Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Walkman Phones v/s iPod Video

Author Walkman Phones v/s iPod Video
Bandit
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-10-20 16:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

taking a picture with a K800 or whatever is far from instant. like a normal camera, you have to press a button or two, and wait for it to load to the viewfinder, then you have to press for a second or two. it's not all that INSTANT. and exactly how is a all-in-one phone "fun"? you get to listen to music on a phone? exactly how the hell is that "fun"?and also, the sound quality on the W900 isn't even that great. if you start making it loud, the quality lessens,

heehee...i'm just being argumentative....
1. sound quality isn't that great, but for what it is, it's good enough. Besides. you really shouldn't be listening to music so loudly. It's really bad for your ears =)~

2. fun is different for everyone. There are some people who find watching paint dry fun. I'm not one of them, but there are people like that. So don't mock someone else's sense of fun =)~

3. you're splitting hairs. a second or two wasted at initialising the camera is far less time consuming than taking a camera out of your bag, turning it on pointing and clicking. I think that's all the previous post was getting at.

~LB
mephisto2k
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-20 17:41
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but for those who like/have a use for watching videos on the move:

a) The iPod has a bigger screen than the K800 (or other video capable SE device)

b) more importantly, have you ever tried to FF to an exact point in a film with a K800? Piece of cake on an iPod!

That's why the iPod beats an SE phone for watching video...
leeboy13
T610
PM
Posted: 2006-10-20 17:53
OMG..... your comparing a dedicated music player to a phone???????????

OK, lets compare a elephant to a car shall we???? this is rediculous!!!!

its personal pref at teh end of the day but surely we can say that an ipod is better music wise and a phone is betetr for calling with
living the dream!
driftmania
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2006-10-21 02:31
@leeboy, scroll up, and tell me what the title of this thread is.
leeboy13
T610
PM
Posted: 2006-10-21 10:01
i saw

Just boggles my mind you can compare the two to such an extent that you are..... each to their own i guess..... I shouldnt have got envolved, this is simply wasting my time aswell now.....
living the dream!
Hlcn Twst
K790
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-25 23:07
As an experiment, I left my iPod at home today, and brought along my W810 with its included headset and earphones.

I can best describe the experience as...

song navigation is terrible, the application doesn't know the difference between songs (e.g. 256 kbps stereo AACs) and ringtones (e.g. 64 kbps mono MP3s), and the hissing is hard to ignore.

It works great at the gym, where I only listen to one playlist (with no Jazz or Classical music, i.e., nothing for which sound quality is so critical) kept on Shuffle. But beyond that, a phone is no substitute for an iPod.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-10-25 23:46
@Hlcn Twst,

Yuppers dude. I discovered this a while back. The phones are great but no way can they compete with a dedicated device. Just can't.

I just love my 80 iPod, Jabra BT iPod receiver and HBH-DS970. A winning combination.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
nrg4560
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-12-04 01:03
Definitely,
I originally had a w800, then upgraded to a w900, but I currently have a w850. I have converted full videos, ripped from DVD, to a mp4 file format and put them on my phone...amazing quality. My latest movie I put on was The Matrix. If you are going to play videos on the w850, play them trough the Video Player (main menu>entertainment>video player), and not through the file manager. When you view videos through the media player, you can pause, fast-forward, rewind, save frames as images, and more--much better than simply using the file manager.

To convert the videos, I used AVS Video Tools. I converted to MP4(ISO), highest quality, Single-Pass encoding, Mp3 Audio (128 kbps).
tai020381
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-04 02:29
Originally posted by HlcnTwst

(As an experiment, I left my iPod at home today, and brought along my W810 with its included headset and earphones.

I can best describe the experience as...
New window

song navigation is terrible, the application doesn't know the difference between songs (e.g. 256 kbps stereo AACs) and ringtones (e.g. 64 kbps mono MP3s), and the hissing is hard to ignore.

It works great at the gym, where I only listen to one playlist (with no Jazz or Classical music, i.e., nothing for which sound quality is so critical) kept on Shuffle. But beyond that, a phone is no substitute for an iPod. )

Dude, the W810 can do more than this. Do fiddle more with the phone, & you can see that you can create more than 1 playlist, and also create a new folder just to separate your ringtones & your dedicated music.
DeLa
T600
PM
Posted: 2006-12-04 09:22
- Even though the w810 sounds good, the iPod sounds better;
- I use my iPod to play music in the car, at home through the stereo... I wouldn't use my mobile for that because (1) it does not have sufficïent capacity to hold both 'walk around' music and 'car music' and 'dining music' and (2) I don't want to either shut off my mobile or have it sounding through car or home speakers;
- Walkman does not play songs bought through iTunes;
- iTunes is unsurpassed: you can prepare all your playlists on the computer;
- Walkman is fine to keep some playlists for specific occasions, or the latest songs you want to keep; so you have a "backup" for all the occasions where you do not want or can bring your iPod;
- for me the fm-radio in the phone is more important - the main reason I didn't buy a k610 - and makes a lot of sense in a mobile phone.
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-12-04 11:07
One thing is for sure the walkman phones are a lot easier to make phone calls on and send sms!
Merkie2
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-12-04 17:30
Quote:

On 2006-12-04 09:22:58, DeLa wrote:
- Walkman does not play songs bought through iTunes;

That's not the phone's fault.
Tiny
K550 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-04 19:18
My w850i is much better than my ipod nano, plus the standard issue ipod speakers suck compared to my sony ericsson ones i got with the phone
A-w850i
W850 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-04 19:24
Phones are clearly superior to dedicated mp3 devices, why else is it heavily rumoured that Apple is bring out a phone?

I have less than 4gb of music so my w850i does the job fine. It also lets me use WMA files (whoop dedoo I can covert them when using an iPod but why double my disk space used for music? - I like media centre).

Also when taking a call I just press 1 button and I've answered it. If I was to use an iPod I would have to pause my music, take my earphones out (possible hold them) and then answer my call.

Phones kick the iPods arse for games. There are many more available which are all better. I can also use wireless headphones with little hassle, have it all set up via AD2P through my car so my phone is wireless.

New walkman phones come with a 3.5mm jack adapter anyway and it barely matters, I like using the standard as its a handsfree kit.
this was not posted from a w850i as I only get 1mb of free WAP/mo
driftmania
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2006-12-05 06:38
the 3.5 mm adapter doesn't do shit, it's just another fast port that's loose as hell and the music plays loudly when the adapter is disconnected due to being bended a little. answering a phone call using an ipod is very simple, just pull off one headphone and just press the button to answer the call.
a little less the 4G of music does fine to you, but not everybody because they can put pretty much ALL their music so they won't have to transfer so many times.
Phones are NEVER better than DEDICATED music players, why the hell do you think they are called DEDICATED music players? because it kicks ass compared to phones, which is a swiss army knife, many functions, but not the best in each one except having normal phone features.

Tiny - do you know why the speakers on the iPod sucks? because it doesn't come with any genius.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic