Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > can a k800 access my adsl via bluetooth?

Previous  123 ... 141516  Next
Author can a k800 access my adsl via bluetooth?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 01:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2006-07-10 00:41:40, karl.othen wrote:
well i have spent the last hour trying to get it to work??
can't seem to get any of my com ports to connect to my k800 via my bluetooth dongal

any more info regarding set up on the k800?

get what to work? Com ports has nothing to do with bluetooth PAN.

If you are talking about PAN, you need a dongle that supports PAN (most) and you need to connect the PAN service on the copmputer to the PAN service on your phone. Nothing to do with com ports. Com ports are for setting up virtual serial connections.
karl.othen
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 02:38
sorry, when following this link http://users.skynet.be/yozy/tutorials/k750-1.htm
it asks to enter the com port your bluetooth dongal is connected too and then change the baud rate.
looks like my post is over most peoples heads, unless some one cares to share some info???????
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-10 06:52
Quote:

On 2006-07-10 02:38:11, karl.othen wrote:
sorry, when following this link http://users.skynet.be/yozy/tutorials/k750-1.htm
it asks to enter the com port your bluetooth dongal is connected too and then change the baud rate.
looks like my post is over most peoples heads, unless some one cares to share some info???????

it's not over our heads mate. You asked about a K800 connection to the internet through the computer. Well as it happens there are two methods. The device explorer method in the link you posted, and the method that uses Bluetooth PAN. Both should be possible with K800. The Bluetooth PAN method is likely to be a lot simpler to use than the Device Explorer method, so you should be looking at this method first. The bluetooth PAN method has nothing to do with the device explorer method so com ports aren't relavent.

HOWEVER, if you really want to try the device explorer method, then it should also work.

When you get to the point of specifying the com port, have you actually checked the com port in your bluetooth settings?
The com port (serial port) for your bluetooth dongle is the com port you need.

Can you see the serial ports in bluetooth settings or are they absent? Can you send files between the phone and computer using bluetooth normally? Can you access the serial ports using My Phone Explorer or similar?

Answers to these questions might help us narrow down the problem.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-07-10 05:59 ]
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-10 12:31
I see something like this in my bt dongle driver

I use my adsl over my ethernet ,so maybe enabling access to ethernet card will give a chance to use the internet?

I dont have a k800,so i cant try it.
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us - Winston Churchill
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-11 00:00
Quote:

On 2006-07-10 12:31:27, shyam335 wrote:

I use my adsl over my ethernet ,so maybe enabling access to ethernet card will give a chance to use the internet?

That means the Computer then provides an ip address to the connected bluetooth device that has PAN. In other words create a network connection. Presumably the K800 internet profile can use or be told to use the bluetooth PAN as the gateway for internet. Then when you access the internal phone browser, it will use the bluetooth pan network instead of the gprs.

But I haven't actually seen this done yet - we are relying on the fact SE say you can do it. I am dead keen to try but probably won't get a hold of a K800 for a little while yet.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2006-07-15 03:11
Quote:

On 2006-07-11 00:00:14, max_wedge wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-07-10 12:31:27, shyam335 wrote:

That means the Computer then provides an ip address to the connected bluetooth device that has PAN. In other words create a network connection. Presumably the K800 internet profile can use or be told to use the bluetooth PAN as the gateway for internet. Then when you access the internal phone browser, it will use the bluetooth pan network instead of the gprs.

But I haven't actually seen this done yet - we are relying on the fact SE say you can do it. I am dead keen to try but probably won't get a hold of a K800 for a little while yet.

Quick question Max, any idea how to make this work on a Mac? Our BT is already active and does not need any special setup. Just connect and go. Also, when I connect the cable it seems to connect to the Internet or attempts to.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-15 04:39
Quote:

On 2006-07-15 03:11:03, sapporobaby wrote:
Quick question Max, any idea how to make this work on a Mac? Our BT is already active and does not need any special setup. Just connect and go. Also, when I connect the cable it seems to connect to the Internet or attempts to.

It's not the bluetooth on the computer side that is in question as such. A PC is capable of providing bluetooth PAN services when the adapters supports the PAN profile. Windows XP SP2 supports Bluetooth PAN natively.

The question is whether the K800 itself can use the it's own Bluetooth PAN client to establish a network connection that the internal browser will use instead of the mobile data account. Have a look in the internet profile on the K800 and see if it has the ability to select Bluetooth PAN as the data carrier, or something along those lines. If you can it should then attempt to use your mac as the data gateway.

It would also be interesting if you could access network shares via the pan, ie: use the K800 to browse your network! I am VERY interested in that functionality.
emanuelj
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-15 18:07
No info here?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-15 19:02
you tell me....is it possible to select bluetooth pan for data on the K800 handsets? In internet profile settings or data account settings - I presume in the connectivity menu.

Work with me here...I don't have the handset, you need to be my eyes
emanuelj
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-16 00:43
And I don't have bluetooth at this time, as I am on vacation...

Can't see any options about using PAN under the data accounts ...
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-16 03:24
hmmmm, maybe this whole connect to the internet is smoke and mirrors by SE. Maybe they really only mean that you can connect a computer to the internet via the phone PAN, though this is only a mild improvement over using the bluetooth gprs modem over bluetooth.

ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-07-16 03:27
In my-symbian forum there is a thread about setting up a bluetooth PAN connection on M600 - it should work also for k800
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-16 03:59
in the K800's BT menu, there is an item called Bluetooth Internet on the list. when you click on this, it just gives you a choice of which data account you want to use to access the internet.

therefore, i take it that the phone simplifies the process of using it as a modem for your computer but not the other way around.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-16 15:45
Quote:

On 2006-07-16 03:27:02, ares wrote:
In my-symbian forum there is a thread about setting up a bluetooth PAN connection on M600 - it should work also for k800

not necessarily. M600 is a smart phone, K800 is not. Smartphone traditionally have LAN services built in or third party solutions are available so it's no big step. K800 however may not be so flexible.

This is the section in question that makes the M600 work, we need to make these same settings if possible on the K800:

Quote:
[Goto Internet accounts on your M600 and create a new account, give it a name and add your PC from he devices tab, add it to the "Internet" group when prompted.

s.t.s from my-symbian forum.

There is also this option mentioned later inthe thread:
"Create in the phone a new Bluetooth™ Local account [PAN]. " suggesting when creating accounts, you can select PAN.

If the K800 has those same options, then I'd say we are in business.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-07-16 14:51 ]
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-07-17 11:51
max, what SE intended when adding BT PAN to both M600 and k800 is exactly the same, you just have to read the withepaper to realize that
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 141516  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic