Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > LG "Chocolate" phone Reviewed

123  Next
Author LG "Chocolate" phone Reviewed
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-04 01:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
So you need another phone, you don't want the RAZR because everyone has it, and you don't want a card phone because it looks too much like a calculator, but you do want something stylish. What do you opt for?

The KG800. Simple as that.

Originally released in Korea, this phone was dubbed the 'chocolate' phone because it had the scent of chocolate. (The white has the scent of lavendar and the pink the scent of roses). Sadly in Europe, the phone has no scent. (probably to avoid the lawsuit if someone mistakenly eats it.)

But what is it? Imagine an iPod, it's a cross between an iPod Nano and an m:Robe.

Amazingly it is feels much thinner than it looks and you can only help but look at it on occassion to make sure that you're not dreaming.

It's key point is that it's screen seems to blend into the fascia, with no buttons at all. Which triggers the question. So how do I use it?
Simple, slide it open or click on the volume button and the buttons glow. It's touch sensitive buttons truley mesmorize.

You'd think that it takes some time getting used to, but in fact, the buttons are intuitive and I never made a mistake when trying to press a button. Samsung seem to have caught onto the LG Chocolate success at the time of this review and decided to create their own version, however it is nowhere near as nice.

This phone is probably the most unique and innovative at the moment.
I kind of wish it had a SonyEricsson logo rather than LG, but oh well.

It has all the basic features, bluetooth, 1.3mp Camera, high color screen (amazingly clear), but is it worth it?

So, if you want an unbiased review, enjoy this one.

Specs:
128 MB internal memory (has 66mb for the phone in addition to that), Triband, has 1 (1.3 Megapixels with led flash)
Features: mp3 player (dedicated buttons), bluetooth, PC Sync, Video recording, Sound recording.
Screen: 262K internal screen (TFT)
System: LG Generic
Sound: one speaker from the earpiece.
Main feature: touch sensitive buttons.

It seems that even the box itself is nicely designed. It looks nicely designed and has a lovely red interior. Opening it up you are greeted with the phone already in the pouch. It is entirely covered in plastic (to avoid scratches). You get a cd, manual, quick guide, usb cable, charger, battery, headset, cloth/strap, and pouch.

Some would argue that the 1.3mp camera and lack of memory card slot is what lets it down. But I feel that those are simple luxuries. It's small enough to satisfy even the most critical.

So you switch on the phone, you hear a deep tune and suddenly see the glowing buttons come to life. At first you'd think that you were holding what could be a gem, but you then dismiss that fact simply because a gem doesn't look so damn sexy.

It may seem by now that I am too enthusiastic about this phone. Do not worry, the bad will be mentioned as well.

Since it's glossy, you'd think that it attracts oil easily, strangely enough fingerprints dont show that much unless under direct sunlight, and the pouch helps to wipe it as you put it in and out.

The Chocolate is very light and very small indeed, however the keypad is large enough for even the most fat fingered individual (ok maybe not THAT fat)

One of the things that annoyed me though is that the hang up and end button is on the side. Hmm... Why did they do that? The only logical explanation is due to the fact that the keys are touch sensitive, so they wanted to avoid the chance of you hanging up by mistake, however the touch buttons lock after 3 seconds (pushing the MP3 side button or volume button unlocks the touch pad).

I would have preferred it if the call button was also the hang up button.

Sound Quality on the phone is great but the bass isn't that good. However I believe the phone that I'm using has an audio problem.

Video:
Video was actually pretty good. It was smooth and didn't show much pixelation.

The camera also took very clear pictures which looked great on the phone. I have to mention that it adjusts the settings VERY fast. Faster than any phone I've used.
Even the night vision does a good job of making photos look brighter, without looking 'fake'.

You have two color schemes. Light and Dark. I wish that the light scheme actually changed the highlight color, but it doesn't. A few other schemes would have been nice.

You are also able to customize the navi pad so each direction launches a different app or menu.

Organizer.
Calendar, tasks, notes, secret memo, alarms, timer, stopwatch, record sound, calculator and world times, and a few games.

Phonebook
The phone book is nice and simple. A few taps and you're away.

Settings
Also known as the Control Panel. Anything is accessible. From brightness of the screen to sound quality.
You are able to change skins, wallpapers, ring tones, and even the sound the phone makes when you dial a number, switch the phone on, or cycle through menus.

Pros
Beautifully simple design.
Thin.
Has 1.3MP and Bluetooth
Well built.
Touch sensitive keypad.
Amazing screen.
Vibrator is strong.

Cons
No Memory card slot
Do not like the side hang up button.
SMS tones are too low.
No cloth for wiping (being picky)

My verdict? Buy it now! Nano size and sexy.

the best place to get a great deal is Fluid Mobile
http://www.fluidmobile.com

or Compare a Deal
http://www.widgx.net

Here's a bunch of pics.

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2006-05-04 00:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2006-05-05 01:02 ]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-04 01:54
very nice phone but i would have prefered it in white....don't think the white version will be available anytime soon though. [addsig]
smilerthe cheshirecat
Z600
PM
Posted: 2006-05-04 02:14
Beautiful phone... choc aholics delight
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-04 02:16
here are some specs.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_kg800-1533.php
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
shadoweaver
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-04 02:25
Nice! Great design and technology. I like the touch-sensitive navigation keys.
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2006-05-04 02:28
LG's motto: Life's Good.
Phone's name: Chocolate.
Now then, what was that famous line by Forrest Gump...?
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-04 02:28
I want white as well, but it'll be a good two months before its out (or maybe exclusive to voda)

Not too sure at the moment.

Once you actually hold one in your hands, you'll be amazed!
It's practically the size of an iPod nano.
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-05-04 04:31
How does it work compared to an SE phone?

Shame it dosnt have a memory card slot and a bigger mp camera!
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-05-04 09:16
Looks nice, espcially those touch buttons. Only thing that might be a problem would be how easy it would be to scratch it.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-04 09:46
Quality pics mate.

[ This Message was edited by: PeterKay on 2006-05-04 11:19 ]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-04 10:58
I can see why this phone was selling over 4000 units a week in korea...very classy design. [addsig]
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2006-05-04 11:04
@ amnesia,
Just out of curiosity, what camera do you use to take these great hi-res pics?
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-04 11:53
hey there, I usually use the Sony T9 or the Sanyo Xacti HD1, but I usually take the pics at 3 MP only. I personally think my photos look a bit blurry (because my hand isn't that stable). The t9 is a 5.1mp and the hd1 is a 5mp which can go up to 10mp extrapolated.

edit:
oh and I think the 128 and 1.3mp camera on the phone are good enough.
The pics it took were very awesome (or at least on the screen they were) and I'll be using this for calling and texting and showing off rather than for it's specs.

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2006-05-04 10:54 ]
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-05-04 12:05
So how much does one of these wee candy bars set you back sim free then?

and as for vodafone having it, theres nothing in the pipeline about this as far as i'm aware
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-04 12:07
no I didn't mean Voda had is or is going to have it, it was just a sarcastic remark, since they seem to snatch all the white phones these days.

Sim free it's 270 at the CPW.
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi