Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Which to Buy P990i? Or wait for Nokia N95?

Author Which to Buy P990i? Or wait for Nokia N95?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-04-11 12:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've had mine a week and I am not sick of it

Indeed I am finding new things all the time that I like about it. I have had very few crashes and the initial firmware on this is definitly more stable than it was on the P990 for the first couple of firmware releases.

there are issues with the gps but I suspect Nokia will sort them quickly

I'm not saying this will ever be my main phone, though it was for most ofyesterday when SEUS bricked my M600 (which later was unbricked by SEUS). I do miss touch screen but if I didn't have the M600 I could probably live happily with this N95
Anuj
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-04-11 13:38
I back you there - I'm not at all bored with this gadget

Great piece of kit, probably the best out of Nokia....I've only had one crash when I went in to lifeblog for the first time.......
Dockhead
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-11 14:07
How about text input? Anyone using the N95 for e-mail?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-04-11 14:22
yes, it has predictive text in the form of T9, so its pretty much what you get on most non touch screen phones and will not seem alien to you
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-11 14:30
@fyrestrtr

While some of your points are valid and some aren't

Screen

The P990 has a touchscreen and that's it the N95 has 16million colours and is brighter and clearer and viewable in lighting the P990's isn't simply because it's not a touchscreen. If you want or need a touchscreen the P990 wins if not it loses.

Input Methods

On this i agree completely no argument from me.

GPS

Again agree there are better solutions and as mentioned Tom Tom 6 and a stand alone GPS IMO is superior.

Performance

You only talk of storage memory and that's it, the N95 outguns the P990 by a huge amount they both have the same installed Ram the P990 with the latest update gives 18mb approx and still leaks the N95 offers over 22mb and doesn't. The processor in the P990 is a 208mhz against the N95's 332mhz. The N95 has a dedicated 2D/3D graphics chip the P990 has the lite version. The P990 has WiFi b and 3G the N95 has WiFi g 3G HSDPA, EDGE and SIP support. Here I'm afraid the P990 doesn't even come close. Not forgetting 5 Mega pixel camera compared to 2 and video recording @640x480 30fps MP4 compared to qcif 30fps in 3gg.

Entertainment

Due to the above non touchscreen 16m colours the faster processor and dedicated graphics chip again the P990 can not compete. As for TV out being dumb it may not be what you like or need. But to many that travel as you check into your room you can now browse the Internet or work on documents or even watch a film on a proper TV screen and if you should feel inclined even play a game maybe not so dumb after all and again the N95 is in a different class.

@Bart,

Whilst no one will deny that the P990 is finally reaching the standard it should it is really old tech now some 9 months later. Just look above at the glaring differences and the P990's battery is not a long life battery either is it. Also if you so happy to recommend the P990 why were you selling yours if it's so brilliant. How any one that uses a P990 can advise some one not to get a N95 as it will buggy is just so funny it's not true er hello pot calling kettle.

Now having said all of that i will add the N95 actually isn't a device for me, i prefer my N93 that does all that the N95 except for the extra 2mega pixel camera although i do get a 3x Optical zoom. For GPS i use a Holox BT-321 with Tom Tom 6 and a screen with lower spec but i have yet to compare then and more than happy with mine. The keypad and layout of the N93 suits me better and i have just got a Nokia SW-8W bluetooth keyboard as i can open the N93 in Laptop mode on any flat surface should i need or want to enter a lot of Data quickly. I don't want a 3.5mm jack as this is awkward should a call come in so use the Nokia AD-46 3.5mm adapter with microphone and Black Shure EC2g which gives unbelievable music and film sound.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-04-11 13:36 ]
kalu
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-04-11 16:56
dogmann,
very good analysis/comparison. yet, you did not mention anything on the music playback, and I guess some would like to know about that as well.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-04-11 17:02
well, as well as MP3 it supports WMA so I simply plugged my 2gb transflash that I was using on my TyTN straight into the N95 and it plays all my music

The standby screen has an entru which gives direct access to the player, or you can press and hold the right gallery button to get in there

Once in there you get a similar breakdown choice as the W950 (a bit more actually)

i.e. All Songs, playlists, artists, albums, genres, composers

in any of these you can mark tracks you want to play, add to playlist etc and it has a submeu for album art

of course there is also shuffle, repeat, equaliser, visualisation etc too

but best of all, its very loud through the stereo speakers

no complaints here with the music player
Anuj
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-04-11 17:35
The N95 has the best stereo sound and is the loudest I have ever heard on a Mobile phone!!

There is a message tone (not sure what it's called) it sounds like a fast car/ bike or maybe an arrow - the way it travels from one speaker to another is awesome! And the equaliser works a treat too
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 01:20
@Masseur,

Does the equaliser allow you to set up your own presets as it does on the N93? As you can see from my Sig i use a Nokia adapter that allows me to plug in my own headphones and i have to tell you I recently tested a W950 and W880 the sound from the Nokia is louder 40-50% is more than loud enough where the Walkman needed much more volume and was not as loud or clear IMHO. There is no way i consider i need a Music Player or Video player as the N93 does both these extremely well and as the N95 shares the same processor and graphics chips would imagine performance is similar.

As a side note have to say these Shure EC2 headphones make the E71's sound like the freebie you get with the phone really quite stunned at the difference.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-04-12 00:22 ]
corrado85
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 02:33
i dont like nokia n series symbian OS. but i like the hardware technologies it has to offer.

I dont like the design.

I like p990i
It has touchscreen, and i need a touchscreen based pda
i like the design, style. its a better mix w/ sense of fashion than n95

some missing features like gps, 5mp, and high speed hsda support.. but oh well..

you pay for what you get=)
Simply.
suland
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 02:43
Why stupid Nokia developers did not make the N95 with TOUCHSCREEN? It
is taking the device way back behind P990i. N95's "5MP" camera does not impress at all.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com[....]/04/nokia-n95-hands-on-043.jpg

[ This Message was edited by: suland on 2007-04-12 01:54 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 03:30
@suland

For a very good reason Nokia don't use a touchscreen UI and not everyone wants or needs a touchscreen. Many smart phone users are perfectly happy with a better screen in there non touchscreen smart phones it really is as simple as that.

Personally i moved from UIQ and touchscreens only last June to S60 and not having a touchscreen was something i was worried i would miss. Since then i have besides using S60 had a SE M600 and a TYTN both with touchscreens and sold both in a very short time of use. I have found not only do i not miss a touchscreen the better screen is more than worth the price of not having one. But if you feel you need or have to have one then a Nokia is not for you.

Marc
Blackberry Bold, V4.6.0.214, 8GB SDHC, Pin2553F455
Honoured to have Won Best Debater for the 2nd Year
donroyquilop
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 03:39
Hi guys,

Just throwing my 2 cents in here. I actually think that both phones are of excellent quality. Actually, in the hands of someone who really knows how to operate the P990i, the phone can be a powerful tool. In the hands of someone who is always fumbling around the controls of the P990i, throwing the phone out of the window becomes a very nice option....hehehe.

The P990i...I think... is more for the business minded person who loves the use of a touchscreen. There are people who really just prefer to enter the data through a touchscreen method. So, if you fall into this category, then the P990i is the phone for you. If you're more of a multimedia person, then definitely the N95 phone is the one for you.

As for comparing the two phones, I think we should compare the P990i to the N93 or N93i for now. Until SE releases a 5MP phone, lets hold the comparisons of the P990i to the N95 for now. At the moment, the top phone in the market belongs to Nokia's N95. Until then, let's wait for SE to release something to knock the N95 out of its ranking.
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 03:45
I don't think even the SUCCESSOR of the P990 will be comparable with that of the Nokia N95 here Get the N95 - no doubt ! [addsig]
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-12 03:58

On 2007-04-11 11:56:15, bart wrote:
N95 sucks big time. after a week you are sick of it, its got no soul.
you'll have to recharge it everyday, sometimes twice a day when you are a heavy user.
cam quality is ok, but SE's cybershot phones take beter pics.
and the GPS omg, the pre installed software is poor, and gps uses alot of the battery.

if you want a phone with build in gps, wait untill next year.
if you want a good overall symbian phone, stick to the P990i, SE is doing their best with the firmware.
and if you want a gps, then get a tomtom or sony or micheline.

Bart, you sound so desperate. Can't find any response to how N95 demolish the p990 in (almost) everyway, eh?. Why do you even bother? It is like containing fire using paper.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi