Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Which to Buy P990i? Or wait for Nokia N95?

Author Which to Buy P990i? Or wait for Nokia N95?
Dockhead
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 07:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I was all geared up to buy an N95. It is so cool in so many ways, thinner and lighter than the P990i, slide out keypad, better camera, more powerful CPU, better memory management . . . .

But I browse and e-mail intensively on my phone, and i just gotta have a way to get text into the machine. The N95 is not made for that. So it's back to the P990i for me, too bad.

Unfortunately, if you need a device which you can use like a phone with one hand (PDA phones won't do for that), and yet works decently with e-mail and internet (need some good text entry device for that), you don't have much choice.

Let's hope SE gets its act together and comes out with an improved P-series -- much more memory better managed, stronger processor, bugs worked out of the OS, 3.5G data, better camera, while we're fantasizing -- thinner!

Or else Nokia puts a touchscreen (with on-screen keyboard and handwriting recognition) on the N95.

Meanwhile, however, after spending several hours tweaking my P990, installing Swiss Manager, deleting all kinds of junk, it's running, on the R5 firmware, like never before, snappy menus, no crashes (fingers crossed). Is it too much to hope that the phone has become usable?
Bambino
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 09:22
My Advise is simple:
E90
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 09:58
N95 has no touch screen so idoes not really compete with the P990
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
Dockhead
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 13:18

nokiamaniax

PM Posted: 2007-04-12 08:22
My Advise is simple: E90
Nitro Fan

Actually I have been looking at the E90! That is a very cool device! If could just get my hands on one to play with the keyboard and evaluate the size. If it is too chunky to put in my suit jacket pocket (the P990 fits, barely) and the keyboard is too small to touch type on, then it wouldn't work. Otherwise -- might be a killer app!

PM Posted: 2007-04-12 08:58
N95 has no touch screen so idoes not really compete with the P990
Beginning to like my P990i at long last!

Yep! But it's too bad Nokia didn't put a touch screen on it. It would be a real P-series killer if it just had that little detail. And I just can't quite understand why you would want all the power -- fast processor, lots of memory, superfast internet connection -- without a decent way of getting text into the phone [puzzled].
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-13 03:29
I have quite a few friends who have treo and they told me the touchscreen is not that important. A keyboard is more essential. A TS is not really a deal breaker to many.

Dockhead
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-13 08:11
Well the N95 has neither keyboard nor touchscreen. No way to get text into it.

My P990 has both keyboard and touchscreen. I travel a lot on business and the phone gets a lot of use for e-mail. I am a fast touch typist and generally prefer keyboards to writing, but for jotting out a short message I usually use the handwriting recognition. I could easily live without a hardware keyboard since the on-screen keyboard works so well (relatively speaking; I mean for a tiny keyboard).

I am intrigued by the E90 and hope to give that a try sometime. Does anybody know whether you can actually touch type on the Nokia Communicators? Or is the keyboard just a glorified thumbboard?
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-13 10:56

I can type reasonably well with T9. I have used a WM PDA before and I find it less tedious to write text with T9 than WM Scribble. From what I heard, the hand-writing recognition software on the UIQ3 is still not as good as WM Scribble.

Also, I dont often write essay using the phone. For short passages, I dont need the complication and overkill of a TS. T9 (with predictive text) can do the job fine.

[ This Message was edited by: mib1800 on 2007-04-13 09:58 ]
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2007-04-16 10:35

On 2007-04-13 03:29:47, mib1800 wrote:
I have quite a few friends who have treo and they told me the touchscreen is not that important. A keyboard is more essential. A TS is not really a deal breaker to many.

Then in my humble opinion they are wrong, any phone without touch screen is a total deal breaker for me, why accept old technology when better is available? dont make sence to me
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-16 14:05
@Nitro Fan,

A touchscreen may well be your preference and even what you feel you need but more smart phones are sold without one than with.

You can't seriously believe you are right and every one else is just wrong, it simply is preference and every one just chooses what suits their needs best otherwise by your logic non touchscreens just wouldn't sell and everyone would have a touchscreen device and that most certainly isn't the case is it?

I used to think i couldn't survive without a touchscreen but since last June i have, i have also had two additional devices with touchscreens a SE M600 and TyTN and couldn't sell them fast enough. The main advantage of a non touchscreen is simply a better quality screen with none of the visibility issues that come with a touchscreen.

Again i will repeat there really is no right or wrong choice IMO only what each user needs wants or prefers.

Marc
Blackberry Bold, V4.6.0.214, 8GB SDHC, Pin2553F455
Honoured to have Won Best Debater for the 2nd Year
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2007-04-16 14:57
@Dogmann

You're 100 percent correct in that it depends on personal preference.

I'm still using my p910i and the thought of a non-touchscreen phone doesn't sit well with me. It is going to take some getting used to.

Even though the N95 is ahead of the p990i on the specs side I just find it unappealing, I for one need a full QWERTY keyboard, that sliding mechanisn scares the hell out of me. Also as evidenced by the comprison with the K800i on the camera shootout the camera is nothing to shout about- you need real good photos take a digicam.

The E90 though, is something I find myself constantly thinking of getting. My feeling is that it better than the N95.

I'm still waiting for SE to shock me in a positive way before making a final decision on the E90.
Depending on what the new 'P700'/ the new m610 or maybe the new P series have to offer I'll hold off till then.

For me the n95 has lost its 'magic', it was unbelievable on announcement but now it just seems ordinary.

Like you said before, there's nothing your N93 can't do that the N95 can except maybe HSDPA.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2007-04-16 15:56

On 2007-04-16 14:05:05, Dogmann wrote:
@Nitro Fan,

A touchscreen may well be your preference and even what you feel you need but more smart phones are sold without one than with.

You can't seriously believe you are right and every one else is just wrong, it simply is preference and every one just chooses what suits their needs best otherwise by your logic non touchscreens just wouldn't sell and everyone would have a touchscreen device and that most certainly isn't the case is it?

I used to think i couldn't survive without a touchscreen but since last June i have, i have also had two additional devices with touchscreens a SE M600 and TyTN and couldn't sell them fast enough. The main advantage of a non touchscreen is simply a better quality screen with none of the visibility issues that come with a touchscreen.

Again i will repeat there really is no right or wrong choice IMO only what each user needs wants or prefers.

Marc

Hi Marc
I dont have the best eye sight up close so key pad text entry is a real pain for me, touch screens allow me to enter text quickly even faster if I dont look at the screen whilst I write (Hard to belive but true!) but at the end of the day it is It is only my humble opinion I am sure others will disagree!
kalu
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-04-20 22:31

On 2007-02-08 07:56:14, fyrestrtr wrote:

When I first saw the N95, I was really wowed by it. The built-in GPS and WiFi really did it for me, then after the "wow" factor calmed down, I gave the phone a closer look:

1. Screen size. Both devices have the exact same screen dimensions (if you believe gsmarena). So nothing new there.

as i just read more into this, the N95 has a 2.6" and the P990 has a 2.8", both being QVGA screens. So the P990 has a little more screen/display area.
fixfox
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-04-21 05:05
In my opinion, the functionality of the n95 is by far superior to the p990, not to mention range of available software.

p990
---------
for:
1. qwerty keypad
2. touchscreen

against
1. everything else...

it's simple enough.. n95 is a better device to have.

ex. VOIP calls

n95: out of the box

p990: babies have been conceived and born .... still nothing !

[ This Message was edited by: fixfox on 2007-04-21 04:12 ]
Dockhead
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-05 12:08
Comparing these phones is comparing apples and oranges. They are different tools for different purposes.

Without any way to input text, the N95 is useless for those of us who use our phones mainly for business purposes -- for e-mails and web.

I was on the verge of tossing my P990i in frustration with all its bugs, but the latest firmware update has FINALLY made it stable and fast. So I'll be sticking with it for a while.

The N95 is a beautiful phone and I'm sure it's great for its purpose. If it had a touchscreen and keyboard I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I certainly have no brand loyalty to SE after all the incredible hassle I spent effectively beta (or alpha) testing their undeveloped P990i which has only become usable 9 months (!) after release.

But now that it works it's the right tool for what I do. Just like the P800, P900, and P910 I had before it, over the years. Maybe SE will get the next generation P right before they release it?

It would be great if the next "P" phone:

1. Were thinner, like the N95. Better much thinner. The length, width, and weight don't bother me at all. But the thickness makes it awkward to put in your suit pocket, where this kind of phone is always carried.

2. Had GPS, like the N95.

3. Had a really good camera with flash and optical zoom.

4. Had plenty of memory. SE, don't skimp on the memory!

5. Skype built in.

6. The double-slider format of the N95 is really cool.

Sounds a lot like the N95, doesn't it?
kalu
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-05-06 03:46
i would go the other way. I would like ALL the newtorks (like in n95 ) in my P990 and just a biger screen.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi