Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > K800i Speaker problem!

Previous  12
Author K800i Speaker problem!
DrAzEn
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-03 15:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
So strange
I went to the local service and a person which works there just took a look at my phone. Knocked easily few times with finger-nail around speaker and IT WORKS AGAIN

WTF is this?
at least I can talk normaly on it again!
DrAzEn
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-03 15:30
So strange
I went to the local service and a person which works there just took a look at my phone. Knocked easily few times with finger-nail around speaker and IT WORKS AGAIN

WTF is this?
hanugro
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-06 11:09
Quote:

On 2006-12-31 12:15:51, DrAzEn wrote:
Your phone already has the latest software!

is message I received trying to update
Is there any other way to update SW beside this: Search for update

What is the ver of your current firmware/EROM? You last post is R1CB which is very old firmware. Ask the service centre to update your firmware anyway.
El_Coyote
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-01-16 22:12
I really doubt any kind of firmware update will help.
Its rather a bad connection on the speaker since tapping it can temporarily fix it.
tapping doesnt fix firmwares
Stellatech
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-21 13:08
if service won`t help you and you are sure its not a sw damage, you can try to open it and look if the conatcts are on the right position. If speaker is damaged--> we have also new speaker for it.

just look at my homepage or send email to me , we have many spareparts for mobile phones like lcd`s, flexcable, speakers, micros ...
fweijers
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-07-17 12:29
@ the guys who's speaker no longer works:

I had the same problem, after I opened my K800i. I wanted to repair the joystick for it would only move the cursor in 2 directions instead of all four ..
So I opened the phone, tinkered around with the keypad and joystick (this is working now again, thank god), but after closing up i found that the speaker was dead. I mean the speaker where you put your ear against when someone calls you
So I opened it up again, and I found that two small copper pieces which lead to the ear-speaker were bent. So I fixed that to make contact again and now everything works.
Hope this helps.
taniame
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-12 22:03
Dude, i have the exactly same problem

the earpiece/internal speaker does not work while external speaker and handsfree works fine

by tapping the phone, it will work again. LOL

On 2007-01-03 15:24:27, DrAzEn wrote:
So strange

WTF is this?
bernardford
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-02-16 19:46
any one having problem with rear speaker on sony ericsson only workin if put pressure over speaker remove rear cover of phone with a very small star head scwrew driver and get a little piece of card board and stick it just beside the speaker and put cover back on this will fix the problem as i have just done
k800earpiece
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-13 21:49
Hi.

This message is intended for those of you with a k800i, and the tempramental fault with the internal speaker (namely it cuts out and you end up making all your phone calls on the speaker phone, or squeezing / tapping / banging the case to make it work again).

I was prepared for this repair to take a couple of hours. It took a couple of minutes. (hence spare time to post this, and hopefully help someone out) All I regret is not doing the job sooner. Incidentally - I returned the phone to sony who claimed this fault was "Water Damage", and I payed for th privelidge of getting my phone back - now THATS customer service!!! This was total BS - its poor design- although I am grateful that the speaker was so accessable in the end & I didnt have to dismantle the entire phone. Anyway.. read on....

You will need:
One Torx (6 I think) screwdriver,
One phillips screwdriver.
Finger nails / flat plastic (top open case)
I brought a kit on ebay for a fiver...(this was overkill as it turned out)

Photos I've referred to are HERE:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[....]ent=1#comment72157605043074469

1) Clear work area. Wash hands. DRY HANDS! Ground yourself if possible (I grabbed a tap immediately prior to sitting down) to avoid possible static damage to components (not really a problem, as you barely get to touch the circuit boards)

2) Remove Battery, SIM and memory card etc. (See photo 1)

3) Play about with the memory hole cover- note how the rubber flap comes through a hole in the casing (this will help later)

4) Undo the 2 Torx screws at the bottom of the phone, and the 2 Phillips in the middle.

5) Gently pry away the remaining back section of the phone around the sides with finger nails / guitar plectrum. I found the top released last - best done in a pivoting motion about the top of the phone. (plenty of videos on YTube etc. / other instructional sites with photos if you're nervous about this (I was!)

6) Undo 2 screws at top of the back of the phone (see photo 2).

7) Here's the tricky(ish) part. You need to essentially remove the electric phone bit from the front of the case by bending the sides of the case outwards such that the phone can drop free with a little persuasion. NB- As those of you who bothered with step 3 will note, it won't come completely away (As some other posts on the web suggest) as the memory card cover holds the two bits together. Again, plenty of videos / tutorials about if you search

You should now be in a position to access the back of the front case cover (see photo 3). There are two contacts sticking out here for the earpiece, which meet 2 gold square contacts on the phones PCB (circuit board). These are the source of your earpiece woes!

9) Bend these contacts back away from the casing a little bit, such that they can reach the contacts on the PCB more easily. Thats the fix! All you need to do now is reassemble. Make sure you still have all your buttons in place (I had a little difficulty because the camera button fell out) before you screw it all back together. Test all the buttons...

10) Useful tip- you can test the earpiece using the factory test menu rather than repeatedly calling your answerphone. See video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKDwjuf0Iw
(thats R*LL*L*)

Bingo! Have a beer, switch back to PAYG and save a ton on overpriced contracts with your fully functional free phone...

Incidentally, I was quoted £40 by a high street shop to carry out this repair....

sabret00the
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-05-16 23:54
@ k800earpiece : Thanks a lot for the tute.
beikul
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-11-11 22:06
@k800earpiece: had to register just to say thanks for your post. Had the earpiece problem with my K800i and, following your instructions, it's now fixed and I'm very happy
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2009-12-05 07:05
Thank god my k800i doesnt have problems even it dropped 46 inches high on a solid tile whew!
"You don't need a reason to help people"
-Nokia N82 5.0MP Carl Zeiss Optics
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi