Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > Full guide to 'how to send pictures from a t68i to a pc using any bluetooth key'

Author Full guide to 'how to send pictures from a t68i to a pc using any bluetooth key'
Bug One
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-02 09:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ok, after intensively searching, and fiddling for a week to get this damn thing working, I think I've finally cracked it.

Here is my definitive guide to how I got it working on my system. I'm not saying this is the only way, this is just how I've done it, and its working on my system.

I have a SonyEricsson T68i and an MSI bluetooth key. I'm using Windows ME on an AMD system with a SIS K7S5A motherboard. The MSI key is in the USB port using the adapter supplied with it. I currently have FloatsMobileAgent , Ericsson Communications suite Package 2
an Mobilet (MSI's own rubbish) installed on my computer.

Before starting, I uninstalled all previous bluetooth drivers, also I removed the MSI key from the computer, and gave it a cold reboot.

I downloaded the version 15 software from the MSI site (well, I already had it, but you get the idea.) For other bluetooth adaptors, you'll have to locate the software yourself, and I cannot guarantee that this method will work. However, I hope it will.

MSI Bluetooth Driver Version 12.2.2.15 for Win98SE/ME/2000/XP(10Mb)

I extracted this self extractor into a temporary directory, clearly labelling it Version 15. Then I ran the setup file. I followed the install. Once the install had finished I accepted the restart. Once it had rebooted, I turned the computer fully off.

When the computer was off, I inserted the MSI key into the computer. I turned on the computer and the operating system found the new hardware and asked for drivers for the device. I directed it to the directory that I extracted version 15 into. Once this was complete, I cold rebooted the computer.

Now is a good time to upgrade the firmware of the MSI key. I had already done this, but if you havent, then now is the time. The MSI software should of made an entry in your start menu called upgrade firmware.

Once this is done, goto the Add/Remove programs and remove the MSI software. (When this was unstalling I got an error message about the BTstackserver, this didnt harm the uninstall) I also uninstalled the MSI software Mobilet. Once this was done, I restarted. Once I had restarted I cold booted the computer. While the computer was off I removed the MSI bluetooth key.

Next I downloaded the Version 16 software (well, I already had it saved). Once I had this, I extracted it into a temporary directory, clearly labelling it Version 16.

Tecom Bluetooth (Widcomm Generic)Driver Version 12.2.2.16 (16mb)

I then ran the setup.exe from this directory. I followed the install process. Once this was complete, I didn't accept the restart. Then restarted the computer myself. Once it had restarted, I switched off.

While the computer was off, I inserted the MSI key. Now I switched on again. When the system restarted, the Operating system recognised the new hardware. If it doesn't do this, goto the Control Panel, System dialogue, and click on the Unknown USB device, and click reinstall driver. When the system asks for the location of the driver, I pointed it to the folder where I had extracted the version 15 software from MSI. When it came up with the driver, it asked me if I wasnted to use 'this' driver, or view all driver found. I chose to view all drivers found. There was one other driver, located in the C:WindowsInf directory. I chose to use this version of the driver. ( I dont know if this makes any difference, its just the way I did it).

At this stage, even though the driver is installed, the MSI key should only be single blue flashing. At this point, right click on the Bluetooth Icon in the Windows system tray (bottom right of screen) and open up the configuration panel. Click the 'Hardware' tab. Now the MSI bluetooth device should be shown. Click 'Ok'. Now (after a second or two) the MSI key should start to double blue flash.

Now try sending a picture to the PC using your phone. (My Pictures, Send, Via Bluetooth) The phone should find your computer (although at this stage for some reason, mine found the name as 'phone'). The picture should now send to your PC.

Once this worked once, go back into your bluetooth configuration and click through evey tab. In the 'Information Exchange' you can change the destination directories where the files are sent to. I've created a Bluetooth Inbox in My Documents, but its up to you. Now 'OK' the configuration panel.

Now double click the bluetooth icon to open up My Bluetooth Places. Now on the phone, goto Connect, Bluetooth, Discoverable. Now in My Bluetooth Places, click search bluetooth devices (middle on). It should find your phone. Now double click your phone to search available services. Once this is done return to the top menu and click 'Add Bluetooth Connection'. Create a bluetooth serial port. It will ask you for a passkey. Enter something simple (I just put '1') now your phone will ask 'accept, add to pairer, decline' Select Add to Paired. Now enter '1'. This should work. Now go back and add another connection. I created an Information Exchange.

Now test sending a picture to your phone using the Inbox drag drop. (If you dont know this, goto bluetooth neighbourhood and click on your phone. Then double click inbox. Now, from explorer, try drag dropping a small .jpg file. The phone will ask if you want to accept it, and it should transfer.

Also, FloatsMobileAgent should work fine, and now all the Ericsson Communications suite (Phonebook, Textmessaging, Phone settings) should work fine. (Do not try using them at the same time - they interrupt each other).

I hope this guide helps answer a few peoples questions properly.

I dont regularly post her, but if you need to ask a question, mail me at David@bugone.co.uk

[ This Message was edited by: Bug One on 2002-11-02 08:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bug One on 2002-11-22 04:15 ]
couzo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-02 09:38
At least now Ican send files to my phone but when I try to send pictures to my computer the phone finds the computer but just says transfer failed all the time???

I am using a TDK bt dongle and have installed all the software that you have to get my phone to work I can send things to my phone but can't send files out from it??
Bug One
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-02 09:43
Ok, I had them all installed and like you, they didn't work. But I've found it is not WHAT you have installed it is HOW and in what order you have installed it.

Uninstall Version 16, then accept the restart. Then Cold reboot your computer. Now, with your bluetooth adapter out of the computer, follow the long winded install process I've said above.

You will have to substitute the MSI version 15 for the version 15 developed for your bluetooth adapter. Other than that it should be exactly the same.

I hope this helps.

[ This Message was edited by: Bug One on 2002-11-02 08:44 ]
Tongster!
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-11-06 11:52
wicked it all works fine.

cheers dave
P1aGu3
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 09:31
Hmmm, I hope this works with my D-Link adapter.

Also, does anyone know of Bluetooth software with a Headset Profile (for my HBH-30)
pbw
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-12 22:44
Bless you, Bug One, for posting the link for the 1.2.2.16 bluetooth driver. I spent forever trying to get the 1.2.2.15 driver to work with my D-Link DBT120. v15 appeared to work on Windows 2000 but would never find my T68. v16 finds it just fine.

It then took me awhile to figure out that I had to also download the Sony Ericsson Mobile Monitor to get the XTND sync software to work with Bluetooth (I don't think it was required when I sync'ed via IR on another computer). I'm finally able to sync with Outlook via Bluetooth!

BTW, shame on D-Link for their lousy tech support. Email and phone support both said they didn't support their own DBT-120. Their email support was extra terrible in that they basically sent me responses such as "check our website" and "device not supported".
Bug One
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-22 05:16
Bump
solobaric
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-11-22 05:56
Thanx for the helpful tip. Now i can send files from my pc to my phone. I still need help sending files from phone to pc. Can u help me out

This post was posted from a T68i

solobaric
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-11-22 06:00
Im not sure which driver version i have. All i see is billionton bluetooth software 1.2.2.9 version. How do i uninstall that and change it to 1.2.2.16? I went to the billionton website but they didnt have it

T68iFan
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-11-22 06:24
Bug One,

Thanks for the useful guide. I don't yet have a bluetooth port on my pc, but when I eventually get one, I'm sure I'll look up this thread. Bookmarking now

I just really appreciate users like Bug One who take the time to help others by posting the details of their troubleshooting efforts and resolutions.

I believe T68 users are a special breed, and the camaraderie represented on esato is proof of that.

T68iFan
solobaric
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-11-22 10:08
do i need to install the msi version 15 first? can't i just skip that and install the tecomm version 16?
drhigh5
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-22 12:15
It is not necessary at all to install an earlier version of the Widcomm software. The reason I believe Bugone installed an earlier version is because that version had the driver for the MSI key in with the package. As long as you install the correct USB key driver first (for whatever key you have TDK, Tecom, MSI, Billionton, etc..) before installing the Widcomm software then you should be ok.
The Tecom version 16 shown on this page is from the Tecom site and incorporates the Tecom key driver in with the Widcomm software package version 16.
You could infact install the Widcomm version 18 which is now available, however, I have not found out where yet.
I do know that FloAt has tried it and says it work perfectly.

[ This Message was edited by: drhigh5 on 2002-11-22 11:23 ]
solobaric
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-11-22 14:29
Thanx. I just finishd installing msi version 15 with my billionton bluetooth. Everythng is working fine but still cant send files from phone to pc. I'll probably install widcomm version 16 or 18 next. Maybe i'll get lucky and it'll work

solobaric
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-11-22 14:31
By the way, is it the device or software that prevents me from sending files from phone to pc?

drhigh5
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-22 15:10
Software
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi