Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Nokia N73 vs SE K800i which is better?

Previous  123 4 ... 272829  Next
Author Nokia N73 vs SE K800i which is better?
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-21 04:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The problem with K800 is the camera takes poorer picture in daylight compared to N73. And the camera is suppose to be a redeeming factor of K800.

I love S60 but feel the K800 is the phone most people will be comfortable with.

But is it enough to sway people to it when N73 has a long list of advantages (in terms of spec) over the K800. With the price (in Asia) of N73 only 40euro more than K800, the attractiveness of K800 evaporates very fast. Also you can get a 2Gb mini-SD for N73 at a cheaper price than a 1Gb M2 for K800.

jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-21 11:28
The actual problem with the K800 is the auto settings. You can take better pictures in all conditions if you use the manual ones. Of course, the average Joe shouldn't have to do this!

Apart from the Xenon flash, there's also BestPic which is one of the coolest features I've ever used. The N73 doesn't have either of these.

[ This Message was edited by: jmcomms on 2006-08-21 10:59 ]
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-21 11:56
Quote:
On 2006-08-21 01:10:36, Dogmann wrote:
It is S60 3rd edition so forget about slow menus and apps because that's just not true on this phone fact.

Apart from the current lack of software, I should point out that 3rd Edition doesn't mean super fast menus. The N73 is still slow. The N93 that I've got in my hand right now has amazing video recording/playback, awesome 3D gaming, but STILL the menu rendering is slow. Now, I'd love for someone to explain why this is - but on the N93, it takes nearly 10 seconds for the screen to rotate the screen, redraw it and load the camera application for taking a photo. Switch to video and there's a further lag.

Quote:

The screen is the best i have experienced on any phone to date IMO, the media player is good for both music and video, plus the built in stereo speakers are actually good enough and loud enough to both listen to music and watch films with IMO, the web browser is better than Opera in just so many ways and lets not forget this actually is a fully functioning Symbian smartphone.

The K800 screen is reflective and better to use in daylight. As the K800 screen is smaller, with the same resolution, I am not sure the N73 is the best one to date. HOWEVER, I'm not saying it's bad. If you hadn't seen the K800 one, you'd be very happy indeed!

The web browser hasn't convinced me yet. Opera was groundbreaking when it (and NetFront etc) reformatted pages to fit the screen. Now we're moving back to the need to scroll around. Yes, it's fast (and the thumbnail images of previous pages is excellent) but I'd rather have Opera. Of course, you can get Opera and Opera Mini for the N73 so you're rather spoilt for choice.

Quote:
If you have a Yahoo account you get proper push e-mail no polling required as it hits your inbox it arrives on your phone and all you have to do is install it and enter your user name and password and it works. I haven't heard of any phones refusing to charge and being dead for no reason, they don't need firmware upgrades every other week and just for your information Nokia will shortly be offering OTA updates if and when they should become necessary.

The K800 supports push email, but I've not used it so can't comment. Certainly Series 60 is more geared for this.

As for the refusing to charge, I have to say that in our office we have THREE Nokia Series 60 phones (a 6630 and two N70s) that have died for no reason (won't charge, won't power up). And, our N80 and N93 both need firmware updates to fix the memory handling problems (the N80 being unable to zoom in on most images beyond 50% and other memory leak problems from built-in apps that suck up all the memory until a reset). It's a PITA that you can't do OTA updates and there's no plan to retrospectively introduce this on current models (I am not sure if the N73 or N93 are included in this).

Quote:
It comes with an 1100 aMh battery which even with 3G and video gives excellent performance but if you devout SE fans can't be open minded enough to see whats in front of you that's your choice just don't slate a phone just because it's not a beloved SE because that's just plain stupid IMO. One last point no crashes or freezes yet either so i don't know if Mr Morris has a retail version or a network branded version but what he describes isn't the phone i use that's for sure.

The K800 only has 950mAh, but I'd hazard a guess that the power consumption on a Symbian handset is higher. However, you'll actually find BOTH handsets perform extremely well. If you disable 3G (as many do) then the improvement is staggering on each of them.

As for crashing, well I'm sorry to say that both phones will do this. My N93 likes to reboot periodically, but the big problem isn't crashing but running out of memory. Firmware updates usually fix this, but this is the price of getting either phone early.

I love Series 60 and have a drawer full of them (in many cases, more than one) from the 6600, 7610, 6630, N70, N80, N71, N73 and N93 - plus a Panasonic X70 and Sendo X. It's an excellent operating system, but like Series 80, Nokia always seems to underpower them and put in too little memory that causes problems. Take the 9300 and 9500 which are woefully underpowered, or the (non-Symbian) 710 Internet Tablet that could have been amazing if it had more memory and a decent processor.

The clear difference is that I get and test all handsets. I try to be impartial, but it's easy to look biased when you find one model better than another. This is the whole reason why I said the comparison was unfair in the first place!
Jonathan Morris
Editor, What Mobile magazine - the UK's leading mobile phone magazine
www.whatmobile.netforum.whatmobile.net
Twitter @jmcomms
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-21 13:06
Hi Jonathan,
i thought we were talking about the N73 here not N80,N93, and i did ask are these production and unbranded models?. You prefer Opera i prefer Safari no problem freedom of choice means just that. There really are no right or wrong choices it is up to the individual to decide which they prefer and what they will or will not put up with. As for their being a lack of software available bar a freeware autolock program i have no desire to add any additional software as my needs are more than covered, but experience has taught me to only ever install what i really need be it on phone or computer for a simpler trouble free life.

Marc

P.S. Although you like to mention the problems with the the N7O, N80, N93 and the fact they need upgrades compare that to the K800 WSD or not turning on at all, and the M600 how many updates is it now? and of course not forgetting the P990. But as i have said elsewhere before all of these things to me are unacceptable behaviour by the manufacturers and needs to stop.

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2006-08-21 12:14 ]
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-21 14:43
Quote:
i thought we were talking about the N73 here not N80,N93, and i did ask are these production and unbranded models?.

They are all final, production models. However, they are SIM-free and unbranded.

Quote:
You prefer Opera i prefer Safari no problem freedom of choice means just that. There really are no right or wrong choices it is up to the individual to decide which they prefer and what they will or will not put up with.

Indeed. I think viewing a page on a single column view is better, if only for convenience.

Quote:
As for their being a lack of software available bar a freeware autolock program i have no desire to add any additional software as my needs are more than covered, but experience has taught me to only ever install what i really need be it on phone or computer for a simpler trouble free life.

This does, partly, prove the point that the K800 is a self-contained phone that most people will be happy with!!

Quote:
P.S. Although you like to mention the problems with the the N7O, N80, N93 and the fact they need upgrades compare that to the K800 WSD or not turning on at all, and the M600 how many updates is it now? and of course not forgetting the P990. But as i have said elsewhere before all of these things to me are unacceptable behaviour by the manufacturers and needs to stop.

I don't know how many updates the M600i has had, but we've not been sent a final P990i yet. Nokia have more S60 phones, so the firmware issue is a bigger problem with them than SE but it's only to be expected. The problem with smart phones is that you could wait forever to release a device if you want it to be 100% bug free - and by then, like the P990i, you begin to wonder if anyone will still want to buy it!
Jonathan Morris
Twitter @jmcomms
vicelord
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-21 14:50
mates....

I think the debate on which have the better camera is to have an actual print out of the pics......does anybody made this kind of comparison??? i'll try to have one and have it posted....
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-21 15:09
there's also BestPic which is one of the coolest features I've ever used.

Does K800 has sequence mode like S60? i.e. you depress and hold the shutter and the camera continuous take full-resolution pictures (at 1 photo per second) until you release the shutter. imo, this is more useful than taking 9 pictures at one go.

The problem with K800 is that it has "upsized" from K750 and N73 has "downsized" from N70. I think both phones are now more or less the same size and weight. But N73 can squeeze in a screen which is 40% bigger in terms of area. And not to mentioned the much better video recording and stereo speakers. I just think K800 is not a good buy at all given that its SIM-free price is quite close to N73.
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-21 18:24
Quote:
Does K800 has sequence mode like S60? i.e. you depress and hold the shutter and the camera continuous take full-resolution pictures (at 1 photo per second) until you release the shutter. imo, this is more useful than taking 9 pictures at one go.

You think taking a sequence of photos after the event is better than having 4 taken BEFORE you pressed the button?

Quote:
The problem with K800 is that it has "upsized" from K750 and N73 has "downsized" from N70. I think both phones are now more or less the same size and weight. But N73 can squeeze in a screen which is 40% bigger in terms of area.

But the resolution is the same, so do you want bigger pixels or more pixels? If the N73 had a VGA screen, it would be different.

Quote:
And not to mentioned the much better video recording and stereo speakers. I just think K800 is not a good buy at all given that its SIM-free price is quite close to N73.

The video recording on the K800 is definitely a waste of time (surely they could have squeezed in the graphics co-processor that allowed the W900i to do good video?) but while the stereo speakers are good, they're not that good that you can use it as a portable sound system!

I won't get involved in pricing, as the mass market will buy the phone on a contract. For SIM-free, most phones are very similar in pricing, with the high prices reflecting demand early on. They soon fall, and quite rapidly.
Jonathan Morris
Twitter @jmcomms
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-22 03:37
You think taking a sequence of photos after the event is better than having 4 taken BEFORE you pressed the button?

You are talking about an event that last 1-2 seconds and you want to capture the best picture (provided you can get your camera ready in time ).

I am thinking more of capturing every moment of an event (longer than 1-2 secs) by continuously snapping photos at 1 photo per sec for the duration of the event or as long as required.

vicelord
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-09-02 11:21
hiagain mates.......the stabilizer only works with video and not with photos....i think in the n73 it works on both......
i just hope that we could take more pics immediately one after the other instead of having to answer the options after each pic is taken
casperr
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-09-03 04:06
It is not true that K800i's camera is better than N73. I have used both and N73's pictures are almost always better than K800i, even when I have printed those pictures.

There is no comparison on this one, N73 wins in all aspects. The slight edge of K800's camera at night is not enough to say this is a better phone.

BTW, N73 is not a slow phone at all, I have used many phones including SE and Nokia and N73 is not slow at all, way way faster than N80.

The fact that it runs symbian OS, u can do much with it. K800i will eventually become a boring phone after a while, text, call, pictures and thats about it.

[ This Message was edited by: casperr on 2006-09-03 03:08 ]
QuickShare
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-09-03 04:18
tons and tons of discussion about N73 vs K800 which are better.. but in terms of what? didnt clarify it clear enough.. well, for me.. seriously i got to test it myself before giving any opinion about these phone.. cheers~
My Flickr Site..
Flickr.com
Most Popular Newbie 2006
crude75
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-09-03 04:56
I think the n73 is better, btw does the n73 support fullscreen wallpapers, when you set a picture as wallpaper does it show on the whole screen

This message was posted from a T290i
REO
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-09-03 05:06
@Casperr

You are absoloutely right, although I am a die hard fan, I remain unbiased when it comes to this comparison.

I have friends that have the N73 and others with theK800.

N73 blows away. Honestly does not have an answer for the N73 at this moment

N73 ( These were posted by an Esato member in a nother thread )

Macro

iphone rocks...
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-09-04 04:50
Definitely the N73 wins ! [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 272829  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic