Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > E-mail account K800

123  Next
Author E-mail account K800
skinbop
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-09 17:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi

I've just got myself a K800 and would like to be able to use the e-mail option (sending and receiving etc) using my Yahoo or Windows Live Mail account but am having problems after having the details sent to my phone.

I have been on the website and followed the instructions to get the settings sent to my phone, yet when i try to send an e-mail it states that the username and/or password is invalid. I tried it for two separate e-mail accounts but got the same error message.

Could anyone point me in the right direction on what i need to do next or how i do the setup manually?

ps: I did a quick search before i posted but couldn't find a direct answer to what i was looking for (although im sure its out there, there are quite alot of posts )

Thanx peeps

[ This Message was edited by: skinbop on 2006-07-09 16:35 ]
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-07-09 23:57
mate, go to sonyericsson's website...go to support...then click on email. it'll ask you to select model, country, network, then select provider...i'm on o2, so i selected o2. then it'll ask you to select a incoming email server..scroll down the list and select. then enter you username, followed by your password etc...then, finally, enter your mobile number..and send. settings arrive, install..and your done...
ghostfreak
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-09 23:58
Nice and easy
http://www.ghostrx.net
T300 > T610 > K700i > K750i > K800i > K850i > W910i > K850i (after flash with R1FA035) > C905 (broken earpiece as of 23/01/09) > BB 9000 > BB Bold 9700 > SE Experia X10 Mini Pro
skinbop
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 00:03
Yeh that's what i did which is why im pretty puzzled as to why its come up with the username/password incorrect error.

I have tried it a few times since and still get the same error which would lead you to beleive that im doing something wrong, but i don't see how i could be. I've definately got my username etc correct when inputting it.

Thanks for the reponse though guys. I will figure this thing out one day lol

Steve
leerichards
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 09:06
skinbop,

There are a number of us having exactly the same issue as yourself. I've sent an email to 02 data support asking if they have any ideas. I tried calling, but when I wasn't being put on hold, I was being put through to the wrong department. I was eventually given a direct dial number for the data support team, but the number didn't work!

Of course I'll post as soon as (if) I get a response.

Lee
englishmanabroad
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 09:31
I too am finding this strange. I have plenty of experience setting the mail accounts for SE phones manually or over the air from SE, Orange or O2. No matter what I try, I cannot seem to get it to work. I would be interested to hear from those that have no connection issues what their software config details are - K800i on O2 (3G Sim not activated) - Software version CXC1250210 R1CB001; 060608 Sony Ericsson
dreamfish
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 17:08
whats the incoming email server if i want to use hotmail???
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 17:35
Only some email providers will allow email to be picked up from your mobile. On most you have to have a Premium email account and not the basic one.

I would check with your email provider first, if I was you.

e.g. I found out that O2 don't allow basic email to be picked up on their PAYG handsets.

Although, O2 will allow upgraded email to be sent to contract phones.

Check with your provider.

skinbop
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 18:37
Thanks for the reponse guys - i'll check with my provider.

shadwellal
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 21:52
I am also unable to send e-mails from my k800 - receiving them no problem. In esttingsunder advanced settings, the outgoing username and password are both blank. Is that how it should be?
leerichards
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 22:25
From a post by altemyr in the 'technical' forum

It's definitely an operator dependant problem. The email client in the K800 seems to send username and password to the SMTP server regardless of whether there is a username and password filled in or not, and there is no way of telling the client not to send username and password. The smtp server I'm told to connect to, does not want the user validation and obviously, its response is interpreted by the K800 as "Invalid username or password".
A workaround is to choose another email provider, I found one which is free of charge and who has an SMTP server that does require user validation, and using that server, I can send emails with the K800. The only problem with that server is that it's very slow, it can take up to 24 hours for an email to reach its recipient.

I have emailed both SE and 02 about this issue but haven't yet had a response from either...

I'm not sure it's an operator issue, I think more of a handset issue. Mine was working perfectly until I changed handset. No change to mobile provider or ISP.

Lee
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-07-11 19:24
[quote]
On 2006-07-10 17:35:03, goldenface wrote:
Only some email providers will allow email to be picked up from your mobile. On most you have to have a Premium email account and not the basic one.

I would check with your email provider first, if I was you.

e.g. I found out that O2 don't allow basic email to be picked up on their PAYG handsets.

Although, O2 will allow upgraded email to be sent to contract phones.

Check with your provider. ]

Some o2 brande handset's may not allow email, but most handset's from other place's as cpw provide generic model's..all the phones ive had from o2 (cpw etc) have been easy for email..
leerichards
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-13 10:29
02 data support eventually responded to my email, but simply attached the general email settings that we're all fully aware of. I've replied explaining that my phone already has these settings and I've attached altemyr's suggestion as to what the problem is.

Lee
lesve
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-13 12:04
I'm from Sweden and use K800 and using network Telia. I have
got the installation from their home page and I use incoming email
as gmail.com och MUST use outgoing Telia's own.

Incoming email woks OK but I have the problem with receiving. It will talk about something TLS/SSL problem even if I not use that in outgoing.
(Note incoming gmail use SSL)
figgeo
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-07-16 22:47
Quote:

On 2006-07-13 12:04:12, lesve wrote:
I'm from Sweden and use K800 and using network Telia. I have
got the installation from their home page and I use incoming email
as gmail.com och MUST use outgoing Telia's own.

Incoming email woks OK but I have the problem with receiving. It will talk about something TLS/SSL problem even if I not use that in outgoing.
(Note incoming gmail use SSL)

But can you send mail true gmail is you have telias smpt server?
I got telenor from sweden and i can recive mails but cant send any..
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi