Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Walkman Phones v/s iPod Video

Author Walkman Phones v/s iPod Video
April Dancer
W850 black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-10 23:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
It's not really comparing like with like, is it? I've had various iPods snce 2001 and I had a W800 for the last year in addition. One is a dedicated music player, the other is a phone that plays a bit of music, surely?

If you seriously like your music buy an iPod (or whatever. I'm not getting into the iPod versus other things debate as there's no contest). If you want a phone that you can stick a pair of earphones in when you're short of pocket space, or you haven't got the shekels for an iPod, then go for the W*** whatever phone.

I have to say that I've used my phone no more than half a dozen times for the music. I love the phones and have just upgraded to the W850 but it's a gadget thing with me. Nothing is going to make me ditch the iPod, same as no phone is going to make me ditch my digital camera, at least not in the foreseeable future.
lazeeboy
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2006-10-11 02:23
i prefer having separate devices. i have both a K610i+HPM-70 and an MPIO FY700 audio player. although both sound great i use my audio player more(in playing mp3's) to save battery life on my K610.
A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.
Daisun
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-11 03:00
Quote:

On 2006-10-10 06:54:46, driftmania wrote:
IMO, you should just get a average phone like a K800 or some other phone and get a iPod. iPods are definately better for music, there's more space, so you don't have to buy memory sticks and it has it's own headphone jack that Walkman phones don't so you won't attract attention when your headphones get loose and the music starts playing and everybody looks at you, which happened to me a lot of times already. plus, you can watch more videos as well.

Walkman phones have headphone jacks on the provided handsfree headphone. In newer phones, ie. the k800i upwards, when you unplug the connector at the bottom and you are playing music, sound does not come out of your speakers. It will ask whether or not you wish the sound to be played through speakers, it will remain silent until u tell it to keep playing.
driftmania
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2006-10-11 03:10
that's only on the newer phones though, most people are talking about W810 and before. Besides, iPod has WAY more space, 30G for only 250 USD, that's way cheaper than buying memory sticks, and if you use your iPod, your phone's battery will definately last longer.
Xugaa
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-11 17:50
Well I don't know about other Ipods, but my K800's music quality and sound is far better than my sisters Ipod Nano...

chamak
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-10-11 21:22
Just yesterday I had an argument with gf about it and none of us could agree with other, as she won't ditch her ipod, and i won't ditch my K750i (yah no W***, but i love the sound it delivers!). I would really like to see the outcome of this thread
DCUK7
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-11 21:41
I have the new 80GB iPod video and I much prefer it to my K800i and my mate's W850i. The new iPods come with revised earphones (at long last) and to be honest they are rather good (although my Sony ones give the best sound still, but for £30 they bloody should).

Don't judge the new iPod until you have used it and used the earphones. I cannot state enough how much better these new earphones are compared to the old iPod ones.

As has been said, it depends on usage. If you are after an all-in-one deivce then a Walkman phone is definately the way to go. Me, I like dedicated devices for the task which is why I have my K800i, PSP, Dell Axim x51v and my iPod.
egrus
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-10-12 04:37
@ Coxy

Could you please tell me where you got your headphone adapter? I have one with a cable but don't really like it. Yours is nice and ultraportable Do you know if it fits a K750 as well? Thanks much!

@ any iPod devotees!

Btw, iRiver rocks, the Hxxx series is highly customizable and 3rd party firmware has been developed to bring it to another level. I find the iPod a bit too common and rather limited in that respect. I owned 1st and 3rd G and had my hands on a 5th G the other day. 2 words: Not impressed! Stick with your SE's - iPods will be old and dead as miniaturization takes over - our SE's is the answer! All in one, great features and quality and easy on the eyes and ears!

[ This Message was edited by: egrus on 2006-10-12 03:47 ]
driftmania
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2006-10-12 05:50
iPod's are easy on the ears and eyes, it has way more space than any Walkman phone.
Great quality? then why is there a million threads about bugs and messed up phones in this forum?
egrus
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-10-12 07:29
@ driftmania

It's like comparing oranges and lemons. The iPod is "easy", yes. Nothing more than that. Its size will always be a burden in everyone's pocket. Apple is now attempting with the smallest one to make things really portable but it has lost the game. There are lots of players out there with far superior qualities than the cheap (see Apple's downscaled models)iPods. The 30 and 80GB are ok, but still bulky and not at all user upgradable/customizable. It's drag and drop mentality and yes, "easy". The cell phones on the other hand "are" the future including all you need in a portable package, they are "complex" and not for everyone. They have capable media players, along with video and games and all sorts of mobile apps, media storage pretty soon will up to 32 GB and speed is getting faster and faster. They are highly customizable so one can use his/her imagination and make them their own (thus the many problems people have and come here for help). Isn't that nice? I love my K750 even though I know that there are more capable phones out there. I am getting an 8GB pro duo and having done some mods myself, it simply is a pleasure owing it. I sold my 3rd gen iPod for pennies since I got bored with its limitations. I have to say I am impressed with all the white accessories but at the same time it's like watching some sort of an army, they all look alike and frankly, white isn't that sexy. On the other hand, the black 80 GB iPod, I am sure will make every owner proud and powerful but soon there will be a better iPod and Apple will be happy to sell more. Anyway, I think both have their plusses and minuses but I prefer the future! Sony Ericssons are great along with any other innovative products out there but Apple is going to make money in the future with, let's say...quadrouple intel processors. Power is God!

[ This Message was edited by: egrus on 2006-10-12 07:32 ]
Hlcn Twst
K790
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-12 17:46
The fanboi-ism is maddening.

First, who the hell compares music players based on the free included headphones? Do you judge a car based solely on the tires installed by the dealership? In the many decades of portable music, I've yet to purchase a player (cassette, CD, iPod, or MP3 phone) whose packed-in headphones didn't warrant an immediate upgrade.

(FYI, the W810's included 'phones aren't so great, either - too much overly-muddied bass that masks the mids and highs. They've since been replaced with better-sounding Sony MDR-EX71SL's. As for my iPod, Sony MDR-EX81LP's are perfect.)

Second, you think the iPod is bulky - hold your beloved phone next to one and see for yourself. I have the previous (4th) generation 60GB iPod photo, and it's only a hair thicker than my W810, though it holds 58GB more content. The newest models are 80GB and thinner yet.

Third, its funny to read users complain about the iPod's music quality. And yet, phones hiss and crackle; iPods don't. Pot, meet kettle.

Fourth, just how "customizable?" are phones? These aren't hackable Motorolas... And unless you're high on crack, you can't even compare the software's usability to the simple, clean, easy-to-navigate iPod. And iTunes handily blows Disc-2-Phone out of the water.

Lastly, considering the iPod has over 50% of the DMP market, and iTunes over 80% of the legal music download market (has anyone but a fanboi ever heard of "Play Now"?), it's blindly stupid to claim Apple has "lost the market."

The people on this forum need to get over themselves and see the phones for what they really are - good iPod complements, poor iPod substitutes.
egrus
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-10-12 18:25
@ Hlcn Twst

You are right and wrong at the same time, I hope you don't work for Apple : ) but it seems that you are kinda touchy about my comment above. You seem to isolate your reply to a few of the details. I didn't talk about current market and the marketing strategies of iPod which by now has become the instantly recognizable theme on the planet, but rather how fashion has become so homogenous! It's a given that if you own an iPod you are someone who wants the most 'advanced' gadget, and you'll find reasons to say that everything else sucks. It's attitude versus what is up and coming and that's the truth of the matter. The iPod is good for people that want extra space for months of listening/watching/playing pleasure. You need that, your phone, your camera and whatever else pleases you so you need to carry all wherever you go in a...bag? The Walkman phones have tried successfully to incorporate more of a "fun" factor in one device that fits in your pocket. Bar none! There are alternative accessories to customize your pleasure and they aren't really expensive. I have a pair of Shure E3 headphones and they blast through my impeccably modified K750. I can take decent pics with it, I can SHARE pics with other bluetooth capable phone owners, and music and more! The iPod isn't as mobile in the sense that you need a computer to share and iTunes isn't that sharable! In this age of technology and isolation I feel that we should try a little better, don't you think? Thanks for the info though, highly appreciated! Finally, they are two totally different beasts and you buy what you really feel is appopriate for your needs. My K750 will suffice at the moment.
Hlcn Twst
K790
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-12 20:13
You basically expanded my point, egrus. phones, with their Swiss Army knife functionality, make wonderful complements to "dedicated" devices. However, they do not, and (for some time, at least) will not replace those devices.

Many:se: phones can play music files, just like iPods. But for strictly music playing, my W810 phone with its 2 GB of memory, limited interface, and useless D2P software can't touch my 60 GB iPod with its effective interface and joyously easy-to-use iTunes software,

Most phones take good still pictures, just like digital cameras. But my 2 MP W810 can't touch the picture quality of my 7.1 MP Canon Powershot G6.

Likewise for video - I doubt my W810's clips could match the quality or duration of those taken with, for example, Sony's DCR-SR100 3 MP digital camcorder with 30GB Hard Drive. (I don't have one of those, but I sure wish I did!)

A similar argument can be made for games, e.g. the W810 versus a Sony PSP or Nintendo GBA.

You're right when you say I wouldn't be carrying around an iPod, digicam, camcorder, and game console. And for everyday walking around, that's where phones come in handy, by offering this functionality in a single mobile phone. But when I'm on a long flight, I'm bringing my iPod and PSP. When I'm going to the Grand Canyon, I'm taking my digicam. When I'm going to my best friend's wedding, I'm bringing my camcorder.

Why? Because my phone isn't nearly ready for those tasks where I need the superior capabilities of those "dedicated' devices. It has nothing to do with fasion or having the latest gadget, and everything to do with capability.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-10-12 20:37
Quote:

On 2006-10-11 21:41:02, ~DC:UK~ wrote:
I have the new 80GB iPod video and I much prefer it to my K800i and my mate's W850i. The new iPods come with revised earphones (at long last) and to be honest they are rather good (although my Sony ones give the best sound still, but for £30 they bloody should).

Don't judge the new iPod until you have used it and used the earphones. I cannot state enough how much better these new earphones are compared to the old iPod ones.

As has been said, it depends on usage. If you are after an all-in-one deivce then a Walkman phone is definately the way to go. Me, I like dedicated devices for the task which is why I have my K800i, PSP, Dell Axim x51v and my iPod.

Good post. I feel the exact same. I have the new 80 gig iPod as well. My moto is: with the Swiss Army knife type phones, "one down, two in the shop". I use my k800i for when I want to do training. Combined with the HBH-DS970, the k800i is a nice training platform, but for the heavy lifting, I prefer the iPod.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
nalbagli
K790
PM
Posted: 2006-10-13 07:36
Quote:

On 2006-10-12 17:46:32, Hlcn Twst wrote:
The fanboi-ism is maddening.

First, who the hell compares music players based on the free included headphones? Do you judge a car based solely on the tires installed by the dealership? In the many decades of portable music, I've yet to purchase a player (cassette, CD, iPod, or MP3 phone) whose packed-in headphones didn't warrant an immediate upgrade.

(FYI, the W810's included 'phones aren't so great, either - too much overly-muddied bass that masks the mids and highs. They've since been replaced with better-sounding Sony MDR-EX71SL's. As for my iPod, Sony MDR-EX81LP's are perfect.)

Second, you think the iPod is bulky - hold your beloved phone next to one and see for yourself. I have the previous (4th) generation 60GB iPod photo, and it's only a hair thicker than my W810, though it holds 58GB more content. The newest models are 80GB and thinner yet.

Third, its funny to read users complain about the iPod's music quality. And yet, phones hiss and crackle; iPods don't. Pot, meet kettle.

Fourth, just how "customizable?" are phones? These aren't hackable Motorolas... And unless you're high on crack, you can't even compare the software's usability to the simple, clean, easy-to-navigate iPod. And iTunes handily blows Disc-2-Phone out of the water.

Lastly, considering the iPod has over 50% of the DMP market, and iTunes over 80% of the legal music download market (has anyone but a fanboi ever heard of "Play Now"?), it's blindly stupid to claim Apple has "lost the market."

The people on this forum need to get over themselves and see the phones for what they really are - good iPod complements, poor iPod substitutes.

I am 100% in agree with you, for example I use my M600 to send mails, talk etc...my psp when I want to play...my iPod when I want to hear music (take it with me every day)...use my digicam when I go in a trip so I jus ttake each gadget when I need it and I know that Walkman Phones do all this but they do all this things with a lower quality.

Btw, I have been comparing the soun between my 30 GB iPod vid and W800 and soun quality in iPod is MUCH MORE CLEARER AND BETTER.

I think that the walkman phones are GREAT but they are PHONES...and they are made for TALKING and that is what they do better

CONTINUE GIVING OPINIONS..THE THREAD HAS VERY INTERESTING POSTS!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic