Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P990 bugs and problems

123 ... 232425  Next
Author P990 bugs and problems
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 10:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all, it would be really useful if those of you with the P990 could report problems here as the other P990 thread covers too much.
many thanks

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2006-08-27 10:45 ]
Spawn
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 14:00
Ok i guess ill start even though i just posted quite a big post in teh p990i thread.

Anyways my major gripe with the p990i is the fact the media player is very very low in volume. Through the phone itself it seems pretty loud, well my ringtones are quite loud at max but through my bt headset, hbh ds970 i find it extremely low and ive got the volume on the headset turned to max and same with the p990i. I'll have to go home later today and plug my w810i headphones in there and see if its low through them as it doesnt have its own volume. If it is then hopefully SE will provide a firmware fix for this as its not very good.

Hmm what else, well when when listening to my mp3s i received a message and went to reply to it. But before i could hit reply the phone came up with an error and crashed. Crashed quite badly as well, as i couldnt re-start it without taking the battery out physically.

Other than that i cant think of any other major problems.
macjasp
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 18:10
One i have noticed.

Wifi doesn't connect to access points where the SSID is masked (hidden) - bit of a pain

xxrawdogxx
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 19:07
Trying to view gmail also tried the mobile link.

I currently get a Network Problem Information page.

Only option I have is to continue

Tmobile GPRS.
Web N Walk.

Anyone else have this issue I don't really want to set up a mailbox just want to use the web interface.

[ This Message was edited by: xxrawdogxx on 2006-08-16 21:30 ]
kiriakos
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 20:03
macjasp
I have done it its no problem. I have connected through WEP and WPA and invisible SSID the thing is with invisible SSID is that you will not find it of course in WLAN Scaning menu.
This is how I did...
I have swedish as language so my translation to english menus will not be exactly.
1) Go to control panel

2) Go to Connections There you will se Bluetoth, inertnet, IR, MobileNetworks, USB, and WLAN

3) Go to Internet account

4) Press the arrow at the top to the left of internetaccount

5) Press New Account - Wlan

6) Acountname you can name as what ever you want so it will be easy for you to know like work or home etc

7) Networksname(SSID) -- Type in exactly the right name big letter and so on

8) authentication -- If you have WEP leave it open if you have WPA take that

9) just press the arrow on the bottom and fill in the rest like password mm.

10) when done this save and the phone will ask you if you want to add it in a group. This you shall do in Internet group.

11) go back to internet acounts and you will se your new acount. Press the menu Groups. Press Internet

12) Now set the priority so your wlan acount is before your gprs acount. Youst click the name and change the Priority. Then It wil first check if you have wlan connections before going to GPRS..

13) check if its working. Open your web browser and a world globe will spin around in the bottom, press it and look if its your WLAN acount that the data trafic is coming from..

Hope this will help.

This works for me.

[ This Message was edited by: kiriakos on 2006-08-16 19:06 ]
ashg77
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 22:08
@Spawn,

I can't replicate either of your issues... the sound is nice and loud from the headphones supplied....

also i can send and recieve texts while listening to mp3s....

i think the sound quality is superb.... comparable to my ipod.....
joel80
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 22:21
Ok

I have a few:

* The search of a contat in FC will generate a number the first time you press the keys to get the letter you want to search for.

* The webbrowser takes often up to 20-25 sec to start, and give an error message sometime. "KERN-EXEC" you know...

* The phone runs out of memory even though you close down the programs.

* The mediaplayer can take an awfly long time to start a clip.. especially if the clip is long. (Not the time as the webbrowser though...)

The soundlevel in mediaplayer I think is ok.. If I have my headphones in and go max it almost hurts.. And without the headphones I think it's ok for a phone! It's not a stereo!
/Joel
X1 user since 2008-10-12
P1i user since 2007-12-15
P990i user since 2006-08-07
tindo196
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 22:37
i guess this thread has been coming for some time and i think from now on it will be very popular
locoworks
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-16 23:47
@joel80, the 910 also shows a number in FC before moving to contacts, you just hold the button in. it shows the number to indicate which speed dial button you have pressed even if you have no speed dial assigned to the number . i guess it does this to allow you the speed dial option before moving to contacts. sort of 2 functions on the same key press dependent on the time the key is pressed.

as to this thread, i bet it will catch the other 990 thread up for quite a few firmware updates yet..
joel80
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 00:42
Hi

You made me find a new function... cause that wasn't what i ment.
If i go to the contacts by pressing right and then when i am in the contact-program i press a key and it gives me a nuber before i can write any letters. If i hold down there it just give me the number again... (So if i hold 5 down it first give me a 5 right away and then as in textmode when you press down a key, it gives you the number after a sec... )

if i press it twise fast it forst writes out the 5 and then a j. So I'm searching for 5j instead of k.
hm...

Quote:

On 2006-08-16 23:47:50, locoworks wrote:
@joel80, the 910 also shows a number in FC before moving to contacts, you just hold the button in. it shows the number to indicate which speed dial button you have pressed even if you have no speed dial assigned to the number . i guess it does this to allow you the speed dial option before moving to contacts. sort of 2 functions on the same key press dependent on the time the key is pressed.

/Joel
X1 user since 2008-10-12
pemoz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 03:58
if you press the contacts in FO mode and then just scroll one down before you press a key to get to witch ever contact you want... then it just gives the letter and not the number, so it really has two functions firstly you can speeddial by pressing a number before you srcoll or you srcoll one and then press a letter...
joel80
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 09:40
In FO it's not a problem.. then it takes me direct to the letter I want.
I don't need to scroll down to do that...

Quote:

On 2006-08-17 03:58:00, pemoz wrote:
if you press the contacts in FO mode and then just scroll one down before you press a key to get to witch ever contact you want... then it just gives the letter and not the number, so it really has two functions firstly you can speeddial by pressing a number before you srcoll or you srcoll one and then press a letter...

/Joel
X1 user since 2008-10-12
karlossus
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 10:06
There are a few areas that are causing me a bit of doubt about the phone.

1. There is no way to accept third party certificates at present. I am not sure if this is a UIQ3 or a Dataviz problem. It's annoying as it means having to ok an untrusted certificate before you can sync, i.e. no push email for SBS 2003 users.

2. The battery life is pretty bad (I have the 33 battery). I expect to have to charge a phone daily but for it to be able to do a day no bother with enough juice to get through a lean day in an emergency. Mine was down to 50% after half a days normal use.

3. The MMS app doesn't resize pictures automatically. This means the only way to send a picture via MMS is to take a new one from the MMS app, not using a full sized one already taken with the camera. Theres a similar sort of problem when trying to use a picture for wallpaper. It requires you to manually resize it before the wallpaper applet will accept it. This is a pretty untidy oversight.

4. Regular app crashes. The memory does seem to leak away even with no apps open. This mainly happens on an application opening. Usually the app you want crashes for lack of memory.

They are all annoying faults, nothing that would have put me off buying the phone in the first place but together they've made me consider sending it back. Both WM5 and S60 seem better put together than this at the moment. I think I'll see if we get an idea of when a firmware update might become available. I think the M600i was updated pretty quickly after launch.
joel80
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 10:22
Think there is a setting to do this.. seems to work for me...

If you go to messages, settings, mms-account, advance
There you can chose to be warned (and at the same time change size at the pic) when sending a to big mms-pic.

Quote:

On 2006-08-17 10:06:59, karlossus wrote:

3. The MMS app doesn't resize pictures automatically. This means the only way to send a picture via MMS is to take a new one from the MMS app, not using a full sized one already taken with the camera. Theres a similar sort of problem when trying to use a picture for wallpaper. It requires you to manually resize it before the wallpaper applet will accept it. This is a pretty untidy oversight.

/Joel
X1 user since 2008-10-12
joel80
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 11:04
Johnex and I have noticed a improvment of loadingtime for the brower if the settings of cache is set to large. Thought this could be good to post in this thread too since the one in the p990 will soon be many pages back.

/Joel
X1 user since 2008-10-12
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123 ... 232425  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic