Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Which to Buy P990i? Or wait for Nokia N95?

Author Which to Buy P990i? Or wait for Nokia N95?
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2006-11-14 15:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@koto- on the design front I have to admit again that the p990i is superb, it makes the p910i look ugly and ancient. Yes, there are worthy improvements but not something that would make me ditch my p910i just yet. I do see SE coming up with a new model to compete though. Let's face it nokia (n95) has upped the stakes and I don't think SE will sit back and fold their arms. That's the model I want even if it means waiting for another 8 months from now.

[ This Message was edited by: EMS06 on 2006-11-14 14:14 ]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2006-11-14 15:24
@dogmann- honestly, I miss Ericsson. Designwise they were brilliant! They had complete phones. I guess that's just a dream for us who wish great old Ericsson could come back without Sony. I can live with that cause I have no choice.
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2006-11-14 16:01
@EMSO6
If that's the model you want than definitely you should wait.. I too were very happy to hear about N95 because I like competition. Competition means better phones and more satisfaction for us users. It will be nice to see SE reply. I don't like to live in my own tiny world secretly hopping that my phone will be the best one to the end of the world:) I would like tomorrow to see P1000 for example or N100 with some yet unknown features.
After having and enjoying P910 for a long time I got an urge for something new, and P990 perfectly fulfilled that urge. For me no more waiting.
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-11-14 20:48
@koto, just readiing your earlier post p990 has possibility to use 8gb cards, or did you mean only 4gb card is availlable.
Reminder; milk, sugar, crisps, post letter.
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2006-11-14 21:12
@pachy
Yes, only talking about what is available at the moment.
Saka
Satio Red
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-02-07 21:57
Quote:

On 2006-11-12 21:43:16, Waka wrote:

My friend is a senior tester for Nokia multimedia division and when I spoke to him last week for he said it will be out at the end of Jan. 07.

It's middle February and it isn't even on horizon yet.
Say hello to your friend at Nokia.
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2007-02-08 03:39
@osamede - Better wait for the N95 dude ! If I were to compare and CHOOSE between the P990 and the N93 . . . I will surely be gettin' the latter ! [addsig]
tint
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-02-08 04:48
Anyone have problem setting up personal ringtone on p990? everytime I set it, it works for a day or 2, then it goes back to the default ringtone. Rang SE the other day and they advised me to send it back. This is my second replacement, I thought I couldn't be that bad luck to have 2 faulty phone. surely, there's a solution, pls HELP. or may be 3rd time lucky!
R1
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-02-08 04:49
Quote:

On 2006-11-14 01:32:09, apolloa wrote:
I will get my P990 soon I hope as IMO it's fantastic and is getting fixed with updates.
You should ask yourself what form of input you want really as that's the main difference between the two, the touchscreen interface. I would also wait to read reviews on the N95's battery performance as we all know the N80 is aweful, especially once you start using it's features heavily.
If you can wait till next year then do so, you'll know weather the N95 is any good or not and you'll know the P990 will be working bug free by then as well.

Tail
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2007-02-08 05:25
Before the N95 is releast i think there will be some new phones announced by SE
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-02-08 06:35
N95 is very close now. Just a little wait more.

In terms of size p990 is a brick compared to sleek and slim N95.
In terms of functionality, N95 towers over p990 with 5mp, vga video rec, tv-out, GPS, standard ports like mini-usb and 3.5mm jack,stereo speakers and future support for the new Nokia gaming platform.
In terms of price N95 is not more expensive.
fyrestrtr
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-02-08 07:56
[Rant]
The only thing I don't like about SE phones (all of them, including the P990) is that they can't figure out how to put EDGE and 3G in the same device.

i-mate: EDGE+3G(HSDPA)+WiFi(/b/g)
Nokia: EDGE+3G(HSDPA)+WiFi(/b/g)
SE: 3G+WiFi(/b)

C'mon Ericsson ... get with the program.
[/End Rant]

When I first saw the N95, I was really wowed by it. The built-in GPS and WiFi really did it for me, then after the "wow" factor calmed down, I gave the phone a closer look:

1. Screen size. Both devices have the exact same screen dimensions (if you believe gsmarena). So nothing new there. The P990 has a touchscreen, the N95 doesn't (actually, I don't know of any Nokia that does). N95 wins in the color resolution and depth department.

2. Input methods. N95 has T9; so does the P990. The P990 has a complete (almost) keyboard. N95 just has the standard 12 keys. I am now so spoiled by the M600 that I really can't function on a non-keyboard phone for anything but the basic short messages. If I were to buy the N95, I would really want to use it as a browser (HSDPA+WiFi) and I think I would be very annoyed by not having a full keyboard. For others, it might not be an issue.

3. GPS. This is the coolest feature; and although at first I would probably use it, I am wondering if for me it would even come into big use? I'm not a frequent traveler (maybe 1 trip every two months). I'm also worried about the battery life should GPS + 3G data be used simultaneously. At first, this was the biggest selling point for me; now that I have thought about it, it still a plus, just not that big. The other thing being that I can get GPS on the P990 by purchasing TomTom and a receiver. Now I'm wondering is if the GPS comes with voice guidance, otherwise its quite dangerous to keep track of your route on such a small device when driving. Once this phone is released, I will be following up on this GPS feature the most.

4. Performance. The first thing that caught my eye when reading about the N95 was the 160 MB of internal memory. Hopefully, Nokia can manage this better than SE and it could lead to a better user experience. However, I think that the majority of this memory would be reserved for the GPS software + its maps. That is what I would do if I were to design this phone, since accessing internal memory is always faster than external (memory card). SE has had quite a while to fix the major bugs with the P990 thanks to the many early adopter/beta testers. Nokia is launching a brand new device and I believe a first from them with built-in GPS. So its really a toss here. I think that people considering the N95 should wait after a few months of the initial launch when the price will drop and you'll get tons of reviews of the device and can see the bugs/issues that people have had with it.

5. Entertainment. Both phones are quite full in the entertainment department. Bluetooth 2.0+A2DP (stereo bluetooth), music player that handles more formats than I can care to remember, radio, etc. Main differences are that the N95 has dedicated playback keys and a player "mode" that you can activate with the secondary slider, the higher resolution camera, and TV out (which I think is the dumbest thing to put on a phone). Honestly, I'm not big into multimedia on the phone, so someone else should really comment in this department. I enjoy videos on the phone and to me, both would do a great job at that. One thing I really like about the N95 is that it has a standard stereo jack. That's just brilliant.

6. Longevity. I guess an easy way to describe this category is to say that after you have played with all the gizmos, gadgets, and new features, how is the phone in daily life and how long will you use it? To give you an example -- when I got the TyTn, I used it exclusively for two weeks, playing with themes, today screen plugins, the wifi, the camera, mobile messenger, etc. These days however, I rarely take the phone out except when going on a business trip (wifi+activesync means I can check emails without carrying around the laptop) and I use the M600 daily. When I think back to my P910, I continued to use the phone even after the 'wow' factor had worn off, and I was still using almost all the features of the device. I was checking emails, chatting online, using many 3rd party applications, etc. About the only thing I didn't use -- the camera. When I think about this, I think that in the end, I would use the N95 as a phone first, maybe the GPS considering coverage where I live; and perhaps the camera. I really don't see myself using the TV out, the 'media mode' or even using it to check emails because of the lack of the keyboard. However, the P990 is very usable as both a data device and an entertainment device. I guess this category will differ for each person, but to me -- the P990 wins here because it has less of the 'oooh aaah' features that wear off and more of the practical usability.

I hope that my short summary of my thoughts on the P990 vs. N95 has helped someone maybe make up their mind or at least look at other areas to compare. I really enjoy technology and gadgets, and I think the N95 is a great device; it might not be exactly the perfect device for me (is there ever a perfect device? I thought the T28 world was ) but I'm sure for someone its the perfect thing.

Looking forward to other opinions on the great P990 vs. N95 debate.

[ This Message was edited by: fyrestrtr on 2007-02-08 06:58 ]
Dockhead
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-11 11:27
I am also struggling with the P990i versus N95 question. I am a long time user of P series phones, having owned every single model in the series (P800, P900, P910 and now P990) and having used these as my primary phones since 2002.

The P990 is a breakthrough in some ways, I love and need the 3G and WiFi and decent camera.

But even the P800 was not as buggy as my P990i. I have had nothing but problems with mine, and it seems to have become LESS stable with successive firmware updates. It has reached the point where I can't even use the phone as an alarm clock any more -- I can't rely on the phone not to reboot itself in the night. Plus it remembers every alarm I ever set and goes off over and over. And it is agonizingly slow. I guess it all boils down to lack of memory and/or bad memory management, but the bottom line is that the phone does not work acceptably well.

I have just flashed to R5A13 and my first impression is that the phone seems to finally be a little snappier in its responses. We'll see.

In the mean time, I have been searching around for alternatives, and the Nokia N95 at first seemed like a Godsend -- everything I need, plus thinner and lighter than the rather bulky P990i.

And then I realized that the N95 does not have a touchscreen. And no keyboard. So how do you enter text? With T9? Looks like a real problem for writing e-mails, entering search terms in the browser, writing SMS's, and so forth.

Anyone switch to N95 from P990i? Anyone comment on the text input problem?
Dockhead
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-04-11 11:47
As much as I have loved the P-series over the years, I am tired of struggling with the P990i. After latest firmware update with reformat of the internal drive, without ever having used any programs or functions, the damned thing still hangs up just doing a simple task like setting the ring tone. Freezes up; white screen.

I wonder if it could have anything to do with the 2 gig Memory Stick Pro Due High Speed memory card I put into it in December? It seemed to work worse after that. I've swapped back to the original 64 meg card; see what that does.

Or maybe I'll be happier with the N95? Or an HTC Trinity PDA-phone?
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-11 11:56
N95 sucks big time. after a week you are sick of it, its got no soul.
you'll have to recharge it everyday, sometimes twice a day when you are a heavy user.
cam quality is ok, but SE's cybershot phones take beter pics.
and the GPS omg, the pre installed software is poor, and gps uses alot of the battery.

if you want a phone with build in gps, wait untill next year.
if you want a good overall symbian phone, stick to the P990i, SE is doing their best with the firmware.
and if you want a gps, then get a tomtom or sony or micheline.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi