Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > SE HBH-GV435

123  Next
Author SE HBH-GV435
jadler
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-17 20:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I bought this Bluetooth headset a few hours ago, still charging it. Will get back with report on my experience with it.

It comes with a special mains charger, basically half the connector of the phone charger, but it can use phone charger too. Included charger does not stay in contact perfectally, sensitive to position.

Did not autopair with my K800i, had to initiate pairing on phone, no PIN needed though,

Ought to charge over night, then test it some. Will get back later.

Johan Adler
Sweden
Johan Adler, Stockholm, Sweden
photo blog, K800i
=johan.adler
contact page
SL33PYH34D
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-07-17 21:27
Quote:

On 2006-07-17 20:14:00, jadler wrote:
[...]Did not autopair with my K800i, had to initiate pairing on phone, no PIN needed though[...]

In my experience that in fact all the auto-pairing feature does. You always have to initiat pairing on the phone, and select the device to pair with. On my W900i, W810i and M600i it would then ask yif you want to autopair with the headset. So in other words the only thing the autopairing actually does it saves you having to enter a PIN. Pretty pointless IMO.

Incidently, got a HBH-G435 myself a couple of weeks ago and I've been really impressed with it so far. Call quality is second to none, the volume and specifically the auto-volume works brilliantly and the battery life seems very good too. This is with my M600i
jadler
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-17 23:24
OK, my impression of autopairing, from the so called manual (piece of crap, actually, does not say anything useful) and from SE's marketing hype, was that you initiate auto pairing on the headset, it then connects to the phone and you accept the connection on the phone. No such luck.

I also noticed that it is only possible to pair it with one device at the time. Not just that one device can be connected, but it can actually only be paired with one device! That feels a bit 20th century to me. I want to use it with my phone, and sometimes with my computer for Skype &c, but to do that I will have to repair it each time. Even my, otherwise useless (and now broken) Bluespoon Digital that I bought more than 2½ years ago could manage more than one pairing.

So you got yours a few weeks ago? On SE's website they changed status from 'coming soon' just yesterday. I thought it might have been released today.

Does your 'half phone' charger connect properly? Mine does not, no contact if you touch the cable or the headset. Charges just fine in the CDS-60 table stand, though. I don't know if I should return the 'half' charger and have it exchanged.

Tried the GV435 on, feels comfortable but might be more comfortable for someone not using glasses. Maybe I should have gone for the IV835. I hope it will not be a problem.

Regards,
Johan
Johan Adler, Stockholm, Sweden
photo blog, K800i
=johan.adler
contact page
SL33PYH34D
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-07-18 03:08
Yeah got mine from Expansys - actually just checked and it was right at the begining of July, so not as long as I thought.

IMO the SE Autopairing feature is vastly overhyped - as I say all it really does is to negate the need to enter a PIN when pairing, although if the headset it is pairing mode it may well find other devices which are set to visible, but since I never have any BT device set to visible as standard its a moot point.

Had no problems with the supplied half fastport charger making good contact on mine.

As it happens I also have an HBH-IV835, and I MUCH prefer the 435 - firstly you don't practically need a stylus to operate the buttons because they are so small, and second it is missing any sort of manual volume adjustment. Personally speaking I didn't like the comfort of the 835 either - none of the three supplied ear buds gave both a comfortable and secure fit.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-07-22 01:05
A friend from SE gave me the HBH-GV435 and I must say it is a very interesting departure from SE. They tend to stick with what works. They shape, design, etc.... of this thing is a bit radical for them. However, that being said, the sound quality is very good. I would say even better than my Plantronics 640 which up till now was the best BT headset I have ever used. I have not tried the multiple pairings yet but as a Mac user, BT pairings tend to be a bit more straight forward than on Windows (no flames please, just stating a fact), and the connections a bit more stable.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
aka Dus
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-22 13:15
Well, the thing with auto pairing is supposed to be that when the BT is turned on on your headset, and you turn on the BT headset for the first time, it pairs.

That's what my GV435 did anyway.

As for multiple pairings, I dunno but if you add it as a device to all you phones then connecting to it isn't that big a deal.

SL33PYH34D
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-07-22 16:26
Quote:

On 2006-07-22 13:15:45, aka Dus wrote:
Well, the thing with auto pairing is supposed to be that when the BT is turned on on your headset, and you turn on the BT headset for the first time, it pairs.[...]

Thats all very well if you leave your BT set as visible. For obvious reasons I don't so the auto-pairing feature is IMO next to useless.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-07-22 17:36
Quote:

On 2006-07-22 16:26:51, SL33PYH34D wrote:
Quote:

Well, the thing with auto pairing is supposed to be that when the BT is turned on on your headset, and you turn on the BT headset for the first time, it pairs.[...]

Thats all very well if you leave your BT set as visible. For obvious reasons I don't so the auto-pairing feature is IMO next to useless.

I just did a test of the auto-pairing feature and it worked as advertised. I turned on the phone, and headset and a few seconds later it seemed to pair. Maybe my version has newer software inside.

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-07-23 22:09
Quote:

Well, the thing with auto pairing is supposed to be that when the BT is turned on on your headset, and you turn on the BT headset for the first time, it pairs.

That's what my GV435 did anyway.

As for multiple pairings, I dunno but if you add it as a device to all you phones then connecting to it isn't that big a deal.

You are incorrect here mate. Adding it to all your phones will not allow it to connect to them at different times. Once you make a pairing, it lives with that one device until you pair it again to another device.

sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-07-24 01:30
Just a quick note fellow HBH-GV435 users. It seems that the stupid headset can only connect to one device at a time. Confirmed by an SE colleague. If you pair it to one device, such as a computer (me with my Mac), it will pair with a phone but not connect to it as the headset is homed to the computer. You will have to do a re-pairing to the phone and lose the pairing to the computer.

Isn't this the 21st century?

blasjw
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-24 04:53
You're right. SE is definitely taking a step backwards. Any current Bluetooth headset should be able to pair with more than one device. IMHO, if it can't do that it's not even worth buying. I have two phones I use regularly and sometimes I use a bluetooth headset with my PC for Skype, etc. Anyway, I compiled a list for another thread of which recent headsets can multi-pair and which can't. Unfortunately, the only new one that can that also has confirmed Bluetooth 2.0 is the HBH-IV835. Unfortunately, I've heard other complaints about this headset including comfortablity and it not staying put. Personally, I prefer the traditional designs with the hook over the ear. I'm pretty happy with my HBH-662 and I recently picked up an HBH-PV700. I wanted to get something with Bluetooth 2.0 but, since they don't publish the Bluetooth version for the HBH-PV700 I suspect it's only 1.2. However, at least it can multi-pair and it's not a funky design. Plus, the blue ones are going for only $30 which is a bargain. It works just as good as the HBH-662 in my opinion. The minor downsides are that the ear hook doesn't flip out making it more difficult to take on/off, it doesn't have a display (I really don't use the display on the HBH-662 anyway), and it is a tad larger than the 662. Anyway, enough of my rambling. Here's the list I've compile regarding multi-pairing.

HBH-PV705: Yes.

HBH-GV435: No.

HBH-DS970: No - only one device can be paired in single point mode and calls can only be handled by that device. Multi-point mode is only for A2DP profile to stream high quality audio.

HBH-IV835: Yes.

HBH-610a: No.

HBH-PV700: Yes.

HBH-610: No.

HBH-608: Yes.

HBH-662: Yes.

HBH-660: No.

[ This Message was edited by: blasjw on 2006-07-24 03:56 ]
michael the mage
Z800
PM
Posted: 2006-07-24 07:20
Got mine now too. Have to say however, I am very disappointed with this headset. The so called Digital Sound sucks! I have a Z800i and the HBH662 is Heaven compared to the gv435!

The connection to the phone is not more stable at all. Voice commands are mostly to repeat 2 or more times, same as with the 662. Especially in noisy environment its just the same.

Then, you HAVE TO stick this little earpiece into your ear!!! Otherwise the volume is hard to hear! Its also very uncomfortable compared to the hbh662 that won't stick into your ear!

Don't know exactly WHY the people at SE did make the rear part that goes behind the ear, so big! After waring the headset a while, you ear stands apart from your head for sure!

I will most likely sell it and keep to my hbh 662.

Regards
trance
K610 silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-24 13:08
i agree, my hbh 660 is way better than this headset.. i returned the headset the next day...
--> Daily Mobile <---
www.dailymobile.se
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-07-24 14:35
It seems we all agree that SE shot themselves in the foot. I can see two developers standing there saying: "I thought you designed the ability to connect to more than one phone and the other guy saying, I thought you did it".

Oh well.

sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-07-24 17:34
Quick question for the headset guys here.

Is your HBH-GV435 disconnecting from your phone? I have a k800i and from time to time it will simply disconnect. I do not know if this is a battery saving thing or just crappy BT software at play.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi