Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Fellow P990i owners, please share your thoughts & experiences so far with the phone.

12  Next
Author Fellow P990i owners, please share your thoughts & experiences so far with the phone.
mikaljan
K850 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-10 20:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
After playing with my P990i for the past couple days, I have few things I want to share and point out to my fellow friends here at esato:

(1) I am pretty disappointed about the performance of Opera. When it is opened, it greatly slows down the entire phone, and I've had a few occasions where the phone freeze for a long time when I try to multitask with Opera opened. If I have to reset the phone everytime after I finish using the Opera browser, to be able to use other programs smoothly, it totally makes the phone useless!

(2) Playing music via bluetooth (A2DP) while surfing the web with Opera sounds like fun right? WRONG!! Music transmitted from my P990i was intermitting, I can't believe something so basic couldn't be handled.

(3) Battery life, another issue I am not satisfied with, the battery life drains alot faster than my P910i, I would say under normal usage, I'd have to charge the phone every night, I thought SE is the king of power efficiency, what happened here?

(4) I really wished they had upgrade the 802.11b to a 802.11g. The Wifi receiption when compared to my laptop is not as good (my laptop is fitted with 802.11g.)

In conclusion, I think the problem with P990i is because of this:
P990i Hardware was designed 2 years ago, back then a phone with 64MB of RAM was probably thought to be enough by the engineers at SE, however, as UIQ 3 progress, it became more memory hungry, Sony Ericsson never went back and redesigned the hardware by increasing the RAM size to accommodate the OS. P990i is only left with less than 15MB after a fresh reboot!! Just Horrible! The phone supposed to be released long time ago, but all the delays outdated the hardware! I would compare the feeling I have with the phone right now to like running Windows XP with only 128MB of RAM installed. Small programs are okay, but running Opera just kills all the fun.

"Outdated hardware on memory hungry OS" - IMO

As a friendly advise, I honestly suggest you guys to hold on to your money until either Sony Ericsson has worked out the problem either by making the OS consume less memory to free up more RAM, or somehow make Opera multitaskable with other programs. At current state, I wouldn't recommand my friends to spend the money yet. Maybe the next P-series is already at work, to be released soon. I would suggest wait a little bit and see how things turn out before tossing in your hard earn money like I did. I really think hardware-wise, it's memory deficient!

Fellow P990i owners, share your thoughts please...

[ This Message was edited by: mikaljan on 2006-08-10 21:38 ]
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2006-08-10 20:03
Firstly. Congrats on your new phone , but this kind of discussion could be kept to the p990 thread. :-) ( maybe someone who isn't wapping could post a link )

This message was posted from a WAP device

PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-10 20:12
agree with dicky here, this can be posted in the p990 thread. However, thanks for the update.
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-10 21:21
@mikaljan

#2 - web browsing and HBH-DS970 works fine on the M600 so it will be possible on the P990 with refined Opera s/w

#4 the P990 is not a laptop. My Dell desktop is much faster on the same wireless broaband than my Vaio laptop - both have 802.11g.

I will get a P990 as I know that SE will fix the s/w problems, as they did with the P800 and P9xx. SE have a better track record than some other companies I could mention...

[ This Message was edited by: Jah on 2006-08-10 20:23 ]
Spawn
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-10 21:42
My opinion is that alot of people and i mean a hell of alot of people have been waiting for this phone for a very long time. From what i have been reading from various forums around the net, it seems that alot of these people will live with the niggless that the p990 may have or may not have. I know i will, i still remember the 10 min crashes i used to have on my p800 but yet i still stuck with it till i replaced it with the p900...even that crashed like a drunk driver every now and again but as Jah said SE put out firmware updates quite often and to me thats the major selling point....plus its something you can do yourself.

Take nokia for instance, i went from SE to their s60 devices and my god were they truly truly awful devices i found. The firsst one i had 6680 was slower than a donkey and wound me up to no end. Currently sitting in its box gathering dust as it hasnt been used for quite some time...in fact even my mum said it was a terrible phone and she aint even techno savvy . Then earlier this year i saw the n80 and i thought my god..forget the p990i this should be the phone to end all phones...but did it??...nope again an awful device, slow and very buggy which i could live with but i found it generally a hard phone to get on with so off it went back for a refund only after a days use. Also my major gripe with Nokia is that yes they do firmware updates but you have to go into a nokia serrvice centre to do them...and that for me totally put me off nokia.

So off i go back to SE and got the w810i which is an awesome phone and now i have a new k800i which again is another awesome phone. Yes they do have their niggles but they are lovely phones compared to what nokia have released lately.

Now im waiting for the p990i and i know ill be able to make do with its shortcomings because SE will invariably fix these teething problems.

As i said before alot of people have been waiting for over a yr for this phone and i cant see them turning around and saying nah its not a good phone as everyone seems to be aware that it will have its problems much like the m600i...which incidentally i did have but sent it back as i needed a phone first then a pda and the p990i fits that spot perfectly.
mikaljan
K850 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-10 22:35

@Spawn

Aren't we all just addicted to the P-series, dispite all the niggles?
Although I gave some suggestions above, but I don't know if I would listen to myself have I not gotten the phone yet.

leprechaun
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-10 22:54
Quote:

On 2006-08-10 20:00:26, mikaljan wrote:
(4) I really wished they had upgrade the 802.11b to a 802.11g. The Wifi receiption when compared to my laptop is not as good (my laptop is fitted with 802.11g.)

802.11g wouldn't improve reception very much, main limitation is smaller antenna (in comparison with laptop)

[ This Message was edited by: leprechaun on 2006-08-10 22:00 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-11 00:23
Hi Spawn,
i agree with some of what you say but not all, how can it be alright for SE to release phones that from day 1 require numerous firmware updates just to function properly. Yes S60 phones where quite a lot slower at opening apps but the PC suite is lightning fast in comparison to Use. When my P910i stopped synching with outlook and after uninstalling and re installing the PC suite numerous time and SE support could offer no help i changed to an N70 my first Nokia for longer than i can even remember push e-mail with Yahoo Go and easy to set other mail accounts. I now have a N73 S60 3rd edition, the menus and apps response is fast as is the PC suite and the only thing i miss a little is a touchscreen which i can live with. I was going to get an M600i but after all the feedback about memory shortage plus all the other problems decided against, to be honest it is going to take something very special to get me to return to SE if ever.

Marc
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-11 00:30
@Dogmann

Series 60 3rd ed devices only have 2 or 3mb RAM more on start than the M600. The web browser at least on the N93 seems to use all the available RAM, you don't get this problem with the M600. And as you know, with SE (and WM5) you can update the firmware without having to visit a service centre. Finally, when devices are new people do tend to focus on the probelms/faults but as I said before SE do have a track record of sorting problems. However, having owned many Nokia phones (9500, 9300, 7710*2) I agree that Nokia's PC Suite is very stable and quick.

[ This Message was edited by: Jah on 2006-08-10 23:31 ]
darky
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-11 01:58
the whole inudstry is a joke, like someone mentioned somewhere else in the forums, when you buy a digital camera everything works out of the box you don't go to service centers or hook it up and download and upgrade firmware (of which 50% OF THE TIME DOES NOT WORK ) and then fixes something and screws something else,

I have a sony F-828 camera I bought it at around 1000$ at the time including a 1 gb harddisk, 128 mb memory stick, leather case, uv lens and some other goodies, it has not failed me since, battery life is legendary as I can take at least 1000 8 mp pics before I need to recharge (with flash) it records 640x480 mpg video at 30 fps and looks wonderful has more options then you can imagine inculding shutter speed, tv out, nightvision, 7.1x optical zoom among others and the menus are fast and stable,

why can't sony put the same detication in 1 mobile phone,
I tend to prefer sony ericsson over other mobile brands but let's face it paying 1000$ + on a phone that's 1 year old and still has serious issues is a joke,

and the funniest thing is you can't even buy it yet even if you wanted to

I"m getting a tytn till a new decent phone comes along
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-08-11 02:48
@darky

you need to remember a mobile phone or PDA is a computer. I use a PC with XP on it and every few weeks there are updates to the OS. Now the problem with 'bugs' and fixes apples all the best systems inc. Macs. The best PDA I used was a Psion 5 and 5MX. These were solid but at the end of the day much simplier than today generation of mobile devices, like the Nokia 9500 (which is based on the Psion). We can have rock solid devices but they will take much longer to come to market and unfortunately M$ have set the trend of releasing products before they are ready and the rest of the software industry now seems to do the same. The P990/M600 should be contrasted with Ercisson's first Smartphone the R380 - now given that was the first and I mean the first it was a very solid and well engineered device.
Join the 'dots' and see what happens
mikaljan
K850 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-11 07:14
@ darky

I'm pondering if I should also get a HTC Tytn... Seems like alot of people here might end up with both phones
darky
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-11 16:06
@Jah

I know but I have a pc which is a computer and a laptop which also is and it's full of addon cards and devices and they both have less issues than my k750

you can't compare a mobile phone to a pc or laptop as the pc and laptop use softwae that is 'compatible' there are thousands of devices and pheriphals for the pc/ laptop out there with different drivers, products, compatibility, so when you install windows on a machine it is working with a lot of different products from different companies who haven't even tested their items with everything out there but should technicaly work because of software compatibility,

with a phone or pda the company is producing the software or using premade and designing it 'tailoring' it specifically for their product as that phone/pda's hardware is NOT gonna change and they know every single decive in their phone, you can compare it to a game made for a console system i.e. ps2 or ds lite it should work flawlessly, whereas on a pc it will work on better supported/ better hardware computers than it does on others.

I am a software programmer and trust me when I say their programmers suck

even with Java / wifi / opera / etc other specs all these come as standards so they are not the ones with the issues it's the base that's tying them all together that has issues

if your sofwtare engineers suck fire them and get compotent ones S.E. lol, we're all depending on you ;D

[ This Message was edited by: darky on 2006-08-11 15:07 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-11 22:18
Hi all
sorry forgot to say on the N73 the browser is not Opera but aversion of Safari with some pretty neat tricks for for viewing and scrolling web pages and so far no lack of ram problems even with pictures.
The reason i decided against the M600 was purely down to the fact that i refuse to pay and be a beta tester i demand a product that works without the need to constantly be reset or upgrade firmware. But until everyone else only accepts the same this will never change and the phone manufacturers will continue to abuse their customers. Brand loyalty should be earned with the service they provide not a given.

Marc
Wam7
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-12 02:31
@mikaljan

Thanks for your comments, I am glad you didn't put it in the monster P990! Have any of your observations changed or been reinforced since you first posted? I will be one going for a TyTN as it's the best device for my needs.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi