Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Bored with SE especially the P990i.

1234  Next
Author Bored with SE especially the P990i.
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-09-20 23:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
And let me tell u why...

Before i start this i dont want u all thinkin am some sort of Nokia Fanboy! I've had SE phones from the T68i upwards... i jus feel a bit peeved off at SE for not releasin somethin tha can compete like the P900/P910i did when they where released!!!

I got myself all hyped up about the P990i since it was first announced... it was gonna be the best symbian smartphone ever! Imagine having WIFI on yeh phone!!! wow!

Then it was delayed and delayed again an then some more just to rub salt in the wound!

Finally its released and after a week or two of usin it i'm finding it pretty basic in terms of Smartphone features of this time of year... so i've made my mind up....

I'm swappin it for a Nokia N93... And this is why....

*Size wise they are pretty much the same...
*Screen isnt touch sensitive which i prefer... cant b doin wit touchin the screen lol...
*Camera is a 3.2Mp cam wit carl zeiss lens and a mechanical shutter (this doesnt bother me as i have a 12Mp fuji DSLR which i use as ma main cam) but its nice to have a decent cam on standby!
*The N93 has TV OUT which means i can use the phone but view everything on my tv FULLSCREEN! even the GAMES!!! and INTERNET!
*The phone uses nice cheap Mini SD cards... got maself a 2Gb card for £30!!!
*Still can be updated online via Nokia's self service FW upgrades!
*and still has wifi built in which is what i mainly want the phone for!
*N93 has sooooooo much more software available at the mo an i dont mean jus games... i'm talkin about file management software, GPS software, Full Office suites (not jus quick office), better support for websites as it uses the Safari browser (same as Apple Macs)...

So all in all the N93 takes 1st place for me... battery life is reported to be very good for a smartphone an its features are bang upto date for a phone released this year unlike the P990i....

J.
themro
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 01:44
Quote:
The N93 has TV OUT which means i can use the phone but view everything on my tv FULLSCREEN! even the GAMES!!! and INTERNET!
*N93 has sooooooo much more software available at the mo an i dont mean jus games... i'm talkin about file management software, GPS software, Full Office suites (not jus quick office), better support for websites as it uses the Safari browser (same as Apple Macs)...

Why would u want to output a crappy low res pic to a tv??

I just bought a 2gb memory stick for my 990 for £24 delivered.

Software is a matter of time. were on a completely new Operating System as far as programs go not just a revamp.
mykkk
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 03:11
Quote:

On 2006-09-20 23:55:19, voda_jon wrote:

*The N93 has TV OUT which means i can use the phone but view everything on my tv FULLSCREEN! even the GAMES!!! and INTERNET!

lmao....i'd leave the games to the ps2 and the internet browsing to my computer if I want a larger screen.
bluesun
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 04:45
i'm pretty much satisfied with the p990i. it has everything that i need for business phone- mobile office, word, excel and powerpoint; notes; calendar; tasks; calculator; converter; sms, mms and email; camera; sound/video player and recorder; video call; web browser; rss feeds; 3g; wi-fi; bluetooth; gprs; infrared; etc... it even has a business card scanner. so far, i can't think of anything else that i need for a business phone.

now for a fun phone- that is a different matter. the p990i is just not a weekend phone. without the risk of harming my p990i, i can't take it with me while i am riding my bike... nor whenever i am at the beach... much less, when i am on a boat. i wish they'd release a waterproof 3g smartphone (like the SO902iWP+, which they released in japan). although not 3g capable, nokia has already released the 5500 sport to battle with siemens' m75. i want a waterproof and shockproof sony ericsson, specifically the SO902iWP+... now.
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-21 06:00
YEah gimme a water proof phone I can use in the rain and snow.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
w@lkm@n
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 06:25
lol...that's a 1st...while most p990i users are fed up of the phone u seem to be bored...if se had to make a nokia series60 kinda symbian phone i'd surely grab it. [addsig]
Waka
P900
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 11:09
I thought the TV out resolution of the N93 was higher than the normal screen resolution...something like 640x480?

W.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 11:30
Quote:

Finally its released and after a week or two of usin it i'm finding it pretty basic in terms of Smartphone features of this time of year... so i've made my mind up....

*Screen isnt touch sensitive which i prefer... cant b doin wit touchin the screen lol...
*Camera is a 3.2Mp cam wit carl zeiss lens and a mechanical shutter (this doesnt bother me as i have a 12Mp fuji DSLR which i use as ma main cam) but its nice to have a decent cam on standby!

So all in all the N93 takes 1st place for me... battery life is reported to be very good for a smartphone an its features are bang upto date for a phone released this year unlike the P990i....

J.

At least you should get you facts straight:

n93, like other s60 v3 devices doesn“t have much more software than UIQ 3 devices...in fact there“s also lack of software compared with older s60 versions

P990 also has alternative Office suites - you must have been sleeping instead of searching for software - Documents to Go ring a bell???

N93 photo quality isn“t better than P990“s, even with one more mp

You can buy pretty cheap ms pro duo“s nowadays

etc

But i think n93 is also a great phone...its just not better than P990 IMHO, consedering what i want from a smartphone right now

Be happy with it

i“m a mean "betatester" and a "SE mole"

http://pbase.com/ares - photography by ares aka antonioj

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2006-09-21 10:46 ]
Johnex
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-21 11:35
go ares!
the phone is great in all aspects, and software is all good for me, no need for fancy crap that can easyly be done by using ssh to a pc, and copying it to the phone
tonyitalian
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 12:46
for gods sake nokia doesnt stand a chance in front of the p990
no chance!
SE Rulez!
Spawn
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 13:43
Quote:

On 2006-09-20 23:55:19, voda_jon wrote:
And let me tell u why...

Before i start this i dont want u all thinkin am some sort of Nokia Fanboy! I've had SE phones from the T68i upwards... i jus feel a bit peeved off at SE for not releasin somethin tha can compete like the P900/P910i did when they where released!!!

I got myself all hyped up about the P990i since it was first announced... it was gonna be the best symbian smartphone ever! Imagine having WIFI on yeh phone!!! wow!

Then it was delayed and delayed again an then some more just to rub salt in the wound!

J.

Ok nice to know..dont let the doors hit your ass on the way out...
Swedish_Chef
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 14:33
Nokia fanboy tssss

abbasakhtar
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 15:03
nokia n93 rocks !
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 15:16
This is getting a flame war between fanboys...better stop guys

The fact is the guy has all the right to not like P990 and buy a N93...

BUT, if he comes here bitch about the P990 when he“s leaving (goodbye...), he should at least present credible arguments, and not a big load of inacurate statments
deepsme
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 15:25
i must say even i am dissapointed (thus far) with se this year,i think all the heads up they had got over nokia last year with the success of the k750 and w800 has been all lost with the launch of some killer n-series models by nokia and se's own ditch at the p-series fanbase with the continuous delay of the p990i.
here, have a puff
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi