Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > K800 Firmware Overview

Previous  123 ... 196197198 ... 302303304  Next
Author K800 Firmware Overview
robbo9mir
K700
PM
Posted: 2007-01-22 12:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2007-01-22 11:37:39, mart1711 wrote:
hiya everyone, am new to this forum just wondering if anyone can help me!!! Ive converted to SE from a lifetime of nokias, been reading this forum and am interested in the debranding from the wotan server. Im on 3UK, if i install the debrand will i be able to turn off the 3g capability and use a gsmonly option like i could on my nokias? thanks, martin

Can you not do that on 3UK anyway? My K800i on Orange UK was rubbish with regard to signal strength when 3g was on. Since I selected GSM only it's now excellent.

Just used SEUS to update to R1GB001 and it's finally stopped me accidentally connecting to the internet by putting a delay on the button. Really pleased with this phone now, much better than my K750. Can even record voice tags through the BT headset. Never could get that to work with the 750.
caryncyh
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-01-22 13:25
i was wondering if there would be a firmware/software (what's the difference? sorry, i'm dumb) for Japanese input so that i could write my messages in Japanese (hiragana/katakana). any idea if there's any out or something?

btw, thanks a lot for sharing those updates!
m666
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-01-22 13:54
i have uploaded R1GB into my K800i n i'm very pleased with it as it solves the phonebook search problem i had earlier.
I have installed more than 100 java games on my phone n one fine day ive decided to delee some of it n a very peculiar problem arises.

I have duplicates of java games on my phone now n i find that very annoying !
whenever i highlight one for deletion i always get the same error message - Operation failed !

please help
aremaboy
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-01-22 14:11
Was the update via SEUS or Wotan? Just like EROM damage bug, Operation failed bug happens only to few users. Try to re-update or reflash the phone.
mart1711
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-01-22 20:40
oh right thanks nice to see it will be on the menu. 3UK ALWAYS remove the gsm only option from their fones. mainly because they have no sm masts at all and its only gonna cost them more when you can only reach a gsm signal!!
bronxdude
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
PM
Posted: 2007-01-22 21:37
any significant improvements in playing mp3? volume?
louis*cyphre
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 02:04
CID = This "number" defines the version of SE's protection present in the phone.New CIDs are deployed from time to time, for the sole reason of preventing them from beeing unlocked/flashed/tampered with by non-SE service tools. Current CIDs in use by SE are 29/36/37/49. SE-based LG/Sharp phones use the same system (but different versions). The OTP (One Time Programmable memory) and EROM of a phone might be protected by different CIDs, usually the case in newer K600s/K608s.

CDA = This "number" defines which variant of a specific firmware a phone is supposed to have.It lets among others SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) know which language-pack/branding/bandlocks a phone is to be flashed with. A generic (unbranded) K750 for use in Scandinavia will be CDA102337/12, whilst a Telenor-branded K750 will be CDA102338/62. Both will be flashed with the same languages/dictionaries, but the latter will be flashed with Telenor-branded firmware.

BLUE/BROWN/RED:This "color" defines what kind of phone we are dealing with.BLUE phones has been assembled at the factory, but never been programmed with software/GDFS/IMEI (remember kids: the IMEI is stored in the OTP (One Time Programmable memory))BROWN phones are "developer phones", for testing. Less restrictions are present, as these are used for "debugging/beta" purposes. As of CID36, a phone has to be converted to BROWN to unlock it.RED phones are your typical retail ones.

GDFS:This is the phones "stash", where all settings and calibration data is stored (this also goes for the firmwares IMEI-resource as well as the SIMlocks). Similar to other brands use of NVRAM (Non-Viotile Random Access Memory).

IMEI = International Mobile Equipment Identity.A 15-digit number which includes information on the origin, model, and serial number of the device. The model and origin comprise the initial 8-digit portion of the IMEI, known as the "Type Allocation Code/TAC". The remainder of the IMEI is manufacturer-defined, with a "Luhn check digit" at the end (which is never transmitted). The "Luhn check digit" is calculated from the rest of the IMEI.
It should be noted that in SE-based phones, the IMEI is stored in two places, the OTP (One Time Programmable memory) and GDFS. The GDFS IMEI is normally read from the OTP, but this can be circumvented by SETool function to "change" the IMEI. This patches the firmware into allowing different OTP/GDFS IMEIs. It is the GDFS IMEI that is reported to the network, so changing this will "de-bar" blocked phones. SEUS is not fooled by this, on the other hand, and it should also be noted that doing this is illegal in most countries.

EMMA = Service software/solution by SE themselves. Protected by the EMMA smartcard to prevent non-licensed usage. Current version is EMMA3, though EMMA2 is still alive (but kinda useless on newer phones). The EMMA smartcard contains an algorithm that allows EMMA to communicate directly to/with the phones CID, so performing operations the way they were intended. The smartcard and its algorithm has not been cracked. Current EMMA access levels exists:Service Update - Can't unlock phones.Service Update Pro - Can't unlock phones.Network Operator - Can't unlock phones (but sure as hell can lock them ).Service Center Std - Can't unlock phones.Service Center Rc - Can unlock phones, as they have a special version of the smartcard with a CSCA key.Research & Development - Can unlock phones, as they have a special version of the smartcard with a CSCA key.

DB2000, DB2010, DB2020 = SEMC (Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications) hardware platforms. It's something similar to chipset in PC.DB2000 (another name is Marita) is a GSM+3G(UMTS) capable platform, SE K600/K608/V600/Z800/W900, Sharp 802sh, 902sh, 903sh and LG 3G phones are based on it.DB2010/2012 (Marita compact) is GSM-only, non-3G, platform. Most not very old and modern SE phones like K300,K500,K700,K750,S700,W300,W550,W800,Z520,Z530 are based on this chipset.DB2020 is the newest product of SEMC. K800, K790, K610, Z710 etc, Sharp 904sh feature this most secure (from SE's point of view) platform.
hanugro
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 02:47
Adding to above post (from Davinci Team forum):

EROM: Extended ROM. This is the base part of the software which isn't flashed in normal update operations. It controls the flashing interface, the boot loader, etc.

Firmware has two parts:
1. FS: It contains languages, images, sounds, animations, settings, etc. Anything that isn't pure software.
2. Main: It contain the software.

[ This Message was edited by: hanugro on 2007-01-23 01:51 ]
aremaboy
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 05:40
And basically SE 'hates' it so much as 3rd party flashers out there do better job than SEUS or SESC. That's why they improve the security to CID 51 but they sell the firmwares to Wotan? Aargh..
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 08:18
I have found a new bug in R1GB001:
If I try to open a link to an RSS feed, either nothing happens, or I gt an error message aying that the file type is not supported by the phone. There is no possibility to copy the URL into the RSS input window. The only way I have found is to write the address down on a paper first.
patrick_teo
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 10:48
Quote:

On 2007-01-11 09:29:51, patrick_teo wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-10-09 03:42:20, patrick_teo wrote:
I have updated my firmware to R1ED001, but when synchronizing with MS Outlook contacts, the following happens:

1. Phone freezes at "Sending 277"
2. Sync Summary shows:
Items synchronised: 0
Errors: 1 General
Error due to: No connection - OR_MPM_OBEX_OP_TIMEOUT
3. Phone restarts to USB connection screen for selecting File Transfer, Phone Mode or Print Pic

Anyone knows how to overcome this problem?

R1GB001 solved this problem.

Correction! Found that the synchronization problem occurs when pictures and/or ringtones are added to contacts.
hanugro
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 10:52
Quote:

On 2007-01-23 10:48:15, patrick_teo wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-01-11 09:29:51, patrick_teo wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-10-09 03:42:20, patrick_teo wrote:
I have updated my firmware to R1ED001, but when synchronizing with MS Outlook contacts, the following happens:

1. Phone freezes at "Sending 277"
2. Sync Summary shows:
Items synchronised: 0
Errors: 1 General
Error due to: No connection - OR_MPM_OBEX_OP_TIMEOUT
3. Phone restarts to USB connection screen for selecting File Transfer, Phone Mode or Print Pic

Anyone knows how to overcome this problem?

R1GB001 solved this problem.

Correction! Found that the synchronization problem occurs when pictures and/or ringtones are added to contacts.

Use My Phone Explorer http://www.fjsoft.at/en/ It is fast and small. Don't know if it can sync with Outlook though. Have you updated the SE PC Suite? Maybe the bug is with PC Suite not the phone firmware.

Edit: MPE 1.5.8 CAN sync with Outlook. It needs VB runtime but it is very good program.

[ This Message was edited by: hanugro on 2007-01-23 13:24 ]
patrick_teo
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 10:57
Yes, I am using the latest PC Suite 1.30.53
aremaboy
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 13:42
Other finding on R1GB001/SEUS/EROM R3A011/CID 51:
Try to record a video. Open the lens cover, select video mode. Then you find out that the start up view finder is rather pixelated, kind of low resolution I think. The outline of objects viewed there is not smooth, just like resolution lines on conventional TV screen. I don't know the right term... But, as you press the record button and record the video, the picture is not that pixelated anymore. Normal record, although yes, the quality is low..
Anyway, you can compare this 'pixelated' start up when you move to camera mode. In camera mode, the view finder is just normal, very sharp and not pixelated. Only in video mode this flaw happens. Also, very temporarily, very intermittantly, as you finish recording a video and directly play it--once again directly play it, not move to File Manager or Video Player---the video you record shows lines flash just like pixelated image ONLY at the beginning. Anyway, it may be caused by its low quality video..When you view it from File Manager, the video is just fine. Hm, just minor flaw. My phone only, perhaps?

EDIT: What I mean as pixelated is when you view object with straight line like posts, masts, or the outline of square objects. To test, prepare a piece of white paper, put on a dark background, black for instance. Try get focused, move the camera and you'll see that the start up view finder is not that smooth compared to camera mode. The outline of paper is pixelated, full of lines. I think it's because of the low resolution too..and compare the video result. It's not pixelated that much...

Next finding:
Go to camera mode and choose either Twilight Landscape, Landscape or Beach/Snow scene setting. Try to capture an object. Then what can you see on the result? Yes, the picture taken is ALWAYS BIGGER than what the viewfinder displayed before. To test, try to capture your fingers. Make sure to put the thumb, e.g, very close to the frame of the viewfinder. Then,click. See the result. Your thumb shot may be cut a bit...
And I'm sure my hand is not shaking when taking the picture. In other scenes, Auto, Twilight Portrait, Portrait, Sports and Document, what the viewfinder displays is EXACTLY what the picture shows as the result. You can try capturing the same object with these different scene settings. What do you think?

[ This Message was edited by: aremaboy on 2007-01-23 13:42 ]
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-01-23 20:45
Quote:

On 2007-01-23 05:40:00, aremaboy wrote:
And basically SE 'hates' it so much as 3rd party flashers out there do better job than SEUS or SESC. That's why they improve the security to CID 51 but they sell the firmwares to Wotan? Aargh..

They hate it because people jack up their phones and then bring them to SE repair shops to get fixed. People say, :"No I didn't use a third party flasher", but SE knows they did and then the fight starts. SE won't fix the phone for free and the person feels SE should. Straight from the SE tech support in Finland.

Also, the k800i is on the way out. No need to wish and hope for more firmware upgrades. It is an old phone.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 196197198 ... 302303304  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic