Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > can a k800 access my adsl via bluetooth?

Previous  123 45 ... 141516  Next
Author can a k800 access my adsl via bluetooth?
speedyandre
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-05 23:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi guys

The English manual for the K750 is a translation of my dutch manual and I've based it on the efforts Maxwedge when he got it working on a T610
The K800 white paper tells "connect the phone to the internet using bluetooth" so I think this couldn't be misunderstood
Also you could make a new data connection using bluetooth and I suppose a PAN connection is available according to the manual.
I don't have a K800, else it would be working right now because my bluetooth dongle has PAN support

André
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-08-06 01:06
Found this: http://knowledgebase.sonyeric[....]etwork&resultType=5002#Goto177

A bit long but it works.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
kryptonite
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-06 01:49
sounds cool, It sounds like this PAN function works, but peeps need to find out if the BT on their computers support the service. I think its great that SE have added this to there general phones as this would be used to suf the net whist someone is using the computer for free. Almost like Wifi (Cant wait for P990)

Oh and its good to use the computers mic and speakers via the BT connection whist on the phone instead of using the phone, its a much better loud speaker.

BT on computers should stream music too if the service is there.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-06 03:16
Quote:

On 2006-08-06 01:06:47, sapporobaby wrote:
Found this:

Yep, that info is from the white papers. The K800 whitepaper says exactly the same thing:
"Bluetooth™ PAN:
Connect the phone to Internet using Bluetooth™." I quoted it several post's back.

I think we've well and truly established that SE intend the K800 to be able to connect to the internet through a computer, the question is how...
speedyandre
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-06 13:09
Maybe it's interesting to post which BT dongles support PAN.
I've got 2 class 1 dongles, the oldest one is an Air2u bt1.2 dongle and using Widcomm 5.x drivers it has PAN support.
My newest dongle is the Cellink BTA-6030 bt2.0 supporting everything you could think of including edr (2-3Mb/s data rate).
This dongle can work with Toshiba or Widcomm drivers (has Toshiba chip).
I can setup a PAN network between these dongles so that's enough proof for me

André
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-06 17:39
It'd be the rare bluetooth 2.0 dongle that doesn't support pan, most will.
CaRMaN
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-13 23:21
Sorry if this seems ignorant, but can i ask what is the point? Why would you want to browse on your phone if your within reach of a broadband connection, and i assume, therefore a PC ?

I'm not being rude, i just cant see the point?!
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-08-13 23:51
Quote:

On 2006-08-13 23:21:54, CaRMaN wrote:
Sorry if this seems ignorant, but can i ask what is the point? Why would you want to browse on your phone if your within reach of a broadband connection, and i assume, therefore a PC ?

I'm not being rude, i just cant see the point?!

Good question. I for one would like to use it with my WorldMate application. I have to switch out cards just to update it because my work SIM does not have any data services activated.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
emanuelj
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-31 23:08
any info?
speedyandre
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2006-09-02 01:25
I've tried to find out more about 'bluetooth internet' under bluetooth settings and this is what the info label says:

'Use this function to connect your computer to the internet via your phone, using the bluetooth Personal Area Networking function.'

This means that you can't connect your phone with PAN to make use of your pc's broadband connection, it works the other way
The white paper of the K800 lets me think it could also work the other way but that seems not to be the intention of PAN.

Another test proves to me that PAN is meant to connect your pc to the internet using your phone:
I disconnected the LAN on my pc so it can't connect to my broadband modem.
Then I make a PAN connection to my phone.
When I refresh IE on my pc the globe on my K800 appears an it tries to connect to gprs!
I can disconnect the PAN when I go the connection settings and then to data communication, here I can choose disconnect.
Of course you can disconnect PAN on the pc's bluetooth settings or on the new 3Mb network icon in the tray

André
wakeelm
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-12-04 16:19
I hope everybody sees this entry. I can see that last activity was more than 2 months ago and there is almost a conclusion that you can use PAN only to access internet from your PC through your mobile. Of course you can do that, but you can also use it to access internet from your mobile through your PC. I have just managed to complete this connection with my k800i and it works beautifully. This seems to be inactive for a while, so, I will not write the exact steps to make the connection unless I see at least someone interested.
AznRacerNSX
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-06 08:23
Hey wakeelm i'm interested lol... been reading this post and trying to figure it out. Driving me nuts! lol Can you please lay out the steps =) thanks !

peace.
daremo
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-06 10:46

here is a link that should help you with your question

http://www.phonetutorials.tk/
wakeelm
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-12-06 11:59
There you go:

First, setup Bluetooth to work with your phone. You should be using Broadcom (formally Widcomm) software rather than microsoft. Broadcom software is supplied with almost every bluetooth dongle and laptops with built in bluetooth. In my case, I'm using IBM laptop T43 and wedcom 5.0.1 that was preloaded. From "my bluetooth places" add your K800i the normal way. You will find one of the services named "PAN Network Access Point". This you can use to access Internet from your laptop through the mobile internet profile defined in the "Bluetooth Internet" setting under Blue tooth.

This is the first part where you can access Internet from your PC through your phone. Using this service will create the data account that you will need later to access internet the opposite way; from your phone through your PC.

Take a note of the data account created (probably with the name of your computer) that has the bluetooth icon next to it.

Now create an internet profile on you phone using the data account created above. Add here the proxy, user id, and password that are required to access the internet from your PC (if any). Make this profile the default internet profile. Don't forget to make the default for Java as well.

That's all on the phone side. Now go to your PC and open "My bluetooth places". Choose "My bluetooth services" from the bluetooth tasks" menu. You should see now the bluetooth services the PC is offering. Now open the properties for "My network access" service.

Now change the type of service offered to remote devices to "Allow other devices to access the internet/LAN via this computer.

Last step. Configure your computer to allow sharing the internet. You can use the MS wizard to create a home/office network or manually from your internet network connection whether it is Lan or Wifi and allow the newly created "Bluetooth Network" connection to share the internet.

That's all. Now you should enjoy internet on your phone without the extra cost of your mobile operator.

Please let me know if this was helpful or if more details are needed.

[ This Message was edited by: wakeelm on 2006-12-07 11:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: wakeelm on 2006-12-07 11:29 ]
AznRacerNSX
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-06 17:18
Hey Just wanted to say THANKS! I haven't tried it yet, but thanks guys for responding so so quickly! I'll keep everyone posted when i get it to work, then i can help others as well.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 141516  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic