and FS Files and what is set tool,I am new to to this can any one help me plz....................
strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2006-12-28 15:23
There are many topics about this here on this forum, (I'm sure you'll find one if you search a little, but it's not a problem for me to explain again . So here is detailed guide:

FAR Manager is program that allows you to access the phone's filesystem where all the system phone files are stored. It is a piece of memory (hidden/invisible for the "normal" users) where are stored all factory files, profiles, settings, camera/sound drivers, menu styles/layouts, startup/shutdown screens that the phone need to work properly. So to work with FAR manager you need to download the SEFP Plugin for FAR Manager. Actually FAR is nothing without the plugin. It is the "tool" which breaks into the phone filesystem and allow you to modify it. Once you install FAR it's easy to manage with it, but DO NOT DO ANYTHING what you are not sure about, because if you make mistake with FAR, you can harm your phone and make it unusable/dead or etc... You need to install the USB Flash Drivers for your phone. The main USB Flash Driver file is called EPIUSB.sys. You can install the Flash Drivers, by turning your phone OFF. Then remove the battery for some time. Remove the SIM Card and then re-insert the battery. Now connect your phone to the PC (with the USB Cable) holding the "C" button (on the phone) pressed down all the time. The "New Hardware Installation Wizard" will recognize the phone as "Flash Device". When you are asked for drivers, just click "browse" or etc... and navigate to your EPIUSB.sys file. When you install the drivers, restart your PC. Now install FAR Manager, and the SEFP Plugin (by copying the SEFP folder in this location: C:Program FilesFARPlugins). Restart the PC again. Now you are ready to connect your phone with FAR. When FAR opens, manage to the "Plugin Commands" option (I'm not sure where exactly it is, but I'm sure you'll find it through the FAR Menus) . Now click SEFP. Once you opened the SEFP Plugin windows you need to select your COM port. It is the port where the cable is attached on your computer (or installed like COM port). You can know the right port, if you go to Device Manager, and see which COM port is the USB Cable. And select that in FAR. The next thing is the Connection speed. You should select the highest possible to select there. And the phone model at last step. You select your phone model (don't select any other model that is similar to your, select your EXACT model). Some plugins have support for more than one phone and provide that as ONE SELECTION. So select that one which contains your exact model. At last you can press "Enter the Matrix" button.
Now you'll be asked to connect your phone to the computer. Do the same as the Flash Drivers installation (remove the SIM Card, and plug the phone to the PC holding down the "C" button on the phone). FAR will start reading your phone files and executing the loaders, so be patient and do not release the "C" button. Once you are successfully connected with FAR you should see 2 folders: FS and FLASH. Here, if you are changing firmware on your phone, updating, flashing or applying patches, enter the FLASH folder. If you plan to change some predefined phone file like: camera driver, sound driver, menu icons or etc... select the FS folder.
Once you entered FLASH folder you need to manage to your flashing files (firmware or etc... you need to apply), with the right side of the FAR Manager (as it has 2 sides, so you can access 2 locations at the same time). Navigate to your new firmware file image and click it, and click Copy. On the Copy dialog, you should be asked for the type of flashing your phone. You just select the "Flash BABE (or something like that)", and press Copy in the dialog. Wait until your phone is being flashed. When flashing is done successful you need to shut down the CSFS loader to save the changed you made to your phone. To do that, click the two dots on the file manager (the one that are used to go back in the folders) until you are asked: "Do you really want to shutdown the CSFS Loader?". Click YES there and unplug the phone from the cable. Remove the battery for 3-5 minutes and turn your phone on again to see the results of your flashing. That's about FAR Manager and it's usage. SETool (as you asked what is it), it is a pack of tools, stored in one program for Flashing, Repairing, patching and etc... your phone. It is a little easier to work with, but I still prefer FAR . SETool is more used if you kill your phone, to repair it.

Here are some links where the needed files can be downloaded:

Almost all firmwares, patches, drivers and programs you can download from here: http://www.topsony.com.

Another FAR Manager guide (the official one): http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=123260

I hope this helped you, and anyone who readed it

WARNING: EVERYTHING YOU DO WITH YOUR PHONE, IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I OR ANYONE ELSE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE ABOUT IT. ADVANCED MODDING YOUR PHONE WITH FAR OR ANY OTHER 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE BREAKS YOUR WARRANTY AND YOU LOSE IT. SO ONCE YOU CONNECTED WITH FAR YOUR WARRANTY IS OVER.

Update: A little explaining about the MAIN and FS files.

- MAIN is called the language pack of the phone. It contains all languages and language supports that your phone needs. So before installing one be careful which one you sellect, because if you select the wrong one, you won't be able to select the language you want . MAIN image needs to be installed together wirh the FS to work properly!

- FS is the FileSystem . It is the phone's firmware/software that conatains all the files needed for the phone to work. It contains that "FS" folder seen in FAR. There are all certificates, profiles, drivers and etc... So be VERY Careful when downloading this, because flashing to wrong firmware could make your phone dead again .

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: strizlow800 on 2006-12-28 14:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: strizlow800 on 2006-12-28 16:27 ]
tdaliviu
K700
PM
Posted: 2007-01-05 14:56
Hi strizlow800,

I hope You really understand what the guy is asking you about... This is about K700i, not about W800i! I guess the procedure is different with a K700i, because I doubt you can install the "flash" driver with a K700i.

Me personally, I've got a K700i and a DSS-20 and STILL am not able to connect via SEFP...

Any suggestions?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-29 15:40
you can , but you need service cable (not just dss-25) - it's a bit late now, dss-25 is old.
aniketk
W700
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 16:00
hey guys just check this out

http://denilsonsa.selfip.org/~denilson/k750i_cid49/using_far.html

best tutorial ever !!!!!
NWA
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-07-19 07:40
hey, im using vista and everytime i try to connect holding C it doesnt work, it comes up with found new hardware and it tres to install then it fails, i tried the holding "2,5" method
please help me!
strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-07-19 08:12
Try installing your driver using the device manager. Right click on the device, and click update driver
Sony Ericsson software/hardware support!

Phone Flashing Tutorial (DB2020 CID49/51/52)
NWA
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-07-19 19:43
it keeps on trying to update the driver but ends up finding nothing, then the phone turns back on to file transfer
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi