sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 09:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2006-10-14 08:12:08, nalbagli wrote:
Come on! continue posting I am really interested

Nothing much more to say really. It comes down to taste. You either like the iPod or you don't. Some people feel that a phone is their best all in one gadget, while some do not mind having separates. Not much debate there.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 10:53
The main issue is storage and relative cost of memory. You think about it, and in fact the price is much more expensive for an all in one, with even less memory. 30GB iPod and a phone don't cost nearly as much as a W810 with a 4GB memory stick.
Then again, most people get the memory for show and don't avtually fill the iPod nywhere near to capacity, so 4GB is truly enough.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 11:00
Quote:

On 2006-10-16 10:53:59, shaliron wrote:
The main issue is storage and relative cost of memory. You think about it, and in fact the price is much more expensive for an all in one, with even less memory. 30GB iPod and a phone don't cost nearly as much as a W810 with a 4GB memory stick.
Then again, most people get the memory for show and don't avtually fill the iPod nywhere near to capacity, so 4GB is truly enough.

I beg to differ. I have an 80 gig iPod and it is well over 25 gigs. I have the entire CSI seriers 6, part of series 7, 3 movies, and the third year of Arrested Development. All of it on my iPod. Can't put this on a w810i. Studies have shown most people will fill an iPod if they have the capacity: source www.ilounge.com.

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
JimmerUK
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-16 11:19
Quote:

On 2006-10-16 09:29:27, sapporobaby wrote:
You either like the iPod or you don't. Some people feel that a phone is their best all in one gadget

It will be interesting to see how people's opinions change when the iPod/iPhone comes out. Supposedly it's a definite for next January so not too long to wait.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 11:22
Quote:

On 2006-10-16 11:19:26, JimmerUK wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-10-16 09:29:27, sapporobaby wrote:
You either like the iPod or you don't. Some people feel that a phone is their best all in one gadget

It will be interesting to see how people's opinions change when the iPod/iPhone comes out. Supposedly it's a definite for next January so not too long to wait.

Hammer -------------------> Nail.

You are soo correct. Nothing like a iPod stuffed with so much stuff you don't know where to start. The iPod, if a truly organic Apple product, will scare the other phone manufactures. With a slick and transparent integration into iTunes, this phone will sell like hot cakes. I want one already.

shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 11:26
@sapporobaby
Well, I'm just speaking for quite a few people who own iPod videos, and really they have no need for such a lot of storage. Obviously there are some people that do fill it up, but most people either don't have that much music stored digitally, have no need to have thousands of songs in one place, or even bother to convert hours of movie into such a tight format.

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 11:30
Quote:

On 2006-10-16 11:26:18, shaliron wrote:
@sapporobaby
Well, I'm just speaking for quite a few people who own iPod videos, and really they have no need for such a lot of storage. Obviously there are some people that do fill it up, but most people either don't have that much music stored digitally, have no need to have thousands of songs in one place, or even bother to convert hours of movie into such a tight format.

You might have a point but I still find this hard to come to terms with. The larger iPods are huge sellers mainly for their storage capacity. Actually many people have two iPods. The smaller Nano's for training, quick hops, etc... while many have the larger capacity iPods to do the heavy lifting and library archiving, vid watching etc.... To rip a movie is about a 45 min process depending on the computer, and if you get a chance pop to the Apple forums and see how many people are out there discussing this very topic. If you will notice my previous post, you will see where I have the entire season 6 of CSI, part of 7, and season 3 of Arrested Development on my iPod. They alone are more than 5 gigs. No phone on the market can even come close to matching this.

Swiss Army Knife phones simply do not offer more bang for the buck.

-/..../../...//.../../-/.//../...//--./---/../-./--.//-/---//-/...././/-../-

[ This Message was edited by: sapporobaby on 2006-10-16 10:33 ]
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 11:37
I think though, for the general market, smaller capacities are more popular. The iPod mini, and nano were the more popular than their larger capacity cousins, simply because of the convenience of their size and cost. Yeah, video conversion seems relatively simple to us, but to the general public, it is long and complex. This is just why mobile phones as mp3 players are convenient.

In the end, it's not what we tech freaks care about, it's what the general market wants, and that's the average person who can't afford two iPods.

Just like why SE is focusing on mid range phones now.

egrus
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 14:57
Ok y'all, my question is simple! How many times can you watch any video without getting sick of it (highly predictable)! You can fill up 5 video 80GB iPods so you can have it all! Music videos are a little different, but still! Don't you get bored after watching the SAME stuff more than 3-4 times? How can you say that the more, the better (how about a nice fast external drive to store and archive)? I talked previously about the "FUN" factor which in my humble opinion has to do mostly with miniaturization and less with "dedicated" devices! Yes. the iPod is great and many people have it. and yes, digital cameras up to trillions of megapixels are great too, but there's no equivalent for the quick shot of a walkman phone/camera. It's all there. You can fit movies and videos, enough for a long trip or two and then replace them with new ones, I find having a lot of movies or any videos is uneccessary as I said above. And while you are listening, if you see a potential photo you just raise your phone and snap, and then you are back into your music listening or video watching. Again, as I said above, the future will bring more miniature hybrids and Apple is smart enough to be releasing the iPhone or whatever the hell will call it! It will be another instant hit since they are smart enough to even sell you their iUnderwear in the future if it will be stylish and make YOU think it serves a purpose. The smart approach of Sony Ericsson is more than proven as again, we are heading, technology-wise to smaller and more efficient devices. So, if you need storage so you can (re)watch your favorite shows or have a zillion songs then the video iPod is for you. For more fun and immediacy keep carrying your little SE phone around and impress your friends that are still using archaic technology and their phones can't do most of what SE phones can do. Btw, search for the $79.99 4GB MSPD on ebay and have fun, get 2 or 3, stick some MP4/3gp software in them and rip DVD's at your friends' house when you are bored and watch them on your way back home, hehe! And don't forget to snap those impromptu photos wherever you are! My 2 cents in as I am selling my ex-beloved iRiver H-320, turboed with Rockbox firmware which is fab but nevertheless a bit obsolete for my taste as are any iPoos (as iRiver people call them) out there. I have used it in the past year or so as a convenient USB drive to store and transfer data. Cheers to Sony Ericsson and their brilliant "FUN" phones!
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 15:19
@egrus

Great post. I agree with some of it, much of it actually. However, for me, an all in one device is too much of a compromise for me. I have an k800i and a M600i. The M600i does the heavy duty while the k800i sits in my pocket (if I remember to bring it) turned off. For me the camera function is not really a must have. In fact, I am probably going to get the Nokia E61 for its keyboard and connectivity features. The K800i is a great phone and targeted at the correct demographic, it has proven itself as a winner. My iPod, movies and all goes with me everywhere. I could lose my k800i and not be bothered. I would just buy another or something else, however, I would be devastated to lose my iPod or to have it broken.

steele
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 16:03
If you're a heavy user, go for the Ipod bec of storage. It's not because Ipod is better. Even Ipod have a background hiss. Bottomline is, you as a user can determine your preferences.
leeboy13
T610
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 16:06
not oly becuase of storage but also because of ease of uasage, theres nothing (ive seen) thats comes close to the scroll wheel

Oh and thanks for reminding me my ipod is in my pocket, will be switching that badboy on now

Lee
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-10-16 16:28
Quote:

On 2006-10-16 16:03:07, steele wrote:
If you're a heavy user, go for the Ipod bec of storage. It's not because Ipod is better. Even Ipod have a background hiss. Bottomline is, you as a user can determine your preferences.

True, but it is bearly audible even with a set of Ultimate Ears or Etymotic ER-4's.

It all comes down to taste. I like the iPod and what it does for me. Bottom line.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic