Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia introduces Wibree Technology ( Nokia's Bluetooth)

Author Nokia introduces Wibree Technology ( Nokia's Bluetooth)
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-03 22:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Nokia today introduced Wibree technology as an open industry initiative extending local connectivity to small devices. This new radio technology developed by Nokia Research Center complements other local connectivity technologies, consuming only a fraction of the power compared to other such radio technologies, enabling smaller and less costly implementations and being easy to integrate with Bluetooth solutions.

ESATO NEWS

Wibree is the first open technology offering connectivity between mobile devices or Personal Computers, and small, button cell battery power devices such as watches, wireless keyboards, toys and sports sensors. By extending the role mobile devices can play in consumers' lives, this technology increases the growth potential in these market segments.

The goal being to have the new technology available to the market as fast as possible, Nokia is defining the Wibree interoperability specification together with a group of leading companies representing semiconductor manufacturers, device vendors and qualification service providers. The technology will be made broadly available to the industry through an open and preferably existing forum enabling wide adoption of the technology. The forum solution is under evaluation and will be defined by the time the specification is finalized. According to the current estimate the first commercial version of the interoperability specification will be available during second quarter of 2007.

The current members of the group defining the specification are: Broadcom Corporation, CSR, Epson and Nordic Semiconductor having licensed the Wibree technology for commercial chip implementation and Suunto and Taiyo Yuden, contributing to the interoperability specification in their respective areas of expertise.

Technical details:

Wibree technology complements close range communication with Bluetooth like performance within 0-10 m range and data rate of 1 Mbps. Wibree is optimized for applications requiring extremely low power consumption, small size and low cost. Wibree is implemented either as stand-alone chip or as Bluetooth-Wibree dual-mode chip. The small devices like watches and sports sensors will be based on stand-alone chip whereas Bluetooth devices will take benefit of the dual-mode solution, extending Bluetooth device connectivity to new range of smallest devices.For more information on Wibree see the website: www.wibree.com

[addsig]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-04 14:32
Nice concept, but how many more battery-powered or rechargable devices do we want?
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-04 15:07
true, but more my concern, why the f... go off and do their own thing? I'd rather see ONE single wireless solution, not something controlled by one manufacturer. because that means other oem's will do the same thing and before you know it there are 20 different wireless connectivity methods and you can never connect to your friends/workmates whatever device becasue it has a different connectivity.

What's wrong with improving Bluetooth, or the proposed industry standard wusb (wireless usb)?

I just wish the industry was prepared to work together on this. Nokia calling it an "Open Standard" is a joke - that just means other manufacturers can pay them for the privelege of using it.
darky
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-10-05 06:59
what's next purple fur ;P ;P ;P

nobody steal that I copyrighted it ;D
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-10-05 08:10
Quote:

On 2006-10-04 15:07:07, max_wedge wrote:
true, but more my concern, why the f... go off and do their own thing? I'd rather see ONE single wireless solution, not something controlled by one manufacturer. because that means other oem's will do the same thing and before you know it there are 20 different wireless connectivity methods and you can never connect to your friends/workmates whatever device becasue it has a different connectivity.

What's wrong with improving Bluetooth, or the proposed industry standard wusb (wireless usb)?

I just wish the industry was prepared to work together on this. Nokia calling it an "Open Standard" is a joke - that just means other manufacturers can pay them for the privelege of using it.

I think the initiative is really smart and not a bad one indeed, recognizing a major shortcoming of bluetooth: power consumption. Improving Bluetooth requires backward compatibility with previous Bluetooth and that is another major problem since you build something on top of something which is power hungry. Hence a different approach has been taken: Wibree which offers similar connectivity as Bluetooth but with significantly less power! And that not only means savings at the end of the day but also expands the range of devices to which wireless connectivity can apply. Look at these fossil bluetooth watches for instance: they require batteries. I hate batteries in watches!

The other point is that the frequency band in which this works is unlicensed hence anyone is free to do whatever he/she wants with it. Why be bound to Bluetooth when you could do something else which is more efficient.

Let's see how the industry takes up on this. But I do see a good potential with it!

[ This Message was edited by: Super G on 2006-10-05 07:11 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-05 17:27
Sorry, bit of a knee jerk reaction on my part. But if they replace bluetooth on phones with wibree I'll be pissed. Wibree is lower throughput (you can't have low power AND massive data transfer speeds). It is designed to complement bluetooth, not replace.

For mobile phones I'd rather see wireless usb (480Mbps) replace bluetooth than wibree. Wibree is 1Mbps, bluetooth 2 if implemented properly is 2.1Mbps . Wibree also has a shorter range than bluetooth (30 feet compared to 30 metres of bluetooth)

But for small devices without decent power supplies I agree with your comments.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-10-05 16:30 ]
392MHz
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-05 18:03
all stupid bastards at Nokia.
the only reason to develop such products like this shit, is not to pay license fee to the Bluetooth organization.

what is the sense in inventing a crap like this, which has no advantage to present solutions, and compatible with nothing.

the same applies for aac, wma, memory stick, and windows media photo.

[ This Message was edited by: 392MHz on 2006-10-05 17:07 ]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-05 18:11
Quote:

On 2006-10-05 18:03:10, 392MHz wrote:
all stupid bastards at Nokia.
the only reason to develop such products like this shit, is not to pay license fee to the Bluetooth organization.

Absolutely agree with that,This can be seen as nothing else but Nokia's sad attempt to worm its way out of paying for Bluetooth.

[addsig]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-06 06:45
actually it's more that they want to worm their way into being the sole receiver of royalties, instead of as in bluetooth where member organisations get the royalties equally (or based on shareholding).

I see a place for it for ultra small (ie smaller than bluetooth headsets or watches even) devices, but not mobile phones or even a watch.

btw, here's my perfect bluetooth watch
M2 expansion card storage,
Bluetooth 2, 2.1Mbsec transfer rate, 100m range (full EDR), A2DP profile
MP3, M4A ,WMA, MP4 audio and video player (screen has photo chromatic cover which changes from watch face to lcd for video or menu functions)
1.3MP camera, lense in watch face (when taking a photo watch hands automatically move out of the way if moving over the lense, then return to correct position)
PDA functions (Watch, Calander, Alarm, Stopwatch, Voice Recorder, Calculator etc)
Gold Plated (the cheapest part of the watch)

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-10-06 05:47 ]
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-11 05:39
There is a limit to minitureization. You gotta have enough room for an antenna etc. I don't see a need for anther wireless technology. Nokia should put their money into making BT better.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi