Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > can a k800 access my adsl via bluetooth?

Previous  123 4 ... 141516  Next
Author can a k800 access my adsl via bluetooth?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-17 16:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
but the question is how to make the K800 work. Peeps have come here saying they can't get it to work.

I wasn't saying that K800 can't do it, just that the steps may be different in setting it up compared to the M600. The link you provided doesn't help squat in setting up the K800, unless the sections I quoted are relevant to the K800. I posted the quotes so peeps can check if their K800's have the same or similar menu options available.

I actually mentioned the white paper somewhere earlier in this thread (1st page) about the K800 supporting lan access to internet via PAN, so it's not me you have to convince.

If I had the phone in my hand I'm sure I could tell these peeps exactly how to set it up - these things are usually self explanatory when you have an understanding of the generic process.

Some people mentioned that it doesn't work, so as a kind of disclaimer I did say that SE MAY be smoke and mirrors but I wasn't saying I believe that - it was just a disclaimer. I fully believe the K800 will allow access to internet via lan on pan. It's other peeps in this thread who are the doubting thomases.

Maybe you ares can find a K800 and tell us all what the settings are?

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-07-17 15:15 ]

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-07-17 15:23 ]
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-07-17 22:45
i also don´t have a k800, so i can´t help people...but i also saw initialy people saying it wouldn´t work on M600...
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-18 05:45
I'm pretty confident it'll work too.

However let's not forget SE aren't always that clear or informative in their white papers. Remember they claimed in the whitepaper for K750:

Quote:
USB mass storage.

A USB (Universal Serial Bus) cable is included in the box. The USB cable allows easy connection of the mobile phone to a computer. To be able to use the USB cable with the phone, driver routines must be installed on the computer. The drivers will be available on the CD in the kit or can be downloaded from www.SonyEricsson.com/support.

When the user connects the phone to a computer via the USB cable, the Memory Stick storage in the phone will appear as a drive on the computer. The user can then drag and drop any supported information
to complete a transfer.

Now if peeps didn't read that carefully they would only see "USB Mass Storage", which is not technically true. It infers that the device is Mass Storage Device compliant. That's what I mean about smoke and mirrors. However SE do say that drivers are needed, likewise the K800 whitepaper clearly says "Bluetooth™ PAN
Connect the phone to Internet using Bluetooth™"

So I'm presuming at this stage that it will work.

max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-18 18:43
It says this in the K800 user guide under the section about what you can do with bluetooth:

Quote:

connect to computers and access the internet

As far as I'm concerned it's official, it can do it. So you peeps who are trying, keep trying

One thing is you'll need to enable Internet Connection Sharing on your windows box to enable it as an internet gateway for PAN clients, (that means you may have problems with your network unless you know how to work around it).
BuJasim
K700
PM
Posted: 2006-07-27 10:44
I know you guy are talking about using the internet connection to browse with the phone, but is anyone else beside me having problems connecting their laptops to their K800i GPRS connections?

It used to work fine with the K700, but doesn't work with the K800, and I have a feeling it may be because of the BT modem script. Which one is optimal for the K800, is it "SE Modem over Bluetooth link"? There are scripts for all other SE models, but not for K800i. Any advice? Or any particular thing I might be missing to use the phone's GPRS connection to connect with the laptop?

I'm on a 3G area but want to connect GPRS.
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-07-27 13:45
Your question illustrates where this connect to internet thing has gone a bit off track. The pan is for simplifying the phone connection to the internet as a modem. depending on whether you choose usb or bluetooth internet connection there are no settings or modem scripts needed on you pc. i've been using both for weeks you simply plug in or choose pan and you're away as soon as you open a browser
BuJasim
K700
PM
Posted: 2006-07-27 15:01
Hmm, do you use the PC Suite/Mobile Connection Wizard to achieve that, or you simply turn on BT on the phone and Laptop and then simply browse? I checked the BT settings and found the BT Internet settings and directed it to the GPRS account configured on the phone, but there must be something missing after that. I used to use the Mobile Connection Wizard before to connect with the K700 and assumed it's the same with the K800.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-07-28 19:39
Quote:

On 2006-07-27 15:01:35, BuJasim wrote:
Hmm, do you use the PC Suite/Mobile Connection Wizard to achieve that, or you simply turn on BT on the phone and Laptop and then simply browse? I checked the BT settings and found the BT Internet settings and directed it to the GPRS account configured on the phone, but there must be something missing after that. I used to use the Mobile Connection Wizard before to connect with the K700 and assumed it's the same with the K800.

Salaams BuJasim (Father of Jasim),

Where in Kuwait are you? I will be back in Salmiya on Tuesday. PM me if you want.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-29 03:24
Quote:

On 2006-07-27 15:01:35, BuJasim wrote:

you must enable the pan service on the computer.
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-07-29 13:52
You don't need to use mobile connection wizard. On the phone you tell the USB and Bluetooth internet settings which data account you want to use. Then for bluetooth you enable the PAN profile on the PC or for USB you simply plug it in. Then as soon as you connect by either PAN or USB your internet requests will go via the phone.

Dead simple and that is what the USB/BT internet connection is for not browsing the web on your phone via the cable or BT as seems to be popular opinion.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-30 17:29
actually, SE do specifically state in the K800 whitepaper that the K800 can access the internet on a pc by using bluetooth. It also says a computer can use bluettoh pan to access the phone's gprs, so it seems they are tlaking about both, not just one or the other.
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-07-30 18:14
If we were meant to be able to do it, it would work without having to faff about with the sdk. I think it's more likely a badly worded paragraph. The nets wouldn't like it and they're locking wifi out on some. Ericsson aren't going to allow sonyericsson to damage a relationship with nets are they?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-30 18:43
no, no, no...the sdk method is too fiddly, there is a better way with the K800. The K800 supports bluetooth pan ie: it can act as a dhcp client via bluetooth, so you enable bluetooth pan on your computer and share the internet, it can be used by the phone.

Nothing to do with the SDK, that only applies to K750 etc which don't have bluetooth PAN.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-08-05 06:24
Hey Max are you talking about making a BT connection to the phone via the computer and then using the 3G/GPRS connection to surf the web? If so, I have done this plenty of times. IN fact there is a piece of software from NovaMedia that makes this set up very easy. Works 10000000000% of the time, every time.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-05 06:44
Quote:

On 2006-08-05 06:24:39, sapporobaby wrote:
Hey Max are you talking about making a BT connection to the phone via the computer and then using the 3G/GPRS connection to surf the web? If so, I have done this plenty of times. IN fact there is a piece of software from NovaMedia that makes this set up very easy. Works 10000000000% of the time, every time.

No, I'm talking about making the internet profile on the K800 use the pan bluetooth connection to access the internet connection on a computer. If this is possible, as SE say it is, then you will be able to browse the web with the K800's inbuilt browser using the internet connection on the computer. The exact opposite of what you are talking about. I've been using my phone as a gprs modem since the T610..

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-08-05 05:50 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 141516  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic