Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > A date for your calendar - Symbian Smartphone show 2006

Author A date for your calendar - Symbian Smartphone show 2006
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 16:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Posting from the show

In summary, SE, UIQ and Symbian don't seem to really appreciate the difficulties we are suffering with the P990 and M600. A UIQ technical person said he would pursue the issue of memory leaks and a Symbian person I spoke said they would look at how they can interface with the user community as they do with the developers.

No firm info on the week 48 upgrade.

Navicore now have UIQ3 version of their application.

Couldn't get the Nokia people to tell me how much RAM the N95 has

Next year we need greater user representation here. It is very interesting to meet people and discuss our views and perspectives.

As Masseur predicted no new news from SE, who were actually sharing a stand with UIQ!

The ladies at Black Berry were lovely
liamski
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 16:51

This is a question, rather than a criticism....

WHY didnt anyone compile all the major software issues / bugs we've been reporting here, print them out and take several copies to the show to give to SE / UIQ? These people probably wont act without hard evidence of issues, so it may have made sense to show the depth of feeling out there in the user community, ie: here on Esato

Could anyone going along tomorrow do the honours?

Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 16:57
@liamski

I thought about compliing a list but it is a difficult task as it depends on the FW version etc. Also I felt the memory problems were to common to all users.

By the way SE have given me the Generic World FW for my Vodafone P990
Join the 'dots' and see what happens
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 17:17
@Jah

So it seems like a dissapointing response from them really...

Nice one on the Generic FW for your Voda one tho!
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 17:22
Quote:

On 2006-10-17 17:17:01, Caspa wrote:
@Jah

So it seems like a dissapointing response from them really...

Nice one on the Generic FW for your Voda one tho!

We must remember that the SE UIQ development teams are tiny in size compared to Nokia teams for S60
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 19:10
Hi Jah,
Your quote of
"In summary, SE, UIQ and Symbian don't seem to really appreciate the difficulties we are suffering with the P990 and M600. A UIQ technical person said he would pursue the issue of memory leaks and a Symbian person I spoke said they would look at how they can interface with the user community as they do with the developers. "

Sorry but this above statement beggars belief, what do they think they have done created perfect devices with a few niggles do they. It is very obvious that what ever testing they did do was only ever single apps at a time so of course they experienced very little problems. With SE support phones ringing of the hook with problems how come no feedback has reached SE, UIQ or Symbian they know what problems there are as they keep releasing upgrades with fixes for what they can fix. They have many people with alleged connections to people who count yet claim they are unaware sorry but that is the lamest rubbish i have ever heard.

Missed the show today as had to go to the Dr's for an appointment this afternoon. But should i make it tomorrow anyone giving me an answer as stupid as above will be greeted by hysterical laughter and derision as is deserved IMO. These wishy washy answers are pathetic and an insult to our intelligence and all this on the day some Symbian nut is predicting the end of the PC to be replaced by Smartphones what a great world it would be if all we had was smartphones NOT.

Marc
Blackberry Bold, V4.6.0.214, 8GB SDHC, Pin2553F455
Honoured to have Won Best Debater for the 2nd Year
has33
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 19:12
Quote:

On 2006-10-17 16:44:51, Jah wrote:
Posting from the show

The ladies at Black Berry were lovely

I thought U were going 2 share

On a serious note...as an Esato (world wide users) representative, could U please explain 2 those "tiny" SE UIQ development teams, the need of an EDGE enabled UIQ device in the countries without 3G.
The only reason 4 me and a lot of others like me 2 seek those, comparatively "large" S60 & WM5 based handsets. [addsig]
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 22:11
As promised, pics from the Symbian Smartphone Show.
(excuse the iffy pic quality.)

Excel Arena entrance:

Next up is this 3G Symbian slider handset from LG, called the JOY...oh hell, I hope they change the name before its official market launch next year...
Will run on Symbian 9.2. It has a 2mp camera at the back, expandable memory, etc. Didn't see a flash for the camera though.

Ah, so! One of the highlights for me; a very rare opportunity to try out some WORKING Jap market DoCoMo network cellphones!!

Err..what have I pressed..?

Oops...now what..?

The future's bright with this one:

Banner on the way out: Same time, same place next year.

Will post pics of the exhibits and other related stuff in due course.
He who laughs last... thinks slowest.
Nokia 5800, Sony Ericsson P1i, Nokia 7600.
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 22:27
More pics:

amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 22:34
...and yet more:

amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 22:56
More...:

The SE and UIQ stand:

Crap pic...the mega-standby time O2 Jet:

Samsung i320 smartphone: Oh, by the way, those gold wrappers in the background were freebie 'Organic Dark Chocolate...!'

The 7710:

[ This Message was edited by: amawanqa on 2006-10-18 12:11 ]
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 22:58
People, I can only report what was discussed.

Please note:

1. 4 of the 5 people I spoke to from UIQ/SE/Symbian had only been employed by their comapnies for 2 years or less
2. Only one of the 5 people I spoke to had owned & used the P910 so had a benchmark that we understand for stable SE devices
3. Being abusive to SE/UIQ staff will not help. Lets give them factual and detail descriptions of the problems. They want to do a good job just like most people
4. We use these devices in different ways to these developer-users, they had not appreciated that we would run Media Player, ActiveSync & web all at the same time etc.

Please visit Excel tomorrow and speak to the people on the UIQ/SE and Symbian stands. And next year we need more user representation.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but its been a long day...

[ This Message was edited by: Jah on 2006-10-17 22:01 ]
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 23:02
How's this for a neat freebie from the show:
Smartphone trump cards!

robinho10
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-10-17 23:53
If someone is heading there tomorrow, could you see if you can get that se key cord.. have always wanted one and would appreciate it if someone could fix me one.. im willing to pay for the costs to send it.. pm me if you would like to help..

Greetz

[ This Message was edited by: robinho10 on 2006-10-17 23:55 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-10-18 02:08
Hi Jah,
It is still my intention to attend tomorrow and i wouldn't be rude or aggressive to any members of the staff, but from the additional info you have posted just how bad is that? No one with any real experience of the products they are representing and what appears to be confirmation that they assumed we were only going to use one maybe 2 apps at a time. I am sorry but in my book this just is not good enough WM5 won't kill Symbian at this rate its committing suicide.

Marc
Blackberry Bold, V4.6.0.214, 8GB SDHC, Pin2553F455
Honoured to have Won Best Debater for the 2nd Year
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic