12  Next
Author Sony Ericsson Focuses on Mobile TV
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-12-07 14:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson Focuses on Mobile TV

The Swedish-Japanese combination already used a highly succesful strategy in her current products. By using the well known brandnames Sony, under which the "Walkman" for the Walkman-phone series, and the "Cybershot" for the camera phones, Sony Ericsson knows how to reach the right target group. The famous brandnames seem to make the product functionalities immdediately clear to the consumer.

Sony Ericsson is proceeding this trategy in the future by using other brandnames of the Japanese Sony. According to Per Nordlof, director Product Strategies of Ericsson, 2007 will become the year of mobile television. Nordlof expects one third of all mobile phone users will have experience in watching mobile television by the middle of 2008.

To make sure that Sony Ericsson leads the market at this moment, the company already invests a lot in this matter. Just as the Walkman series for MP3 phones and the Cybershot series for camera phones, Sony Ericsson will announce their first Bravia phone for the European market. With the brand name "Bravia", Sony Ericsson aims for the mobile TV market, with her crystal-clear LCD TFT displays that are developed by LG-Philips momentarilly.

The first Bravia device recently saw daylight in Japan. The Sony Ericsson W44S, which will only be available for Japan for now, has a QVGA display that can be turned to different positions. Next to the crystalclear "Bravia" display, the device is equipped with 115 MB internal memory and it has a 3.2 megapixel camera.

Sony Ericsson insiders notified Mobile Phone Helpdesk that the first Bravia phones for the European market will probably be introduced at the 3GSM Congress in Barcelona. The product sales will go along with the rollout of DVB-H (Digital Video Broadcasting - Handheld) networks in Europe. This enables to watch crystal-clear television material on the mobile phone.

Per Nordlof, director product strategies of Sony Ericsson, declared at a private press meeting, that Sony Ericsson will also aim for the mobile television market with her new devices. Sony Ericsson combines forces of both companies, the television techniques of Sony, along with Ericsson's mobile television networks. In this way, the ideal combination in device could come forward in Sony Ericsson's, one of a high streaming quality that can offer the user with realtime video.

Furthermore, what seems to be a big pointer for the future next to watching mobile television, is the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA). This platform ensures everyone with a compatible mobile phone, can share their video-files with other users of the platform. So, everyone can watch each others videofiles. Sony Ericsson is working hard to realize this platform on time, it should come to the market halfway 2007.

I think the last paragraph is very interesting - being able to watch each others video files. That is simply amazing. Whats more, it will be on the market around 6 months from now. It sounds like some amazing handsets are on the way.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-12-12 11:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-01-16 15:47 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-12-07 14:54
Also, Bravia phones will hit the market in 2007. Watch out for 3GSM in Barcelona in February when these will be unveiled.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-12-07 13:54 ]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-07 16:07
looking good...can't wait!

[addsig]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-07 16:32
watsching tv depends on the net itself aswell, i mean the quality, have to admit, k610 wasnt that bad when i used that feature
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-12-07 16:48
Quote:

On 2006-12-07 16:32:32, BobaFett wrote:
watsching tv depends on the net itself aswell, i mean the quality, have to admit, k610 wasnt that bad when i used that feature

It would seem that is sticking to the DVB-H standard it is co-developing with Nokia. This doesn't rely on the existing phone network as it uses part of the DAB spectrum i.e it uses the airwaves. So no 3G streaming, no networks, no congestion.

I read somewhere recently that just 2 or 3 people watching TV via 3G streaming can take up the capacity of an entire cell - or the area covered by one 3G mast.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-12-07 16:16 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-07 16:49
actually i watch tv in edge areas aswell withou any problem, lately i wtach tv with 6230i, was really funny
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-12-07 17:18
I have never had a problem either but the streaming quality isn't very good at all. Plenty of blocking and lagging.

It would be hard to improve the quallity of 3G streaming, its like watching a badly dubbed movie.

DVB-H doesn't involve huge amounts of data so it would be cheaper for most people too.

W44s - A sign of things to come?

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-12-07 16:28 ]
mcrosser
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-07 19:31
should make a phone like this, but with some game buttons on the bottom, so that games can be played horizontal, would look like a Gameboy Advance SP

AVAILABLE - advertise here!!
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-08 06:23
It will take at least 4G to make a TV stream look good.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-12-08 06:36
Well, It's about time I remember - masseur posting a thread something like this with the title: A TV in every SE Phone . . . [addsig]
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-12-08 09:10
Quote:

On 2006-12-08 06:23:17, Residentevil wrote:
It will take at least 4G to make a TV stream look good.

But DVB-H uses airwaves (as said above) which doesn't require data streaming so to speak. Much like how a radio works.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-12-12 11:21
Much the better format if you ask me!

What could be better than picking up a TV broadcast in DAB quality! This also, hopefully, will allow the user to choose from a whole host of channels and not just the ones allowed by your operator.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-12-12 11:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-12-12 11:54 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-01-16 15:20
SO903iTV announced

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-01-16 14:22 ]
arien617
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-16 16:31
So is this DVB-H going to include the Freeview channels we receice in th UK then e.g. TMF, The Hits, BBC News 24, BBC 3, Sky Three, Five US etc.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-01-16 16:36
It depends on the provider. I remember reading somewhere that it won't be guaranteed that these handsets will be able to pick up free-to-air channels outside the remit of the service providers - eg it will be up to your network operator to determine what you can and cannot watch.

How it will ultimately be implemented is anyone's guess at the moment.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi