Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Help wanted: Nokia N70 or SE K800?

Visitors browsing this topic: 2
Add to Bookmarks
Author Help wanted: Nokia N70 or SE K800?
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-12 10:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
What is really attractive with the N70 is the possibility of running a C64 emulator. It can do this because it has Symbian OS, and Frodo is available for the Symbian OS. K800 can only run J2ME stuff, and Frodo is not ported to J2ME.

But look what we found now...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jmec64/

A C64 emulator for J2ME, which in theory should run on the K800. I have just tested it on my W800i, and it runs very very very sloooooow, but it runs. So if the K800 is much faster than the W800, then maybe it'll work.

Anyone out there with
- a SE K800
- love for C64
- little experience with jar files
then try the JMEC64 project on your phone, and tell us how it works.

Here is a JAR file with the needed ROM files and the game FIREANT:
http://www.dewfall.dk/midp/JMEC64-0.9.7-bin.jar (146kb)

That would definitely make the K800 first choice, but there would have to be some power in the K800 for the emulator to run ok.
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-12 15:30
We’ve now had a chance to try out both the N70 and the K800, and she’s made a decision. Like BobaFett says, it’s really important to find out how it feels at usage.

It will be the K800 because, like shaliron says, the K800 certainly does beat the N70 in everything but the Symbian OS. We think the K800 has better controls and menu-system. And like Dogmann and brix25 says, the menus and apps open slow on the N70. The camera-slider on the N70 opens too easy in your pocket, which we also read on some other forum. The navigation-buttons (and buttons in general) are way too small on the N70, while the joystick on the K800 was really nice. I have personally never had any problems with the joystick solution on the SE phones. I’ve been using those ever since the T68i, but I know many people hate joystick-navigation. I just want to say that it’s easy to see that SE has significantly improved the joystick on the K800 compared to earlier models (though I’ve never had any problems with earlier models either). And finally, the K800 simply looks better and has an impressive screen.

We also tested the JMEC64 on the K800, which unfortunately doesn’t run fast enough, though much faster than on my W800i. So she’ll have to do without a C64 emulator for now.

Thanks for all help and feedback.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-12 15:46
det er i orden how did u like n70 btw?
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-12 15:49
Consider an N71. Almost same price, but a much better screen and camera
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-12 15:51
i wasnt really amazed of the clashall idea. next to it n71 runs the new symbian os, so not that many apps for it as for the n70

/// Ericsson Forum
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-12 15:54
QVGA: We can only get the N70 and K800 cheap, not the N71. So we had to choose between those two.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-12 16:01
well, on some way the k800 fits better dine veninde as i see.

/// Ericsson Forum
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-13 07:08
Quote:
the K800 certainly does beat the N70 in everything but the Symbian OS.

This is such an exageration by SE fans. Let's just take out-of-box functionality and see where N70 beats K800 hands down. I wont even mention add-on apps otherwise K800 have no where to hide.

- Much better video recording (K800 video record is really crap)
- Much bigger physical screen size
- much better PIMs like unlimited phonebook, calendar and of course the very useful active today screen.
- independent voice dialing. K800 is still using voice tags.
- better blog system which automatic log your activities like sms, image/video taking, notes & calendar entries and later allow you to sync to your PC/blog. K800 blog is so rudimentary compared to this.
- Nokia mobile-search - customised yellow pages capability. K800 dont have this.
- Yahoo Go and Google map pre-installed (may vary by region)
- PTT and EDGE support (K800 dont have this)
- video streaming via realplayer (K800 dont have this)
- much better multi-tasking (you can have any apps opened instead being restricted to java in K800)
- much better document handling capability (office docs, flash, pdf, web browser). K800 dont even come close.
- more jazzy gallery/image viewer (slideshow with music) and the movie editor thing.
- better profile system incl. going to offline mode without rebooting.
- much better theme system - you can change most of the UI unlike K800 which is restricted to certain aspect like wallpaper.
- unlimited sms storage

shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-08-13 07:23
@mib1800
But you've got to remember that many of those benefits are because of the fact that the N70 is a Symbian phone. Also, the screen may be bigger, but the K800's is better. Quality vs. Quantity.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-13 09:09
shaliron:

Quote:

But you've got to remember that many of those benefits are because of the fact that the N70 is a Symbian phone. Also, the screen may be bigger, but the K800's is better. Quality vs. Quantity.

These are advantages of N70 nonetheless. These are "out-of-box" advantages and it is not like u need to pay for it. So in a comparison you just cannot drop those advantages of N70 "just because they are brought about by Symbian". The fact that K800 is NOT symbian is already a huge disadvantage.

A bigger screen also improve the quality of viewing as well because it is less strainful to eyes and it allows for more text to be display. So it is not just quantity-vs-quality.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-13 09:09
U cannot say that n70 is better imo those fones are so 2 different and a symbian os is over the k800 os.

This message was posted from a WAP device

shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-08-13 09:18
@mib1800
Actually AFAIK, with increased resolution, you can display more text. It has nothing to do with size. The size of the screen means that the pixels are bigger, giving you larger text.

But at the risk of going off topic, ultimately it depends on how much your girlfriend treasures the Symbian benefits (of playing old games). Also, consider whether she wants to carry around the increased bulk of having the N70 over the K750.

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-13 09:54
mib1800:
- Much better video recording (K800 video record is really crap)
Well, yes. That’s true, but she doesn't care about video recording. She'd rather have a nice built-in camera, which the K800 does much better than the N70.
- Much bigger physical screen size
Yes, but with a lousy resolution at only 128x160 pixels, where the K800 has 240x320 pixels. We would rather have a smaller screen with a high resolution than a big screen with a poor resolution.
- much better PIMs like unlimited phonebook, calendar and of course the very useful active today screen.
I doubt it has better PIM. Been using the SE systems for years, and it has never failed me in anything – except in the beginning where you couldn’t add a birthday of a person.
- independent voice dialing. K800 is still using voice tags.
Not sure what you mean here, but it sounds like something we’ll never use.
- better blog system which automatic log your activities like sms, image/video taking, notes & calendar entries and later allow you to sync to your PC/blog. K800 blog is so rudimentary compared to this.
This “feature” is also what is making the N70 incredible slow, from what I can understand when reading comments from N70 users.
- Nokia mobile-search - customised yellow pages capability. K800 dont have this.
We don’t think it’s that much trouble to enter the URL of a similar site.
- Yahoo Go and Google map pre-installed (may vary by region)
Again, inputting an URL isn’t that difficult.
- PTT and EDGE support (K800 dont have this)
Useless to us since we don’t use EDGE in Denmark. However, should you wish to have EDGE you can go for the K790 which is the same model as the K800, except K800 has UMTS and K790 has EDGE.
- video streaming via realplayer (K800 dont have this)
Not needed. Personally I have never liked Realplayer, and playing mp4 files is fine with me.
- much better multi-tasking (you can have any apps opened instead being restricted to java in K800)
True, but this is because of the Symbian OS. And I already said that the N70 does beat the K800 with the Symbian features.
- much better document handling capability (office docs, flash, pdf, web browser). K800 dont even come close.
True, but don’t underestimate Java. Even the K750 is considered to almost be a PDA nowadays, because of the Java capabilities. For an example, check out www.nav4all.com which is a navigation system with GPS support.
- more jazzy gallery/image viewer (slideshow with music) and the movie editor thing.
SE has had a very nice movie-editor since the W800. I doubt they have removed it in the K800. However, more jazzy or not is most likely a matter of taste.
- better profile system incl. going to offline mode without rebooting.
True, if the N70 can do that. However, it’s pretty useless to me since I’ve never had to do that.
- much better theme system - you can change most of the UI unlike K800 which is restricted to certain aspect like wallpaper.
You mean you can change a font color without loading a new theme? I suppose that could be useful yes. However, whenever I’ve stumbled into a theme I wanted to change a bit, I’ve just used a theme-editor on the PC. It's not something that makes me prefer the N70.
- unlimited sms storage
This could be useful yes, not being forced to delete messages because storage is full. But it’s not a big deal. Because I’m using tools such as MyPhoneExplorer and Float’s Mobile Agent, I’ve rarely manage to fill up sms storage.

shaliron:
But at the risk of going off topic, ultimately it depends on how much your girlfriend treasures the Symbian benefits (of playing old games). Also, consider whether she wants to carry around the increased bulk of having the N70 over the K750.
Correct. And she didn’t need that much time to decide which phone she preferred, after having seen them both in action. I must admit I expected a little more from the N70 too, and the Symbian features really attracted me. But that's simply not enough with all the cons it has. My opinion.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-13 13:34
shaliron
with increased resolution, you can display more text. It has nothing to do with size. The size of the screen means that the pixels are bigger, giving you larger text.

Yes. But then you have to strain your eyes to see the text in small screen

mr_lou:

N70 has 176X208 resolution.

So if you want to compare based on personal preferences then yeah any thing goes as long as your heart desires.

BUT I think it is just pure hypocritical for someone (refering to general sense) to say N70 is inferior to K800 "just because you dont need those functions". . Just imaging if I say K800 is inferior to N70 because I don't prefer that stupid hump at the back of K800. What would your reaction be?

Even the K750 is considered to almost be a PDA nowadays

Are you kidding? Java can do ziltch except for games. I think you have no idea what some of the Symbian apps can do. Java is just very far from useful or no developer is attempting to develop more advance apps for this platform which comes to same thing.

[ This Message was edited by: mib1800 on 2006-08-13 12:39 ]
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-08-13 14:31
@mib1800
I don't think that anyone's calling the N70 inferior to the K800. It's just that in this particular situation, the K800 is more suitable. Like Bobafett said, they're both different phones.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi