Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > K800i : Operation failed when opening app's and games

123  Next
Author K800i : Operation failed when opening app's and games
Danny_BFC
K618 white
PM
Posted: 2006-09-20 23:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hey all, my friend has a k800i on three and today at work he wanted to try the 'facewarp' app on a friend. when he clicked the 'applications' folder in mystuff, the phone displayed a message 'operaion failed' Everything else works fine except the games folder which does the same. Any idea's?
Im not fussed about phones/gadgets no more. If im online im in the Non-Mobile discussion
baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 01:03
never had that error before.
shazzydoosh
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 01:44
Hi,

yep, its happened to me also. I posted about 4 notes on various threads for advice. It has happened to id say 5-10 people on the forums. So it is an issue specific to the K800.

Most have resolved it by calling their provider (generaly O2) and they have recieved replacements. Some others have tried to manually create 2 new folders called "games" and "applications" in the phone using sony ericsson's file manager. I tried this and it was unsuccesful. I have tried a master reset and it didn't fix the problem.

There is some opinion that flashing new firmware onto the phone will resolve this, so I am waiting for SEUS to release a new firmware. If that doesn't fix I will get a replacement from O2.

Hope this helps your friend (sorry no real sollution)
Danny_BFC
K618 white
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 08:34
yeh well 3 said they are going to reflash it. Cant you do it at home?
meeezz
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 08:51
I had this problem with my K800i too!
All the applications and games are missing, folder empty even the pre-defined ones are gone!
Any way links where can I get back those predifined ones?
Thank you.
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 09:06
I get it alot... mainly with Nav4all....
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 09:15
"Operation Failed" is an entirely different error than "Application Error", but I have experienced them both on my K800 too. The "Operation Failed" error message occurs when the phone fails to start the program while "Application Error" is a problem with the program itself. In both cases, the reasons can be firmware or hardware problems, and a reboot or maybe a system reset may help, but for the Application error message, the problem can also be with the program itself, for example, that it was not originally designed for the K800, or that the java version it needs is not compatible with the one provided by the K800.

If the programs disappear from the programs and games folders entirely, that again is an entirely other issue. Unless you have tampered with the phone using the FAR manager or disconnected the USB cable incorrectly, there surely must be a hardware problem in the phone.
skylineR35
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 10:47
that also happen with me but i found a solution without need of going to SESC, but dunno whether it fix with yours...
try to remove SIM card, use another, turn on, remove again then use the first one, hope it works but note that all files in the folder most likely gone
Danny_BFC
K618 white
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 16:13
He havn't done anything to the phone he said to me. No modding etc no pc connections
Im not fussed about phones/gadgets no more. If im online im in the Non-Mobile discussion
meeezz
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-09-21 17:52
I experienced both the Operation Failed" and "Application Error", i didnt use the cable, just bluetooth in transfering my pictures and games.
jadler
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-21 20:47
I got the same error today. I had connected the phone via USB to computer, phone rebooted (really, had to enter PIN again, not the usual virtual restart when you select file transfer mode). Now I can not access folders Applications or Games. Tried removing battery, SIM and M2, leaving the phone naked for five minutes, restarting, same thing. All email settings and downloaded emails are gone too.

Called this afternoon, they claimed to never have heard of this error. Happened to me twice, and I have seen it several times here on Esato. The guy I talked to said that it had not been reported to them before, so I guess either he is ignorant or nobody else reported it directly to SE.

I keep all my files on the M2, never save anything on the phone, so now I made a backup of the M2, and I will try to reformat the card, restore the backup and see what happens. I do not think this will help though, since the phone acts the same way with M2 removed.

Edit: This happened once on debranded generic R1CB, now on generic R1ED.
contact page

[ This Message was edited by: jadler on 2006-09-21 19:51 ]
jadler
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-22 14:55
Reformatted card, put everything back, no change. Same result regardless if I run it with or without M2, so I guess the internal file system might be corrupted.

Next step will be a master reset, so now I am writing down all my settings to make it easier to get it up and running again.

If it is a corrupted internal file system, I guess a reflash would solve the problem (for now, until next time) since it would rewrite the internal file system from scratch. Anyone tried?

I guess I will try putting another SIM in before doing anything else, only 3G enabled card I have handy is my wife's 3 SIM. Don't know if it will make any difference, or if it should be from another operator (though the phone is locked).
Johan Adler, Stockholm, Sweden
photo blog, K800i
=johan.adler
contact page
martynb
K600
PM
Posted: 2006-09-22 19:14
I posted about this on howardforums.
My K800 (already repaired once due to a charging problem has just started playing this 'operation failed' nonsense, applications, games, and RSS seems to be affected and unusable.
My phone is totally unmodified, fresh from O2, nothing installed in applications or games.
I tried master reset, leaving battery out, and putting another SIM in, but the problem persists.
Unfortunately I'm away from home, but when I get back to an O2 shop, I'll be asking for a new phone, no more repairs to this one, it's a dud.
gudgin
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-09-22 19:55
I had this happen to me, had to get a new phone in the end
jadler
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-09-23 14:40
Tried changing SIM, for same operator and for one other. Did no good. Full master reset did nothing helpful either.

Do you think a reflash through Wotan could help, or is it just a waste of time and money?

I am a bit reluctant to go to the 3 service center. When they were going to fix my erratic joystick they kept the phone for three weeks, and the only replacement they could borrow me was a lousy Nokia 6680. I will ask them if I can go to the SESC myself instead.
Johan Adler, Stockholm, Sweden
photo blog, K800i
=johan.adler
contact page
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi