Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Killed a MP3 Player!

Author Killed a MP3 Player!
Frubin
HTC Desire
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-09 19:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I am writing this in behalf of a friend who i think has "killed" her MP3 player!

She brought a Venturer 40GB HDD digital Player from Argos in May 2006. She has been using it in the PC though the USB cable to rip all her CD's into MP3/WMA format and it been working ok and had no problems since she brought it. She been following the stated instructions in the manual making sure when she is transfering music via her PC she "safely removes the hardware" from Windows XP and listens to her music on the player untill the battery discharges and switches off before she puts it on charge again to fully charge it again (to fully cycle the battery).

She was in a rush and her player battery was one bar so decided to put it on charge and plugged in what she thought was the MP3 charger already plugged in the main (it had the same plug) and player momenteraly switched on/light up and then went off. She noticed it was not charging and went to check if the connections on the player as well as the mains and its then she only noticed that it was her Nokia 3310/3330 charger plugged in her player! She removed it from the charger mains straight away and tried to power up but it will not power on.

I have no idea about voltage but could it be that the voltage of the Nokia charger was too high for the player causing it overload and "frazzle" the player/circuits? The information she gave me of player voltage is AC Adaptor DC 5.0v; Power Supply Built-in Rechargable Battery Capacity 1100mAh. She used a Nokia charger that stated Input: 230V~10%/50HZ/21mA/4.3VA; Output: 3.7Vm/355mA.

She has tried to reset the player but its still dead. She is quite upset as she lost nearly 18GB of music which is stored on the player!

Is there anything she can do or is that the end of her MP3 player?

Regards,

[ This Message was edited by: Frubin on 2006-07-09 20:06 ]
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-09 20:20
ok well the player is probally dead. If you want I can recover most of the music from it though?
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
I will honor Laffens gift of P990 flip free avartar, but I sold the p990
Frubin
HTC Desire
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-09 21:02
@ Luke-the-magic-man: Thanks for the offer. I suggested to my friend to email the Venturer technical support team and explain the problem to them, but obviously do not mention that she plugged in a Nokia charger in the device as she will be realiable for the damage (if any) to the device!

I told her just to say that she had no previous problems with the device untill now when she plugged the charger in to charge the device and it momentarly switched on/lit up then switched off. Then to say she noticed it was not charging and when taking it off the main charge to try to switch it on, it would not power on. She has to wait and see what the techncial support teams says/suggests.

She also has purchased a Product replacement cover with her MP3 player that will cover her device up to 3 years from breakdown so as a last resort she can use that to exchange the device for a new one.

[ This Message was edited by: Frubin on 2006-07-09 20:07 ]
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-09 21:47
yeh, it may have voided the warrenty, but as its from argos im sure it will be ok, although they will not recover the music under any circumstances so unless its backed up you wont get it off it without a bit of knowhow
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
Frubin
HTC Desire
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 00:24
It properly has, but Argos won't know if she doesn't say anything.

I know, it looks like she has killed her player for good as she has tried to reset the player and another AC/DC adaptor set on 5V and the player will not charge or switch on.

I doubt there is any way she can retrieve that 18GB of music on the hard-disk, so it is lost for good. so it wouldn't really matter if they wiped the hard-disk.

[ This Message was edited by: Frubin on 2006-07-10 09:02 ]
Frubin
HTC Desire
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 09:56
My friend got a reply from the techinical support team and this is what they said:

Quote:
The problem probably occurred when the battery went flat. Can you still
connect it too your computer and access the Removable Disk. If so please go to http://www.arwservices.co.uk and download the latest firmware and installation instructions. Install it and see if it will sort out the problem. You may need to have the adaptor plugged in and live to do this in order to provide power if the battery is flat.]

If this does not work you should take it back to Argos for replacement.

Please then do the firmware upgrade on the replacement product as soon as you can. This is strongly recommended.

Regards

Alan

Venturer Support

I dobut she will able to get the player to detect as a "removable disk" on her PC as it needs to be on first then connected to the PC via the USB cable but it doesn't even switch on nor charge!

Oh well looks like its off to Argos for a replacement.

I'll tell her to label her chargers with a silver permament marker pen as well so she doesn't do the same mistake again!

[ This Message was edited by: Frubin on 2006-07-10 09:00 ]
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 11:08
lol, its really weird, in 17 years and been surrounded in electronics I have never done that to one of my mp3 players or devices lol
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
Frubin
HTC Desire
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 13:31
Well mistakes do happen i guess.

[ This Message was edited by: Frubin on 2006-07-10 12:32 ]
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 13:32
Lol! Looks like somebody stepped on my turf here . I'm the king of exchanging chargers by mistake. This one time I carried my Creative PMC charger to work and plugged it into my Vaio. I didnt need to use my vaio all day, so I got home and then realised that it was the wrong charger, luckily no harm done, Infact my vaio even charged up to full!!
Visit My Blog : Debu's Innovations

'When nine hundred years old you will be, look as good, you will not' - Yoda
Frubin
HTC Desire
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 13:49
@ Debu: Eek, lucky, it didn't do any damage to your Vaio and charged it instead!

I guess it may have been the voltage or the polarity difference on the Nokia charger that killed my friends MP3 player.

[ This Message was edited by: Frubin on 2006-07-10 12:49 ]
quickhippo
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-07-11 17:03
oh dear
did this get sorted in the end|?
Frubin
HTC Desire
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-11 23:45